Pound for Pound the Greatest Fighting Fish

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Derrick-k
Commander

RE:Pound for Pound the Greatest Fighting Fish

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:05 pm

for all of you who gave your vote to the smallmouth bass, Im just wondering if you have ever hooked a chrome fresh from the tide steelhead?

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Great point.....not all of us have lots of salt experience. If broken down into two categories, those being "saltwater" and "freshwater", it's very possible that steelies would get the salt vote and smallies would get the fresh vote. But then again, steelies would then be up against everything that roams Washington's coast! I suppose this would be easier if we didn't live in a coastal state!

Shoot, may as well go with three categories and and "adronomous" in there, too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:13 pm

raffensg64 wrote:Great point.....not all of us have lots of salt experience. If broken down into two categories, those being "saltwater" and "freshwater", it's very possible that steelies would get the salt vote and smallies would get the fresh vote. But then again, steelies would then be up against everything that roams Washington's coast! I suppose this would be easier if we didn't live in a coastal state!

Shoot, may as well go with three categories and and "adronomous" in there, too.
Steelies are mostly fished in freshwater rivers.

Widgeondeke
Angler

Post by Widgeondeke » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:57 am

I'd have to vote for the SHAD. They don't weigh more than 2-4 pounds, but coupled with the river currents and there paper mouths. It makes for a lot of fighting with a gentle stick, there's no hard set and reaming out of the water. I haven't fished for shad in the Columbia, but I used to hit the Sacramento every June for this plentiful fish. Reminds me of our pink salmon season, hard not to catch'em. Looking forward to taking my kids out for some Pinks.:fish: :nemo:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:37 pm

No way a smallmouth is the best fighting fish....
A good healthy rainbow will put a bigger fight up then a smallie..

And a Coho salmon will destroy either of those...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:49 pm

smallmouth & bluegill, it's a toss up. i can't even imagine how hard a bluegill would fight if they were the size of bass =p~

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:03 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:No way a smallmouth is the best fighting fish....
A good healthy rainbow will put a bigger fight up then a smallie..

And a Coho salmon will destroy either of those...

I vote Rainbow too but not a brooder or a big trip that spent most of its life in a hatchery pond. A natural rainbow in the 5 pound class is the greatest fight
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:26 am

At this point for me, I will say smallmouth for me. This season was the first I targetted them and the first one I caught blew me away with its fight. I thought it was going to break my rod (okay, I'm exaggerating a bit) but I was so impressed with its fight. The little bugger could not have been more than two pounds yet fight so hard and tough and it never quit even when I lipped it.

I say smallmouth for now until I experience the fight of a steelhead. I have only heard stories of how they fight and look forward to hooking into one sometime soon.

Another impressive species I've fought are the chum salmon. The last brute I hook into on the Green took my new Curado D to task. It was filled to capacity, but after a phenomenal 22 minute battle, I had less than ten yards left. The holes in the spool were very visible and I realized I was going to lose this bout. One last non-chalant roll of its body at the water's surface and a final burst of energy and it was over. I tipped my hat in respect. I showed my reel to the only other angler there and his eyes popped out and his jaw dropped. I timed the fight so there is no exaggeration there but that day I got schooled and just about spooled. With that said, the chum doesn't get me vote because they're just brutes to begin with and seem to be more as "bull dog" pullers as opposed to runners as the small mouth and steelhead as I gather from the posts here.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:20 am

CK14 wrote:smallmouth & bluegill, it's a toss up. i can't even imagine how hard a bluegill would fight if they were the size of bass =p~
I agree. As mentioned before some fish are faster but nothing tugs harder for its size...

quickfish12
Petty Officer

Post by quickfish12 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:27 pm

I have fished for many species of fish, including steelhead, salmon, sturgeon, trout etc. etc. In salt and fresh water. Thee steelhead is a great fish and will fly when hook and the smallmouth will strip line to beat the band. Both are great fighting fish and it ultimately comes down to which fish YOU think fights better. :fish:

Kamloops Chaser
Petty Officer

Post by Kamloops Chaser » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm

I would have to say a Kamloops .. Most of the time a 10 lb or larger kam will take 500 or 600 Feet of line straight down before the even think of stopping.

USMCFisherman
Petty Officer

Post by USMCFisherman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 am

I would have to say that some of the reef fish in Hawaii are at the top of my list. Ulua and Papio fight like no other.

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:22 am

Bigbass Dez wrote:Well i would have to say pound for pound is "THE ALMIGHTY STRIPED BASS" also known as Rockfish or hybird bass .. mostly found in southern states ...he has the heart of a bluegill , the fight of a smallmouth , and the strenth of worldclass catfish ...

http://www.stripers247.com/index.html

:batman:
so true, they do compare and it most cases fight harder than a SMB.... i catch them down here often.
sharks are fast anf fun, but once you get there head turned, its a tugof war.
BFT, and YFT are overrated!!! totaly, taste great...yummmm.

im going pound for pound with a bluegill.
a 10# bluegill i think might be a challenge of NON-UL gear :-# maybe even shark gear!

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:58 pm

Im also a huge steelhead fan, But I have heard Tarpon are supposed to have an awesome fight. So I would have to say Tarpon are probably the best fighting fish pound for pound, but steelhead are a close second.
If in doubt set the hook!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Sea Run cutthroat out in the salt might actually be a good bet for lb. for lb. best fighting fish...

SRC's makes a smallmouth fight look like nothing...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:13 pm

Bluegills by far.
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:13 pm

my vote is for steelhead because i used to do alot alot of bass fishing and i ve caught small mouth up to 6 lbs and the steel a wild steelie that was hard to weight because of the it goin crazy didnt want to hurt it but it was about 4 lbs fought way harder than a 4 or even 5 pound smallmouth but when it comes to hatchery steelies small mouth have them beat.!.!.!
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Stripers put up an excellent fight. Even the small ones under 10 lbs.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:41 am

The Chum. Hands down. I've caught 4 pound chum that have fought like 20 pound kings. Or how about winter blackmouth in the sound...sub-legals pulling like tyees!! Gotta love fishing!