Mark Wells/ jerkbaits

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Firetiger
Warrant Officer

Mark Wells/ jerkbaits

Post by Firetiger » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 pm

In May 2008, Mark tells F&H News that "Jerkbaits are best in the spring because the fish aren't going to chasedown a bait this time of year.""You really have to tease them in striking."

Still valid advice in April 2010?

Mark was font of Ducktail lures, 6" Week Warrior in natural colors.

Do you know of a online source for Ducktail?

Specific color code to order?
Finally, how do you fish these lures?

TIA

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Mark Wells/ jerkbaits

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:45 pm

There is another thread here under 'Bass fishing' where I posted links to vids of working jerkbaits during cold water times. Same idea for Muskie fishing I'd think.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Firetiger: Here is the website for Jim Korducki, owner of Ducktail Lures.
www.ducktaillures.com
Jim has been a sponsor for Chapter #57 since it's inception.
He is a great guy and takes good care of Muskies, Inc. Chapters. :cheers:
They make that terrific weedless jerkbait called a Warrior Jerkbait, too; it is awesome in the slop.
And he carries a lot of the smaller lures that our tiger prefer.
Other places that carry Ducktails: http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/n ... s=Ducktail
Also Thorne Brothers carries a nice Mania gliding jerkbait callled a muskiemania:
http://www.thornebros.com/muskie/baits/ ... mania.html

AND, I can send you a $10 off coupon for Thorne Bros., if you like (have to spend $50 to get it, but if you are like me, THAT does not take long, lol.)

You can also try Smokey's but their website is not completely updated yet. You can call them at: 262-691-9659
They are in Pewaukee, WI. love that name.
Of course, Firetiger, you can always come on over for a Muskies, Inc Chapter meeting and we RAFFLE OFF Ducktail lures, if you are feeling lucky. Well, are you feeling lucky?

....and, what is better than getting your income tax return in the mail???
Why, having somewhere to spend it, of course: Hot off the presses;

Check this out:
Attachments
RHcatalog.jpg
RHcatalog.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

jigman
Petty Officer

Post by jigman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Auburn Sports and Marine has Ducktail lures in now, good selection of bucktails. Mike

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:49 am

jigman wrote:Auburn Sports and Marine has Ducktail lures in now, good selection of bucktails. Mike
Yea, thats cool that the local shops are finally stocking gear for Tiger Musky. I ordered mine direct last time but its nice to be able actually see them before buying.

:nemo:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:10 am

Hey Firetiger,
A couple of our local anglers make their own lures as well that are pretty successful. Brett is the jerkbait/glidebait master and in fact we are currently raffling off one of his lures along with a new St. Croix Muskie Rod. The combo is $2 a raffle ticket. He was our 2008 Angler of the Year and that caught all but like 1 or 2 of his muskies off his jerkbaits. The other gentlemen is Mr. Mike Floyd, he makes great bucktails. I know his bucktail has helped him become our 2007 and 2009 Angler of the year along with 2009 Tournament Champion.

You could swing by our membership meeting the third Thursday of every month at Round Table Pizza in Federal Way to pick their brains about their techniques and what not. This coming membership meeting will be our Raffle drawing for the Rod and Brett's custom lure in fact.

Bretts Lure At Work

A typical Tiger Caught on one of Mike's Bucktails

Misselley
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Misselley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:10 am

Have to agree with Jani, Ducktaile Lures is awesome. Not only are the lures expceptional but he is also a big supporter of the musky clubs. I have won several of his lures and have purchased some also. Great guy and great company.
Ellen McVey

Field Designs, Sponsor
www.FieldCustomDesigns.com
Cascade Musky Association.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Very cool pics. Love to see the fish in the nets like that and it's always an added bonus to get to see the lure it was caught on.
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:00 am

Fire Tiger,

As you can see the interest in NW Muskies is really growing. Many places now sell equipment designed for Muskies (though some are still limited). I have to agree with the article you referred to based on the fact the Muskies waters are full of young fish this time of year and if you’re trying to "Match the Hatch" so to speak then it makes sense. However, if my memory serves me correct it seem that during a WDFW diet study showed Muskies had larger fish in their stomachs. I maybe wrong here, but I remember being slightly surprised when I hear that..... Hmmmmmmm, can’t remember.

Where is Bruce when we need him..LOL

As far as what exactly you should try, well who knows. One thing will work great for a short time and then might not work again for weeks, months. You are also correct that one might need to slow things down until the water temps start to warm. Muskies can be pretty lethargic this time of year.

Sounds like you’re on the right track in my option. Keep us posted as you research this, one can never have too much knowledge.

This thread makes me smile....

It's great to see good advice being passed by all.....
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

http://www.nwtigermuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:19 am

Dex is correct that matching the hatch is probably your best bet at catching a muskie especially early in the season. Although that is not to say that someone won't catch one that is on something that doesn't at all resemble the current forage base. All esox are opportunistic feeders. If it is enticing enough and can be consumed with the minimal amount of energy as possible, they will eat it. Although you can piss them off too, but I have yet to have that tactic work for me. They always seem to leave.

Now as far as the diet study is concerned Dex again is barking up the right tree. From what I remember is was a study done on silver lake and a 42" tiger had a 18" tench in its stomach. No one knows the circumstances for which the muskie consumed that tench (ie dead on the bottom or ambushed it while swimming by) but I know the majority of the anglers catch more fish on lures between 4"-7". I know dark color bucktails appear to be a lot of westsider favorites in our lakes over here. Nice and slow in the spring, but as the water temperature warms up, the speed of the retrieve should also increase. That goes for other lures too although tactics will need to be changed based on weather patterns and water temperatures as they change throughout the season. Great post fire tiger.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Riverman
Petty Officer

Post by Riverman » Sun May 16, 2010 7:59 am

Many of the fish Mark has caught have been taken on a jerkbait/glider that I built for him several years ago. The bait is about 6 inches long and is a wood version. For those not familiar with the action of a glider you can see a short video I did of one by going here: _M7bHWrpD0M

Jed V.
Bikini Bait Co.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Sun May 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Hey Jed, good to hear from you. Good timing.
I still use that Turmoil I bought from you; great lure. Are you caught up on production?
I know they would be a special addition to the Muskies, Inc. Raffle table.
How about it?
Want to be a sponsor for us, too ? We have 100+- members who would love to put your lure in a picture with a tiger.
And our website www.nwtigermuskies.org just hit a record this last Saturday: 10,000 hits!

Now that is some marketability :money:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 16, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows