Opening day for lakes

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Opening day for lakes

Post by deepbuzzer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:31 pm

So where is everyone heading to for the opener on Saturday? I am going to Jump of Joe in the morning, then West Medical in the late afternoon.. I have never fished opening day, so this should be an adventure.

Good luck everyone

raffensg64
Commander

RE:Opening day for lakes

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:22 pm

It absolutely will be an adventure! I'm still deciding.....probably Medical or Amber, where the crowds will be light. Jump Off Joe sounds good but I'd stay away from West Medical. Not only will it most likely be a zoo but it was just rehabilitated. The fish will be small and difficult to catch, nothing like we've seen in the past 8-9 years. I figure W. Medical have some decent carryover fish in 2011 and will return to form in 2012. Good luck!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

RE:Opening day for lakes

Post by Rooscooter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:17 am

While I generally agree with Raff about West Medical they have heavily planted it with large trout over the last 2 months.

A friend of mine at the WDFW told me that there are over 2000 14" plus fish in there with 500 over 18". If they "holdover", next year there could be some very nice fish in there.

I will be going to Fish Lake to try and find some of the Brookie Broods that were planted in there.

Good luck to all

Tight Lines!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”