Washington boaters education card

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
chinookslammer
Petty Officer

Washington boaters education card

Post by chinookslammer » Tue May 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I was trying to figure out what the timeline is for getting the mandatory boaters education card. I'm having trouble narrowing down the deadline. I'm 28 and I think I'm suppose to have one this year but I'm not sure. Any help would be great. Thanks- Ray

jbball50
Commander

RE:Washington boaters education card

Post by jbball50 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm

You should have one this year. I just got mine this year too though, I forgot about having to get it last year. I think if they're going to enforce this law, they should definitely bring it up a lot more often because the only time I ever really heard about it is was when it first got started.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 pm

By "boaters education card" I assume you mean the new boat tax, where you're charged $40 to drive a boat, that's thinly masked as a "test of knowledge". My cat aced the online test last week, and he's never even been in a boat, at least not that i know of.

Yeah you're due up this year. I suggest finding the oldest person you know and always take them fishing with you and let them drive the boat. You should be good for another few years with this method.

chinookslammer
Petty Officer

Post by chinookslammer » Tue May 04, 2010 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info jball and Nik. I found one shitty chart showing I was up in 2010 but no actual date so I guess I'm good through the year. Yeah you're right they don't advertise it well enough but I'm sure they're quick to give you a ticket if you don't have it. Gotta love our state government.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue May 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Nik wrote:By "boaters education card" I assume you mean the new boat tax, where you're charged $40 to drive a boat, that's thinly masked as a "test of knowledge". My cat aced the online test last week, and he's never even been in a boat, at least not that i know of.

Yeah you're due up this year. I suggest finding the oldest person you know and always take them fishing with you and let them drive the boat. You should be good for another few years with this method.
It is a boat tax, but it's only like $10.

And to OP, you do need the card.

http://parks.wa.gov/boating/boatered/?subject=faq

*edit* It's been a while and I guess it is $40, lol.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slick_Rick
Petty Officer

Post by Slick_Rick » Wed May 05, 2010 7:14 am

[thumbsup] I'm 26 and starting this year i had to get it,but it applies for 15hp or more. I finally got it after 3 tries, they threw in some trick questions at the end of the test to try and make me take it again but i figured them out!!At least the card is good for life,you don't have to renew it like the drivers license.Costed $34!!![thumbsup]
"If your not fishing your not catching"

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Wed May 05, 2010 10:39 am

Nik wrote:By "boaters education card" I assume you mean the new boat tax, where you're charged $40 to drive a boat, that's thinly masked as a "test of knowledge". My cat aced the online test last week, and he's never even been in a boat, at least not that i know of.

I fully support WA requiring the Boater Safety Card. In fact, I wish they would make you retake the test every 5 years or so.

You say I’m crazy? Here’s my theory: There’s two groups of people.

One group, the boater safety card is not intended for. It’s the people on this forum. We are fisherman and use our boats as a tool to fish. The boats we use are just a tool, nothing more, nothing less. They get us out on the water to enjoy the thrill of fishing.

The second group is where the boater safety card is needed and intended for. It’s for the weekend adventurers who usually have more money, alcohol, and horsepower than brains. Think about your experiences: the jetskiers that buzz an anchored boat on an open lake…the “boater” who shows up at the dock drunk and hops behind the wheel of a boat…the rich, rookie boat owner who has a 200+ hp boat, yet he has no idea of how to control it. I guarantee anyone reading this has seen all of these scenarios multiple times.

The boater safety card is intended for the later group. As an overall rule, the people on this forum do still fall into the category of boaters so we still need to abide by the law.

At a small cost to me, I hope the boater safety card does slow people down and get the idiots off the water. It’d be nice to see the boater safety card more strictly enforced. For my safety and piece of mind, I’d be happy to show an enforcement person that I’m legal to drive my boat in order to keep someone who doesn’t have that card off the water.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 am

So who is enforcing the law on this anyways? Coast Guard, WDFW? My friend that's in the reserves of Coast Guard and goes every month over to Seattle for training and all that didn't even know that there was a boater's education card when I told him about it before. So I'm wondering if they're even asking boaters if they have it. You're right about some people being stupid getting drunk and going out though, definitely have seen it at Whaling Days in Silverdale, some people with their jet boats going out on the boat really drunk.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

Get government out of my life and wallet as much as possible. When does goverment ever solve a problem instead of make things worse?
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed May 05, 2010 3:46 pm

jbball50 wrote:So who is enforcing the law on this anyways? Coast Guard, WDFW?
It's a state law, not federal, so no surprise your USCG Reserves friend had no knowledge unless he's a WA boat owner. To answer the question on enforcement, it's supposed to be enforced by the same folks that write tickets on the water for other state violations, respective county sheriff marine enforcement. Might even see some local municipality marine enforcement if they exist. While WDFW could possibly enforce the law, it's not a fish and wildlife issue.

I agree with clarkbre, but I've seen just as many "sportsman" in boats that meet his "weekend adventurer's" definition as boating enthusiasts who don't. The groups are not mutually exclusive, significant bad examples exist in both. [glare]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 pm

It was specifically pushed through by insurance companies because of the high numbers of under aged jetski drivers and accidents. I'm not sure the card really has anything to do with jetski's in perticular but it keeps the little jerks off the water. I don't know about you guys but I noticed a big drop in their numbers on the water when the cards became mandatory. I think they're a great idea, even if they only save one person a year from being run over by a jetski.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Wed May 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Bodofish wrote:It was specifically pushed through by insurance companies because of the high numbers of under aged jetski drivers and accidents.
That has some merit. I took my safety class/test online through a site from the Kawasaki website. It was a free class and they sent me a certificate and everything. So in all, my card only cost me $10.

Later that summer I went to insure my boat (Lund WC16 w/ a 15hp Suzuki). State Farm asked me if I had taken a boater safety course and I showed them the card. It ended up saving me 10% or 15% on my boat policy.

After everything, I've at least made my money back and then some by having the boater's safety card.

Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Post by Big Smooth » Wed May 12, 2010 9:02 am

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/

Course was free and they only charge you if you need it mailed to you.

Print a few copies for future use.

I did this and I think this qualifies...anyone else do this?
I like it when I can call it Catching!

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Big Smooth wrote:http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/

Says it's good for Washington so it should be fine, I should've done that one instead of boat-ed.com, they charged 30 dollars once you passed the test and 10 dollars to mail your boater's license.

Whidbey Fish
Angler

Post by Whidbey Fish » Wed May 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Big Smooth wrote:http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/

I did it this way a few weeks ago, it took about 2 weeks to get the card from the state after I mailed the certificate and application with the $10.00 of course.

Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Post by Big Smooth » Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Ahhh.. thanks, almost forgot to give the state their money :) Wouldn't want to miss that opportunity :salut:
I like it when I can call it Catching!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 21, 2010 9:18 am

The free safety course is just that. A course. You still need the State card to be legal if you are of the age that requires it.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 21, 2010 11:19 am

This is a rare occasion where it pays to be older.I dont need the card and needent pay the Govt any more then I have to.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Fri May 21, 2010 12:04 pm

So let’s change things up a bit and ask this question differently. Even if you weren't required by the state of WA (and pay the card fee), who has taken a boaters safety course?

If so why?

And if not, why not?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 21, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri May 21, 2010 12:07 pm

I did back in '71. And again in about 2000. Why? Because I wanted to.

Passed both times. Don't need no course again.

edit: '98.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 21, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living