Alaska Saltwater Close Call

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Big D

Alaska Saltwater Close Call

Post by Big D » Mon May 10, 2010 2:43 am

The man in the kayak is Dr. Richard Kraft from Sitka, Alaska. He happened to get caught in the middle of a group of humpback whales that were feeding on herring in Katlian Bay just outside of Sitka. He lived to tell of his experience.

At least that's how the story went until someone called a Sitka newspaper to verify the event. Turns out the image was the work of a local Photoshop master with too much time on his hands.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 11, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Gonefishing
Commander

RE:Alaska Saltwater Close Call

Post by Gonefishing » Mon May 10, 2010 4:16 am

...and he tells his wife and friends when he gets home...

I have a whale of a story to tell you....

Cool picture by the way but I'm more likely faint and cry instead of keep on paddlin :)

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 am

looks a bit doctored no pun intended. first who would get that exact shot. second there is no reflection of him or his bright yellow kayak, third i'm looking at it on a 42” high def screen so its pretty clear that its a good photoshop but not great. definitely too much free time lol he should go fishin :-)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 10, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Mon May 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Photoshop is pretty neat...

One way you can tell it is fake is because there are is no water disturbance from the paddle.... You would see a bit of a wake/some water displaced from paddling, but here you see nothing.

Also, look at some of the blurring at the rear end of the kayak. Contrast that to the sharpness of the photo around the mouth of the whale, and its a dead giveaway....

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I do enjoy these photos... not to rain on anyone's parade, but also it stood out to me how with all the turbulance around the Orca's mouth and the Kayak... notice that there is absolutely no water crossing over the kayak anywhere, it appears dry. Not to mention, don't you think this guy would be in a reactionary state... rather than looking straight ahead and just cruising.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue May 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Photoshop FAIL #-o
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Blktailhunter