Opening day!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
fear_no_fish
Captain

Opening day!

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

with opening day (trout) coming up what lake(s) will you be fishing?
ill be going to lake erie in skagit county
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Opening day!

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 pm

I don't go fishing on opening day anymore. I like it more piecefull than that.
Tom.

Interests: living

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Lake Kapowsin maybe I can avoid the crowds.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 pm

lake wilderness! lots of people but its still fun.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm

it's the 24th, isn't it? I really should go... Pine lake or Rattlesnake are my favorites for opening day. I think the weather is going to be nice (knock on wood)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:33 pm

If I go it will be in the evening or I will go to a lake that is open year round. Or I will go Sunday. Or go to the river. Or stay home...I have many options.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:16 pm

The day I try to avoid like the plague. Everyone and there moms goes out that day like its the only day of the year you can hook into a fish. It's funny too because even the year round lakes are busy on that day. Lakes around here have been stocked for a couple weeks now. I usually wait for the weekdays after the big weekend.

Good luck to everyone going out. Be respectful to everyone on the water and to the lake your fishing.
It will be cool to see the spike in reports for this weekend.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Still undecided, if the road is open I am considering Lake Shannon or maybe one of the lakes that are open year around. We had planned to fish and camp in Eastern Washington but with some recent unexpected car repairs a big trip is not in the budget this week.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:46 pm

yeah i understand what you mean about the crowds but i just go to do it and im almost 17 so its still exciting to me
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:01 pm

I want to go to Green Lake in Seattle, even though its a year round lake. I just wish the last couple of reports were more consistent. The eye candy will make it a good trip. Fish or no fish :albino:
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Y'know, I've found it kind of entertaining going up to Mineral Lake just to watch the show and teach my kids "how not to fish" by watching the crowds on the lake. It's kinda funny watchin' 5 rigs fightin' over the launch like a bunch of little kids... "I was here first!!!" I usually wait until the hooplah dies down and hit it during the week like fishnislife said. That way there's no strife in trying to hit the water.
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 am

My girlfriend and I have a hotel room booked in Leavenworth and will be hitting Fish Lake near Wenatchee. Year round lake and kind of out of the way, hopefully its not a complete clownshow... if so, oh well, what's a little company.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 am

Were doing a lot work on the boat this last few weeks. Im thinking Lake Tapps in the afternoon or Sunday. The launch is usable but the water is still low. Will be taking it slow and easy lookin for the Bass and Tigers.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 am

Amx wrote:I don't go fishing on opening day anymore. I like it more piecefull than that.
Ditto. We don't do opening day anymore, and if we happen to be out on opening weekend, it's on a lake that i year round and doesn't see any appreciable increase in "traffic" as a result. We're going on a road trip this weekend, so no fishing anyway. [blink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

personfly18
Petty Officer

Post by personfly18 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:08 am

im goin to long lake near olympia...looked at past reports their on opening day and they were pretty good...i pretty sure this is a seasonal lake...

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 am

Amateur day? I'd rather have a root canal without anesthesia than go near a lowland lake on that day. Actually I have the day planned as a yard work day.
Life's short - fish hard!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:45 am

Maybe I'll go fishing for.....moles. What bait should I put on the hook? Some sort of grub? Image Maybe a curly tailed grub. Image, and pretty small to fit into that tiny little mouth. I have some pink ones about 3/8" long. Those should work. Got a couple tiny little hooks that might work. Image Now to wait for one to push up another molehill to make a mountain out of. Image
Tom.

Interests: living

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm going golfing....fish a few golf balls out the ponds...don't matter when you go, fishing in washington for the most part is year round....opening day is good for them seasonal'ers.
Ryan

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:32 pm

its a day that people can mark on their calendar almost like a holiday, gives it some extra fun for a lot of people I think. Yeah you can go any day of the year, but for a lot of people I think there is some non-fishing related excitement involved, like the day after thanksgiving and superbowl sunday. There's a number of events at different lakes too. Good for them for getting out, even if it's their only day of the year.

Reiner
Angler

Post by Reiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Haven't been out in awhile so Im going to go play in the crazyness...hit a little lake by the house, lake sixteen - skagit