Where to get lead?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
spokey9
Captain

RE:Where to get lead?

Post by spokey9 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:29 pm

G-Man wrote:You can also bust up an old lead acid battery, it can be messy and you'll need a bunch of baking soda to neutralize the acid, but they hold a lot of lead.
Hey g-man how does a fella go bout doing that?
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:49 pm

spokey9 wrote:
G-Man wrote:You can also bust up an old lead acid battery, it can be messy and you'll need a bunch of baking soda to neutralize the acid, but they hold a lot of lead.
Hey g-man how does a fella go bout doing that?
Here's how to go about doing that: DON'T !!

BMGW
Petty Officer

Post by BMGW » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:01 am

Pleese do not use battery lead, as you can NEVER get the acid out completely and it makes the lead extremely TOXIC, thus giving EPA a very good reason to ban it's use... I am sitting on about 7 tons of various lead alloy and formulations mostly used for making bullets but I would hold off until November 3rd 2010 to see how EPA makes it's ruling before investing too much into it... BMGW

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 pm

With the new No-Lead trend I am seeing more Tungsten being used then other metals. In the drapery business we are switching over to tungsten weights.Im wondering if tungsten is as easy to melt as lead and will it pour into a mold. I bought cast iron melting pot with a pouring spout. Works great for me.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Of all metals in pure form, tungsten has the highest melting point (3422 °C, 6192 °F)

It's also one of the hardest metals. Tungsten Carbide is what they use for those knife sharpeners that peel metal off the blade to 'sharpen' your knife.

Edit: Without the carbide, it's not very hard. My mistake.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:54 pm

There are several places on the internet from which you can buy alloys that are lead free, have a low melting point and are close to the same density as lead. They are not as inexpensive as lead, but let's be real, if they were, going lead free wouldn't be an issue. Bismuth alloys are notorious for their low melting points and is very close to being as dense as lead.

Here is a link to an alloy that you might try.

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/low ... 281338.htm

Return to “Hardware How-to's and Swap Event”