went fishing caught a dog!!

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
leadfoot067
Petty Officer

went fishing caught a dog!!

Post by leadfoot067 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:42 pm

literally...was trolling round kapowsin today....and theres a dog swimming all alone out near the middle....very tired,scard and wet/cold..shivering....we picked it up and brought it home...asked everyone we saw on/at the lake...nobody claimed it..if you know who it belongs to please contact me..

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 09, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

RE:went fishing caught a dog!!

Post by Uncle Wes » Sun May 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Good for you!!! Nice looking dog, if you should happen to keep it I'll bet this dog will turn out to be most loyal, loving and faithful companion you could ever hope for after all you rescued it and animals are smart enough to figure out whats what. If your dog is out in the middle of the lake damn near drowning you don't deserve to have it, hope you keep it.
The Troutist
Uncle Wes Malmberg
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uncle-Wes/354228301302839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Columnist, Northwest Sportsman Magazine
Columnist, Mason County Outdoors
Member, Northwest Outdoor Writers Association

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Uncle Wes wrote:If your dog is out in the middle of the lake damn near drowning you don't deserve to have it, hope you keep it.
you have no clue what happened.could have been a million reasons that dog was in the lake. maybe he got out liked chasing ducks and went out to far. just a pretty bold comment without knowing any info.

very nice looking dog.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun May 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Take it to a vet or a pound to see if it has a microchip.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun May 09, 2010 10:48 pm

Or maybe take it to a couple of Veternarians (sp?) around the area of where you found it. If it was from that area, the techs. may recognize it.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun May 09, 2010 11:00 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
Uncle Wes wrote:If your dog is out in the middle of the lake damn near drowning you don't deserve to have it, hope you keep it.
you have no clue what happened.could have been a million reasons that dog was in the lake. maybe he got out liked chasing ducks and went out to far. just a pretty bold comment without knowing any info.
Lighten up a bit. You don't know what the dog was doing out in the middle of the lake either.

I was out in the middle of Marshall Lake last year and a dog was swimming in the middle of the lake. Being in my pontoon boat only, I went along beside him just in case he got in trouble. I figured that if he started getting too exhausted and started struggling to stay up, I could at least hold his head above water til he got some rest. He eventually made it back to the launch. His dumb ass owner had left him at the launch on purpose and went to the other side of the lake to fish. The dog was trying to follow him. The water temperature was 59 degrees.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon May 10, 2010 4:40 am

Hey lead foot I fish Kapowsin often and if I`m not mistaken I have seen that dog. On the west end of the lake there`s a couple houses and have seen a dog that looked similar to this one. I remember because every time I`m down there he barks at me when I fish the bank on that side. You can get to the house by turning at the bar and going south west. Right at the end of the lake there`s two houses I`d check there first. They might know something if it`s not there`s. Only other place on the lake is the property on the soth side 3/4 of the way down and that`s only a weekend get a way. Other than that with all the tweekers out there maybe they dumped him off. Keivin b also knows the lake and has been working at ericsons maybe pm him.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 10, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:18 am

Maybe I do need to lighten up, but I can't help it. That could be some kids best friend. I wouldn't blame the kid of not deserving his buddy because he messed up. Just saying.

My bad if tweaker Bob ditched a dog.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon May 10, 2010 6:37 am

Ducks will sometimes lead dogs out - they did it to my dog a couple times on Lake Washington - the 1st time I thought it was funny, he started swimming for the duck, the duck would stay about 3' in front of him - it was like tunnel vision. The fun ended when he got so focused, he didn't hear me yelling, it was like the duck had him on a leash. I had to start throwing rocks near them to break his concentration. Now I don't even let him do it.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:43 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:Ducks will sometimes lead dogs out - they did it to my dog a couple times on Lake Washington - the 1st time I thought it was funny, he started swimming for the duck, the duck would stay about 3' in front of him - it was like tunnel vision. The fun ended when he got so focused, he didn't hear me yelling, it was like the duck had him on a leash. I had to start throwing rocks near them to break his concentration. Now I don't even let him do it.
I had a lab in nc that did the same. There was nothing I could do to get him out of the water until he was to tired to chase ducks.Unfortunately it meant leaving him home.
Anthony

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon May 10, 2010 10:34 am

I rescued my friends golden retreiver from a river one time when we took him on a hike. That dog had no special place in his heart for me before that, but after that I had little doubt he was grateful for the rest of his life. He clearly remembered what I had done and appreciated it. One of the many reasons I love dogs!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon May 10, 2010 12:11 pm

I'll be up there later this week,I'll keep an eye out.

leadfoot067
Petty Officer

Post by leadfoot067 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:44 pm

rjn cajun wrote:Hey lead foot I fish Kapowsin often and if I`m not mistaken I have seen that dog. On the west end of the lake there`s a couple houses and have seen a dog that looked similar to this one. I remember because every time I`m down there he barks at me when I fish the bank on that side. You can get to the house by turning at the bar and going south west. Right at the end of the lake there`s two houses I`d check there first. They might know something if it`s not there`s. Only other place on the lake is the property on the soth side 3/4 of the way down and that`s only a weekend get a way. Other than that with all the tweekers out there maybe they dumped him off. Keivin b also knows the lake and has been working at ericsons maybe pm him.
thanks for the tip,i will check it out. gonna take her to the vet for a chip scan shortly. i will keep the dog if i cant find the owner.

Joe A
Angler

Post by Joe A » Mon May 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Whatever the outcome, you did a good thing.

leadfoot067
Petty Officer

Post by leadfoot067 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:55 pm

no chip,female no more than 2 years old...likes car rides

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:16 am

Always nice to see random acts of kindness towards people and animals alike. Good luck finding the owner, but if not, then I hope you keep it and have a new best friend. Looks like a nice dog.
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

Iamfishing
Petty Officer

Post by Iamfishing » Tue May 11, 2010 11:19 am

they say animals always find their owners.i think it was ment to be.you should keep the dog.the dog picked you. it was destiney

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I travel all over the state working different lakes 30 to 40 a year and during that time I have found that lakes and launches are used as a place to abandon animals. I've seen it many times and will probably see it many more times the best I could do was call animal control I don't have enough room at home for all of them. If it is little Johnny's dog there might be signs posted at stores, Post Offices, Community Bullitin Boards, or maybe they have alerted Animal Control in that area those might be good places to start to find the owner. Bold statement maybe, maybe not I guess only time will tell. I really don't want to go into leash laws because I always have my dogs on their runs, I moved into a new place last year and within a month one of the neighbors who doesn't believe in that concept had his animal come into my yard attack my dog causing him to require over 20 stiches, 6 staples, and two nights in the doggie hospital, not mentioning the court case that ensued could it have been avoided well yes, of course it could've. This guy has had problems before with his animals actually killing another neighbors animal but I guess it is easier for him to intimidate retired widowed women, guess what that isn't my description. Long story short his dog is now considered a dangerous animal and if it should run loose again it is a felony on him and unfortunately the dog will be put down. Again this could have been avoided had he paid the vet bill and kept his dog under control but again he thought by ignoring me and trying to intimidate me was going to be the key. The rest of the neighbors in the neighborhood are quite pleased. This will probably be my last post for a while wish you all well and hope you have a wonderful season.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Troutist
Uncle Wes Malmberg
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uncle-Wes/354228301302839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Columnist, Northwest Sportsman Magazine
Columnist, Mason County Outdoors
Member, Northwest Outdoor Writers Association

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:02 pm

she's a pretty dog.

leadfoot067
Petty Officer

Post by leadfoot067 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:16 pm

still havent located an owner....prolly gonna keep her....need some name suggestions...we(the family ) havent come up with anything we all like for a name....help us out!!