What to Try

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:What to Try

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm

I've only fished the senko wacky, Texas, dropshot-wacky. And only on 1 lake. Or did I use it on Sammamish this winter? Don't remember, too long ago. I plan on using it much more this summer. I do already have a favorite color tho. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:52 pm

What every one else said. But, as for the senko, when in doubt, toss a senko. Love it or hate it, it just flat catches fish
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Definitely a senko should be in your arsenal! If I go to a new lake, I'll always have a senko on a rig.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 pm

I had a senko tied on since about '02, maybe even '03 before I get any senkos. Rusted out 3 hooks, with the senko always on the hook, while it just sat there in the boat. Only tried it a couple times, no bites. Finally caught my first senko fish mid summer last year. :-)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Myself I have never even used a senko there just too small of a bait to consistantly catch big fish. If they were to make a 10.5 or even better a 12 inch I could see me buying some. HAWGHUNTER !!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Trent...if you only knew how many 6+ lb fish I've caught on senko's... big fish love em.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 pm

BassDood wrote:Trent...if you only knew how many 6+ lb fish I've caught on senko's... big fish love em.
I 2nd that :thumleft:
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:29 pm

skimpy wrote:
BassDood wrote:Trent...if you only knew how many 6+ lb fish I've caught on senko's... big fish love em.
I 2nd that :thumleft:
3rd...:bball:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm not saying they don't catch big fish just they don't do it all day long. I did the senko and culprit test out on a Lk two years ago with RB. We found a nice fish that was going up and down the shore line and RB cast his senko over to the fish and the fish went right to it with its nose right on the senko. Then I cast 3 feet away with a 10 in culprit and the fish darted over to the culript and eat the worm. It was only 5.5 or so but we tried this with two other fish with the same results. In all it's fishermans preference on what too use. She likes it big.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:03 am

Like I said its been a big crutch for me, but I'm proud to say I only have 2 senko fish this year. The rest were jig fish. You guys keep paying 8 bucks a bag. Time for me to step away from the senko. Except at the pond. To weedy for anything else.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:40 am

davidwat1 wrote:
bcalvert wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:I honestly wish the senko was never recommended to me. Although a good bait it has been a hard crutch to get over.
+1 - I want to get out of the "when all else fails, throw a senko" mentality.
-1 You guys are crazy! :jocolor: There is a reason that when all else fails you throw a senko......it catches fish when all else fails! #-o

I'm just yanking your chain, but seriously, I throw a ton of stuff, and prefer to fish fast reaction baits, but trust me when all else fails, I'm throwing a senko! If you are new to bass fishing and trying to gain some confidence in general, you should be doing the same thing! Just my opinion. Have fun out there, and don't be hatin' on the senko, it's one of the most versatile baits ever made. fish it weightless, texas rigged with a bullet weight, drop shot it, carolina rig it, wacky rig it or use it as jig trailer, it can do it all!

Best,
Dave
+1-1=0 I understand what your saying David. I think the senko has served us all well. I am not slamming it because of the product. It is how I rely on that product that I am disgusted with. As someone just getting started chasing bass, I want to work on the skills I need to be versatile. But at the end of the day when I look down at the rod in my hand... An EWG with a 5" senko in color #--- (insert Dez's secret color number) is tied on, I blame myself. The swim jig and crankbait tied to the rods laying on the floor of my boat get lonely.

Trent, here you go 10" P-Stix - Made in WA.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Trent Hale wrote: I'm not saying they don't catch big fish just they don't do it all day long. I did the senko and culprit test out on a Lk two years ago with RB. We found a nice fish that was going up and down the shore line and RB cast his senko over to the fish and the fish went right to it with its nose right on the senko. Then I cast 3 feet away with a 10 in culprit and the fish darted over to the culript and eat the worm. It was only 5.5 or so but we tried this with two other fish with the same results. In all it's fishermans preference on what too use. She likes it big.
So... did you twitch the little senko before throwing in the 10" worm? My impression is that the fish wanted something moving, not just setting there. I'd bet that if you wiggled or even twitched the senko the fish would have grabbed it. Been there, done that.
Tom.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:41 pm

The white spinnerbait produced well yesterday at Kapowsin. No big fish but still fun.
I submitted a report but had an error messege and don't have time to rewrite it at the moment

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Trent Hale wrote: I'm not saying they don't catch big fish just they don't do it all day long. I did the senko and culprit test out on a Lk two years ago with RB. We found a nice fish that was going up and down the shore line and RB cast his senko over to the fish and the fish went right to it with its nose right on the senko. Then I cast 3 feet away with a 10 in culprit and the fish darted over to the culript and eat the worm. It was only 5.5 or so but we tried this with two other fish with the same results. In all it's fishermans preference on what too use. She likes it big.
I would pay a tremendous amount of money if somone made a bait that caught giants all day long.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:18 pm

I understand the "crutch" argument. However, I have never been penalized or rewarded at the scales for the baits I caught my fish on. In fact the weighmaster has ever asked me what I caught them on....only if they are alive. My point is new fishman or old, the idea is to get bit. I wish I could get 5 big ones on a buzzbait every time but my main concern is getting 5 big ones. If I get to catch one or two of them on a new technique or bait that is cool but 5 big ones is all I care about.

On another not I think the senko is the only fish catching bait I ever recall people complaining about being addicted to.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Desertcreek wrote:
I would pay a tremendous amount of money if somone made a bait that caught giants all day long.
Jig. Ya wanna buy a couple from me? lol
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Desertcreek wrote:I understand the "crutch" argument. However, I have never been penalized or rewarded at the scales for the baits I caught my fish on. In fact the weighmaster has ever asked me what I caught them on....only if they are alive. My point is new fishman or old, the idea is to get bit. I wish I could get 5 big ones on a buzzbait every time but my main concern is getting 5 big ones. If I get to catch one or two of them on a new technique or bait that is cool but 5 big ones is all I care about.

On another not I think the senko is the only fish catching bait I ever recall people complaining about being addicted to.
Ok, I'm addicted to crankbaits. Used to be addicted to spinnerbaits, before that I was addicted to plastic lizards. All along the way I've been semi-addicted to topwaters like buzzbaits and propbaits and Jitterbugs. :) Yes I NEED to get back to the plastic worms and lizards this year. Might even try jigs again.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Amx wrote:
So... did you twitch the little senko before throwing in the 10" worm? My impression is that the fish wanted something moving, not just setting there. I'd bet that if you wiggled or even twitched the senko the fish would have grabbed it. Been there, done that.
Yes he did every thing he could do to keep the fish zoned in on the senko. That same day I had caught 2 on the power bait craw T-rig. If we knew, we'ed all be pros. If you guys catch big fish with the senko worms then don't stop using them!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm

That's what keeps me after em. You never know until you get on the water and start trying to piece the puzzle together. One day it's this, the next day it's that. DAMN, I love bass fishing!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:48 pm

One major point in this debate that has been pasted by is the fact that, people who are comfortable and confident with the baits they are throwing catch fish! Every one has a go to and mine wasn't a senko but it fit the style I was comfortable with....They do catch fish and are a great confidence bait for a beginner basser in WA. It is also good to switch things up and try new techniques but you got to do it when the conditions call for a switch and not because you feel bad for throwing a bait to often.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket