What Internert Connection Do You Have?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.

What age range are you in?

71 or older
1%
61-70
5%
51-60
18%
41-50
22%
31-40
18%
21-30
24%
16-21
7%
10-16
5%
Under 10 years old
1%

Total votes: 165

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

RE:What Internert Connection Do You Have?

Post by hookorcrook » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:33 pm

RaMcVey wrote:Any body use ClearWire?

I was going to go with clearwire about a year ago because of the cost. I ordered it, then started checking online about it and started reading some feedback. So I stumble across this "clearwire sucks" type of web site. There were some absolute horror stories on there (I know, that's the point of the web site right). But the things they were talking about...dealing with the company in general was a nightmare, you have to sign a two year contract, you may have good reception where you live... but if you move and you don't? too bad contract. slow download speeds, interruptions in service, etc.

Anyway, I called them up to cancel and they tried to tell me I couldn't cancel. It was the next day!** Edit: actually now that I think about it, it was about two hours later.** I hadn't even started the service. I had to talk to two different people then a "supervisor" before they let me. And I had to go through the same story over and over.."changed my mind, won't work for me after all" And everyone of them just badgered me with question after question and tried to get me to change my mind. It was ridiculous. They gave me the hardest time. Finally they gave up and said if I returned the modem/receptor unopened they would cancel and refund my money.

I should have done my homework before obviously, but just that little experience was not too pleasant.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:32 am

Anyone have Verizon FiOS? We're considering switching from Comcast due to a better bundle deal.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Anyone have Verizon FiOS? We're considering switching from Comcast due to a better bundle deal.
Mike, is that actual fiber?

Right now I have a couple options I use depending on my needs. I have Verizon Wireless Broadband at the home and share it from my desktop over a wireless router for mine and my wife's laptop. My desktop is my gaming and workhorse computer. If Im using my computer for work out in the field I tether my Motorola Droid to it and link the internet to it...the tether setup is actually 2x as fast as my connection at home. I can use the droid at home too but only on the laptop, cant get it to install properly on my desktop yet. You would think since my wife also has a droid that we might as well abandon the other connection....well cept the Verizon ToS forbids you to use the droid or other smartphone as an access point unless you pay for the "mobile connect" add on. And I want internet to my desktop to for playing games, etc.\ and roughtly costs the same as adding mobile connect to each phone.

My wife cusses and swears every time she pays the cell phone bill though. The data service for the droids is $30/each phone..so yea $60....then the wireless broadband is $59/mo. Then add on the minutes. Right now, because I use my cell phone a lot for work, we are using the 1400 family share plan $119/mo and my work is reimbursing me $30/month for cell phone use which realistically isnt very much but otherwise they would give me a seperate phone through t-erri-mobile and I would be carrying two phones around with me...once I can convince my boss to switch to verizon I can go back to a lower minute plan, which really, will only drop us $20.....unless we drop the talk & text to just talk, which we just might and save another $30/mo.

Oh and to rate my service with Verizon Broadband....it sucks, mostly....decent for web surfing, but for anything like gaming or streaming media, it sucks there is large lag spikes...during gaming they can hit as large as 3000ms (yes that is 3 seconds) and during peak network use the speeds have slowed to dialup speeds, thats when I call and complain and they bump the bandwidth at the local tower and its fine for about 3 months. My only other option is satelite (which is worse and more expensive) or point-2-point wireless which could be cheaper except for the $200 setup fee, and the fact that the tower closest to me is on top of Mt Spokane so during the winter it occasionally freezes over and thus loses service. although with Verizon, if I wanted to, I could take the wireless adapter and go anywhere there is verizon coverage and get internet, mostly.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:43 am

my understanding is we would have fiber to the house. I have to contact them, maybe today. I don't do the mobile phone internet stuff. SO I'm looking at a bundle of TV,landline phone,and internet through Verizon FiOs.

BTW, how'd you get that bigger avatar?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:23 pm

RaMcVey wrote:
Bodofish wrote:
RaMcVey wrote:Any body use ClearWire?
I've setup a number of people with it. It's cell service so location, location, location. Were talking a G3 network so maybe a meg....... Some were happy some not.

Yea, Im specifically interested in using it in the Seattle area in the evenings for school. The school network stinks and has firewalls I need to get around when Im not in class. One of my instuctors (embedded programming) has it and likes it. I have a new Dell on the way and it has a WiMax card so Im thinking about ClearWire for that.

Thanks Bodo
I have to say I'm really liking CLEAR Wire. It may not be the fastest but I was able to get online while sitting under the rain fly of the tent while camping Dash Point St Park and Im on it now waiting for Jr to get out of school.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Mike Carey wrote:my understanding is we would have fiber to the house. I have to contact them, maybe today. I don't do the mobile phone internet stuff. SO I'm looking at a bundle of TV,landline phone,and internet through Verizon FiOs.

BTW, how'd you get that bigger avatar?
I think it comes with the last new update we had. I just did it bigger until I thought it was big enough.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I posted but it did not go through.:scratch: I have clear also and i`m happy except the every once in awhile down time. I can take my modem with my lap top any where and get service. I also have phone through clear. Can`t beat the price. I had comcast and every month the bill would change. Got into it several times with them and they don`t give a hoot.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:26 am

hewesfisher wrote:Where I live, it's either dial-up, dsl with phone company, or satellite. I'm not paying the extra for satellite, so dsl it has been for many years.
check with air-pipe, they may have reception out your way, least it shows coverage on their map

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:29 am

I live too far from Qwest's CO in Deer Park to get DSL, but I can get reception from Air-Pipe off their tower on top of MT Spokane...the only draw back is when the towers freeze up in the winter. But its pretty fast, a lot faster than the Wireless Broadband via Verizon that I was using prior, and for the same price.

If you sign up with Air-Pipe, tell em Craig Baker sent ya so I can get a credit to my account :)

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:01 am

I have clear and I will say that I was happy with it for the first couple months. BUT... it has gone down hill quickly since. I have netflix and often times I cant even watch a show without it having to reload about 10 times. If I try to watch a video online say one of the many Mike post I have to pause the video and wait several minutes for it to load all the way otherwise it stalls out. I will be switching back soon.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

kenimes
Petty Officer

Re: What Internert Connection Do You Have?

Post by kenimes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Comcast High Speed Cable internet. We got a bundle discount because we already had been paying them for the cable TV full meal deal. Pricey still.