Depth finders

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Depth finders

Post by deepbuzzer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 am

I was fishing West Medical last night, and noticed the oddest thing I was seeing on my depth finder.
I was fishing in 19 feet of water. I could see fish arches as I motored over the area I wanted to fish.
Once I started fishing and started observing what looked like the something ascending from the bottom of the lake starting out as an arch under the boat then moving upward and you could see them rising with the mids in the water column.

Has anyone else seen this with your depth finder?

BentRod
Admiral

RE:Depth finders

Post by BentRod » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am

I don't quite follow your description. Were you stationary when this happened or moving? what are "mids in the water column"?

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 am

I was stationary and anchored stem to stern, and the mids are Cmids (chronos, buzzers, midges etc)
I just got through reading about this on the lowrance website, and this is actually fish feeding...

Was cool to see..

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 am

That does sound cool. I've seen video of fish moving up from the bottom on the depthfinder, but have only seen fish move in an out of the cone on my own, but I'm running a 200khz, so it's a narrow view.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 am

I am also running a 200Khz,, 34 degree cone.. it shows arches real well and now this.. I was dumbfounded when I first saw it... Then I noticed I could also see my anchor being pulled up..

To cool

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:42 am

When your jigging under/next to the boat you can watch your lure and on occasions the fish taking it, very cool. Also, when fishing for salmon you can sometimes see a fish streak right to your gear, also way cool. On one of my more recent Lake Washington posts I included a picture of a bait ball that appears to be under siege. If you haven't turned off the fish ID on your fish finder, your missing out on some great viewing.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:16 pm

I agree G-man, I just finally got enough experience with my depth finder to do just that. It is so cool to see fish arching and see how they are relating to structure. What a fascinating world down there you can see with a depth finder.

ID-fishhead

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

I have not had to joy of watching a fish attack my jig on the finder yet, but I do use it to see how deep my jig is and have tried placing it in front of fish arches, but still learning with the thing. I think I'm running a 20 degree cone angle, so not a lot of room to play in. I don't anchor, so keeping myself over a suspended fish has proved to be a challenge.

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 am

I remember the first time out with my new sonar (basic dual beam 60 degree setup, no SLS), and seeing my tiny Crappie jig bounce around down @ 23 feet was pretty cool!
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”