Buzzbaits

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
masterbaiter6
Angler

Buzzbaits

Post by masterbaiter6 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

I have been bass fishing for a few years now and i have never fished with buzzbaits. I am curious as to what buzzbaits you guys reccomend. Booyah? Chatterbait? I don't know anything about these baits or how to fish them so any info helps. Thanks.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Buzzbaits

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:40 pm

They all work. I only have cheap ones and have done great over the past 35 plus years. I have some fancy Strike King ones now but haven't tried them yet.

I use to use only the in-line ones, but have been using the hairpin style for the past 15 or so years. Mostly black, very seldom if ever white. WAY back when I used white now and then.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

masterbaiter6
Angler

Post by masterbaiter6 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Alright thanks for the reply.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Oh ya, just remembered. The one I've had tied on for years now is purple. I also always use a trailer hook. No plastic trailer. During the spring thru fall I always have that rod on deck ready to go at any time of day or night. My followup lure is a spinnerbait and a plastic worm for when the bass misses the buzzer.
Tom.

Interests: living

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Buzz baits are like plastic worms, everyone has a favorite, there are a lot of favorites out there, and some favorites work better in some lakes then others.

Personally, I make most of my own Buzz Baits. You can find a lot of sources for components, and I can suggest http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.html as a good source.

Now, look at how many different types there are. The in-line kind is generally more weed resistant, but it also suffers from more missed strikes, even with a trailer hook. I think this is because the bubble trail is too close to the body. I make some with the in-line blade(s) as much as 6" in front of the body.

You have metal blades or plastic blades. Both work, but I prefer metal. You have delta or three-bladed, and both work, but three blade styles work a little slower on top. You have some with the clacker on it, and some are quad blades that slip and clack. Both work, and I carry both because sometimes on is hot and the other is not. You have double bladed types, and these are ones that actually track straight through the water, but while most single blade styles veer right or left, I like to bump dock piles or wood so a bait the veers can be the ticket. On the other hand, a straight tracking bait is best in tight quarters like pads or emergent weeds.

Now, one last thing. I like some of my baits to not only sound like a motor boat, but to squeak. I have been known to file the rivet and blade so the spot they come in contact with makes a loud squeak as I retrieve it. This bait is often the go-to-bait when I toss Buzz Baits.

As for color, let the Bass tell you. I am not sure that exact color is important so you do not need to buy one of every combination out there. Still, I prefer bright or light colors for the rare days I am day time fishing Buzzing (near cover), dark colors for early and late in the day, and high contract dark/light for the middle of the night. On occasion, I have found that some colors are tops and if you see a lot of blue damsels or dragon flies around, a blue and black Buzz Bait can be the best.

I hope we have helped, mostly because Buzz Baits can be so good at times, but they are just a tool and they don't always work. Stick to 65 degree and warmer water for best results even though they can catch fish in colder water at times.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:36 pm

If you are going to experiment with this bait NOW IS THE TIME! They are a ton of fun and big fish love them. There is a ton of folk lore out there about these baits. This bait is intended to provoke a reactionary strike. You never know when or why a fish is going to inhale one. I love to fish them right before the pads pop. I have had days on pressured lakes where I fished it from sun up to sun down and got bit all day long. It is a little like crack so be careful!

masterbaiter6
Angler

Post by masterbaiter6 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Alright! Thanks a lot for the tips, I hope to try them out this week end some time. Thanks again.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:42 pm

By this time last year we were on Lakes up North Buzz~Bassin form 10am till 6pm,..it's a lot of work but nothing beats that top water strike,..a couple of my favorites are the Persuader Double Blade and the Strike King Double Take,..not a fan of single blades,..something about the 2 blades gets me everytime,..I drill small holes in some of mine and add a Rat/Frog and ALWAYS add a Trailor Hook for those short strikes,..when I customize them it makes for a BIGGER profile and helps with the casting distance,..fish them over some/near weeds/lilypads, keep reeling and be prepared,..LOL!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"