Leader: Mono or Flouro

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bcalvert
Lieutenant

RE:Leader: Mono or Flouro

Post by bcalvert » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:01 am

I like the idea of having all the tag ends facing the same way on the Slim Beauty Knot. I have noticed that little snag when the the knot is coming through the guides with other knots as Tag mentioned.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:30 am

The biggest mistake I see many people make when using braid to a fluorocarbon leader is in the hookset. Keep in mind, with the virtually no-stretch property of braid and a short shock absorber (fluoro leader), a completely different hookset is required to achieve optimum hook penetration. All that is required is to begin reeling quickly and applying slow steady pressure with the rod. This will drive the hook home. Even with a perfectly tied union, a knot attaching a fluorocarbon leader in the smaller lb. tests has the potential to fail with a hard hookset.

Tnj, the Uni to Uni is an effective, easy to tie knot, which I used for years. However, a well tied Slim Beauty is 20%-30% stronger.

y2says
Petty Officer

Post by y2says » Thu May 13, 2010 8:27 pm

I use mainly powerpro on most of my rods with floura leaders. I like the no stretch with the braid and invisability of the flouracarbon. I use 10lb powerpro with either 6-10lb leader on my spinning gear. This will eliminate your line twist, plus braid last a long time and all you have to do is replace your leader. Saves $$$$. The only rods I use mono is my topwater rod or shallow running crankbait rod.