Are these both Rainbows?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Are these both Rainbows?

Post by Toni » Sun May 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Of the two I kept at Clear Lake this morning, I wanted to get an opinion whether they are both rainbows since one looks more silver and blue with a different colored mouth.
Attachments
5-15and_16-2010_re8.jpg
5-15and_16-2010_re8.jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
5-15and_16-2010_re5.jpg
5-15and_16-2010_re5.jpg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Malottguy
Petty Officer

RE:Are these both Rainbows?

Post by Malottguy » Mon May 17, 2010 2:37 am

Toni

They look like Rainbows and the bottom one looks similar to a Leopard Rainbow with all the dang spots.

I am interesting in finding out as well.

flyfisher31
Petty Officer

Post by flyfisher31 » Mon May 17, 2010 3:20 am

bottom might be a cutt/rainbow mix the top one i almost wanna say kokanne or lake trout?
I didn't climb to the top of the food chain just to become a vegatarian!

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon May 17, 2010 4:37 am

I vote top fish is a Silver and bottom one is a Bow.
If the Silver is truly a Silver you should be able the wash its scales off with just the pressure from your outside hose nozzle.
Silver's scales come off very easily.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 17, 2010 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Mon May 17, 2010 5:28 am

Both rainbows - clearly they both were planted this spring and may well have been from the same pond of fish.

The upper/brighter/bluer fish is a rainbow that has attempted to go into a smolt conditions. Smolting is the changes tht the fish go through to prepare to go to the salt. Research has shown that some resident rainbows have the capability of smolt and going to sea (become a steelhead).

Really not all that uncommon to see some of the rainbows this time of year (spring) to take on a "smolt" look. For steelhead (sea-going rainbows) the young fish (smolts) migrate in the spring of the year with peak migration happening in mid-May.

Tight lines
Curt

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 am

I knew it wasn't a koke because of the tail. I didn't know that there were steelhead wanna be in lakes.

Since the regulations lists rules at Clear Lake for kokanee and landlocked salmon I didn't know what the landlocked salmon would look like.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon May 17, 2010 10:49 am

Color variation is very common in all species of salmonids and this is a good example of the different appearances fish can take on. As stated above these both appear to be stockers and likely came from the same hatchery pond. It isn't a "steelhead wannabe" perse just a rainbow trout that may have wanted to go to sea. Steelhead and rainbow trout are the same species of fish (rainbow trout) the steelhead is just a seagoing form similar to Kokanee and Sockeye being the same species with Kokanee being landlocked.

Really neat and unpredictable stuff. Straying and cross breeding are common amongst salmonid populations and you never do know what is going to happen. All species of Salmonids including Coho and Chinook have landlocked forms that can be found throughout the Columbia River in its Dam impoundments such as Lake Roosevelt. Again, same species, just different life needs.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 am

Bet they taste the same! :)

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon May 17, 2010 4:21 pm

fishcreekspinners wrote:Bet they taste the same! :)
They both had white flesh. I am sure they will.