Fishing Heavy Weeds

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rjn cajun
Captain

Fishing Heavy Weeds

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 am

I`d like to find out some of your guy`s techniqs or secrets to fishing in heavy dense millfoil hydrillia or just grass. I do most of my bass fishing on small lakes that are notorious for these kinds of weeds. Since I have a small boat I can`t go to the big lakes and when the bigger boats get out I feel like I`m in the deadliest catch. Being farely new to bass fishing I`m having a heck of a time with fishing weeds. I know this is where most of the fish hang out but when I get into the heavy cover I get discouraged and want to move farther out to the edge. So if anyone wants to chime in and let a rookie know what to use and when or weight if any and other tips that would be great and much apreciated.:salut:

kzoo
Commodore

RE:Fishing Heavy Weeds

Post by kzoo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 am

How thick is it? Is it clear and somewhat deep underneath the vegetation? I would use frogs and heavy florida rig worms for the thick mats.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:35 am

It`s real thick in between the stalks maybe 6" and the lakes are not very deep only 15 to 20 max with weeds all the way down and maybe a foot to two feet from the surface. All the water I fish is stained. Hope I explained that well enough.:scratch:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 am

Try throwing a frog over it, if they're there, they'll come and take a shot at it. Also try florida rigs or pegged bullet weight, sounds like you might need an oz weight. If there's any little pockets in the weeds, you can use a smaller weight to get through the mat. Or try at the edges of the weeds. Are the weeds close to deep water at all?

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:53 am

I agree...I've have more success tossing a rigged worm on a hook in thick veggies on ta lake. A frog can work too, they do go after it, and its a lot of fun when they do!
Ryan

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:03 am

Bass are in the weeds to feed. A 3/4 oz jig is a good start,it will get down to where the fish are and makes a nice little cloud as it is bounced off the bottom. When jigs are used try a high bounce to keep the weeds free of your lure. Heavy line is a must. I like the 50 pound braid ( power pro) line. When the weeds are on the lure just give a hook set motion to free the weeds. I fish the edges of the weeds and little openings. The fish see the bait as it falls and most of the time the fish will hit on the drop. The hit may be light as most of the pigones do, and your line just starts to move. Some fish will slam the bait and can set the hook there selfs. A spinner bait can be used the same as a jig by letting it fall and bounce it off the bottom and let it fall again. The plastic worm is easy still with heavy line to pull the fish out of the weeds, you can t-rig them with a heavy weight to get it down fast and is used like the jig. If this is to slow for you try a rattle trap and just rip it through the weeds. Right now the LMB are in the shallows just off the bank so a plastic set up will work very well and the same for the jig. Hope this helps and good luck.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Tom.

Interests: living

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:58 pm

I'd definately try a Kermit especially as it gets warmer,..early am and just at dusk over the pads/weeds,..some that are tossing Frogs have already nabbed some Bass,..I was on the water last week and got 2 hits on my 6" Swimbait,..Weedless Hudd in RBT Pattern,..unfortunately I wasn't ready for the strikes and it seemed I was just going through the motions and should have been reeling and "anticipating a hit" rather than not paying attention and just reeling and yapping,..lol,..I purchased the Hudds just for the thick stuff,..it pulls through well and has some nice action,..just make sure you have the right equipment 2 chuck it,..or as every one else has stated just punch through the weeds/pads with a heavy Jig or hit the open spots or the edges of the salad.

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:30 pm

[quote="Amx"]fl rig]
kinda like this

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Dustin07 wrote:
Amx wrote:fl rig]
kinda like this

That's pretty much the setup, I use to use the same worm, 7" red shad worm. Only thing I had different was the florida weight had rattle in it.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I just got my florida rigs yesterday with rattles. Along with buzz baits frogs and some lizards. Can`t wait to use them.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:27 pm

kzoo wrote:How thick is it? Is it clear and somewhat deep underneath the vegetation? I would use frogs and heavy florida rig worms for the thick mats.

:cheers: Exactly!!!!
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:20 am

What would you guys recommend for this?
These mats sit about 8 in. under water but have 4 ft. under it.
I noticed the fish sit and enjoy the sun then when spooked, duck under

Ive tried the pockets in them alot.
Ive tried to punch through with a 1 oz. weight but it still wont go through
I can see them, just cant catch them!

Any advice?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 am

Bobber and fly/small jig. Let them come out and find it. Or senko, weightless, or small weight say about 1/16oz in a tube lure so it falls slow. Spinnerbait around the pads when they are agressive, or pop-R, or Hulapopper. Just flip or cast the items all along the pads.
Tom.

Interests: living

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 am

Amx wrote:Bobber and fly/small jig. Let them come out and find it. Or senko, weightless, or small weight say about 1/16oz in a tube lure so it falls slow. Spinnerbait around the pads when they are agressive, or pop-R, or Hulapopper. Just flip or cast the items all along the pads.
Plastics and spinners for sure.
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:16 pm

That mat looks pretty tough to fish. Myself I would wait until you get a good wind blowing into it, then work the edges with a soft plastic. Those bass will sit under the edge waiting for stuff to blow in. Your best bet would be a sunny, windy afternoon when the fish would have pulled under there already. My opinion anyways. On a calmer day I would still try a soft plastic near the edges, targetting the thicker pockets of pads near the mat edge. Fishing actually in that looks like an exercise in frustration as far as I'm concerned, other than pitching into holes, but it sounds like you've tried that already.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Looks pretty thick and bassy like. I've read that the Florida guys use 1 1/2 oz weights pegged and lob it in the air to get through the thick Hyacin mats. Otherwise you might want to try making your own pockets for future holes, be creative, bring a weed wacker!

If you see them at the edge, then you need to be further away or need to be more stealthy on your presentation, if you can see them, they definitely can see you.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:33 pm

rl206,

I've got a solution for you that will make fishing this type of salad a breeze. The tackle is very important. I encountered thick vegetation just like this on the California Delta and even some up here in Washington State. You are correct, a one ounce weight is often not enough to penetrate this type of cover, except in the pockets.

Sure, you can fish the edges and pockets. You may even catch a few with this approach. However, if you want to catch the biggest fish that live in this vegetation during the summer, you need to target the thickest, densest parts of the cover. The technique is called punching. Once you get it dialed in, you will never be intimidated by this type of cover again.

Here is the tackle you will need:

A 7-1/2' to 8' flipping stick
A high speed gear ratio baitcasting reel
50 lb. to 65 lb. braid
Punch Stops
1-1/2 Tungsten Flippin' Weight
A Punch Skirt (or Flippin' Skirt) - Paycheck baits, Gambler, Skinny Bear
Reaction Innovations BMF Flippin' Hook
Owner centering pins
Black King Size Sharpie
Super Glue
Scent

The Rig:

1) Slide a punch stop onto your line.
2) Slide the 1-1/2 oz. tungsten flippin' weight onto your line
3) Slide a punch skirt onto your line.
4) Snell (do not tie!) the BMF hook on your line. Lock the Snell with a thin coat of Super Glue (for durability).
5) Insert the centering pin into the hook eye.
6) Select a soft plastic (beaver, craw, etc.)
7) Screw centering pin into the head of the plastic.
8) Texas Rig your soft plastic, embedding the hook point in the plastic.
9) I like to use the Sharpie to color several feet of my line black when the braid starts to discolor and fade. Just a confidence thing for me.
10) Lather the entire rig up with your favorite scent, which will lubricate your rig and help it penetrate the thick cover.

The Technique:

You can pitch and flip this rig to your desired target. You can increase the arc of your pitch if you need more momentum to penetrate the thicker portions of the vegetation. Here is where the practice and touch come in.....

The ideal presentation is where the rig penetrates 80-90% of the cover and you "shake" the lure through the remaining 10-20%. This way you present the lure in a very realistic and stealthy manner without a huge splash. Once you master this, your catch rate will skyrocket.'

When you get bit, use a strong pressure set and either wrestle the fish out of the cover or pin it against the top of the canopy. Keep pressure on the fish and go dig through the salad to extract the fish.

In my opinion, punching is the most exciting way to catch bass. It even beats topwater for me.

I gave a very brief explanation of this technique but this will get you on your way. Let everyone else fish the edges while you haul the donkeys out of the greenery.

Go get 'em!

eightballsaul
Petty Officer

Post by eightballsaul » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:59 pm

I have always had good luck with a heavy skirted Jig with a plastic chunk or craw. I like Blue and Black or reds. When I say heavy , I mean heavy. 1oz to 1 1/4 oz. It'll get you down to the fish. Just make sure it is weedless of course. Strike King makes a real good one. As far as line goes, The heavier the better to a point. I go as high as 30lb braid but I suppose you could go higher.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Thanks for the tips TW,..you're the man!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"