Gear and Equipment for Muskie

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dex
Lieutenant

Gear and Equipment for Muskie

Post by Dex » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 am

All,

I was thinking awhile back that web-sites like WashingtonLakes.com are great places for people to come and gather information about the fish we seek and enjoy. What I haven’t seen lately is anything that talks about this topic. I'd like people to share what gear they use and why it's important (rods, reels, leaders, spreaders, etc...).

And of course one can always sit in on a Chapter Meeting to see what we are about.

Also if anyone has a particular question please feel free to ask away.

See you soon

ND
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

http://www.nwtigermuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Teal101
Warrant Officer

RE:Gear and Equipment for Muskie

Post by Teal101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:34 am

Line. Line line line!!!

I'm looking into getting my first musky specific setup. I have a 7'-11" heavy rod rated for 1-6oz lures picked out with a Shimano Corvalus 401 reel. What line? Power pro braid?

Also what wire leaders are you guys using? I'd like to stay with wire for awhile until I get comfortable enough to try out some thick mono leaders.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am

These may be helpful:

Fluorocarbon leaders:
bnsm0imaR0k

Wire leaders:
K3T8RTGU2nM

Leader sensitivity:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6434937036#

leaders:
nJ7p7WCeCps

line, leaders, lures:
http://www.mepps.com/fishing_articles/a ... php?id=192

Line:
UQdq2JCxpLg

I am still a beginner myself, but if you watch others and ask a lot of questions on here and at meetings and read: MUSKIE Magazine, MuskyHunter Magazine, follow local and national forums, etc. it really helps.
And of course to be really successful, you must have one of every muskie lure known to man in your tackle box.....:-# no?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:10 pm

I use 20lb power pro on a 7 foot MH rod I only use 1/2 to 1 oz lures wih a 20lb 9in steel leader. With as heavy a rig as you're thinking you probably should use 40 - 60 pound braid. You could go as high as 80 but you will have a little more trouble casting. When the steel leaders do get kinked change them because it effects the lure action and becomes weak where they are bent. Most folks match the leader to the line and in some cases go much heavier so the leader is stiff and doesn't get fouled in the lure. With the rig you have chosen bucktails will be a good choice to start with. they work well producing fish, very easy to to use and cover lots of water,I asume you have the other tools already [ large net, long needle nose pliers.]
Good luck and stay with it. Are you going to try Evergreen?
Bill
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

Somethin's fishy
Angler

Post by Somethin's fishy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Bill G wrote:I use 20lb power pro on a 7 foot MH rod I only use 1/2 to 1 oz lures wih a 20lb 9in steel leader. With as heavy a rig as you're thinking you probably should use 40 - 60 pound braid. You could go as high as 80 but you will have a little more trouble casting. When the steel leaders do get kinked change them because it effects the lure action and becomes weak where they are bent. Most folks match the leader to the line and in some cases go much heavier so the leader is stiff and doesn't get fouled in the lure. With the rig you have chosen bucktails will be a good choice to start with. they work well producing fish, very easy to to use and cover lots of water,I asume you have the other tools already [ large net, long needle nose pliers.]
Good luck and stay with it. Are you going to try Evergreen?
Bill
Great advice Bill! There is only a couple things I might add. I have found that if you are going to throw heavy baits, say a Bulldog (You can borrow some from Kup, she has'm all!), I would go with 80 lb. Power-Pro, only because, with its larger diameter, it lays on the reel better and doesn't cut into itself when you have to make those sudden thumb stops to avoid ending up with your $35 lure in the bushes (I only know this because I have watched Kenster a lot!). Secondly, regarding leaders, another option is to use Charlie's Fluorocarbon leaders, or you can make your own, like I do. They only end up costing me about $.80/each and I can make them in different weights, from 50#-125#. This allows me to use lighter ones on smaller baits and the big boys when I'm throwing some serious hardware. These don't kink or rust, but make sure you use only top quality swivels or you will regret it when you lose the "big one".
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Well stated Fishy.....

I have used Charlies Leaders for some time now and love them. He sells them on E-Bay at a fair price.

I have been wanting to start making my own but just don't have the time, besides Charlies last so darn well that I still new one laying around.

ND
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks for the great advice guys! I was planning on 60-80lb Power Pro Braid, just wanted a second opinion. I read up on fluoro leaders and I might just give them a go. I will be fishing Evergreen and Curlew mostly. I figure the fluoro will be a must on Curlew with the crystal clear water. Evergreen not so much as it's stained. I nabbed a few out of Curlew last year all under 24". One stripped the gears in a reel I've had since I was 10 haha.

I planned on such a heavy rig because I plan on throwing anything from bucktails to swimbaits with it. The rod is rate 1-6oz so I figure it is a good balanced rod. I can use it for bass swimbaits and Musky.

Great advice fishy. I find myself doing a lot of those "thump stops" up on curlew while bass fishing, seems logical to prepare to do it while fishing for musky up there.

I do have the other required gear, my dad bought a ton of stuff last year, just no quality rods and reels. He's got some saltwater spinning reels and rods, which will work, but I fell in love with baitcasting after buying my two Curados.

I've got a trip planned to evergreen the weekend of the 10th and will definitely wet my heaviest rigged rod and reel combo right now for some musky. It's a heavy 7' Shimano rod with a Curado 301E7 with 15lb yo-zuri hybrid. Should be able to handle some of the smaller musky in that lake.

Again thanks for the great advice and any and all is still welcome!

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 am

Hey Teal,
Just another thing to help tip the odds in your favor and our 2 anglers of the year can attest to this is that the Tiger Muskie's hear in Washington appear to prefer a much smaller, larger bass lure rather than a true muskie lure. Granted I am sure you will catch a few larger tigers on bigger baits, but for more fish and even still big fish, stick with smaller lures.

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm

All the musky I pulled from Curlew last year hit a standard sized Rat L Trap. I have a 4" Trout swimbait and a few other baits around that size to use. Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to not oversize my lure.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Teal, what kind of boat are you taking to Evergreen? Are you Teal101 from the "fuge"?
Rosann
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 am

Rosann G wrote:Teal, what kind of boat are you taking to Evergreen? Are you Teal101 from the "fuge"?
Rosann
Yeah thats me!:cheers:

I'm not sure if we'll have a boat at evergreen. We're currently trying to find one to use as my dad won't let me take his. My friends buddy has one we might be able to borrow, right now I'm contemplating using a float tube:shaking2:

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:51 am

I see a lot of people wearing gloves while handling a Musky. What kind do you all prefer?

I have a new pair of the heavy cotton ones that have the no slip ruberized palm I'll have in the boat this season.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:29 am

RaMcVey wrote:I see a lot of people wearing gloves while handling a Musky. What kind do you all prefer?

I have a new pair of the heavy cotton ones that have the no slip ruberized palm I'll have in the boat this season.
Are those the ones that are specifically made for handling fish or are you referencing the ones you can buy at any local Home Depot or Lowes?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:47 am

Lucius wrote:
RaMcVey wrote:I see a lot of people wearing gloves while handling a Musky. What kind do you all prefer?

Are those the ones that are specifically made for handling fish or are you referencing the ones you can buy at any local Home Depot or Lowes?
The one pair I have are similar to the Home Depot kind but a little different. I like the pair DEX has and am going to look at getting a pair like them.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:12 am

RaMcVey wrote:
Lucius wrote:

The one pair I have are similar to the Home Depot kind but a little different. I like the pair DEX has and am going to look at getting a pair like them.
I will have to bug him about where he got his. I only have one glove for handling fish (the other one flew out while I was driving back from a fishing trip.)

Hey Dex, where did you get your gloves?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 am

I believe he said they were "Lindy"
Attachments
s7_014175_imageset_01.jpg
s7_014175_imageset_01.jpg (2.34 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:32 pm

RaMcVey wrote:I believe he said they were "Lindy"
How much do they cost?

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

There not hard to find, I have seen these at Cabalas and many other fishing stores in the area. They come as singles or pairs. I think I paid around $25-30 bucks, not to bad considering the amount of money we all spend on everything else.

ND
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC

jigman
Petty Officer

Post by jigman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Gloves are for girls! LOL. Mike.

Dex
Lieutenant

Post by Dex » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:33 am

Ouch.......

Why you gotta be like that jigman, after all I've done for you...... (which is nothing, I know)...

LOL

ND
President
Chapter 57, Muskies Inc.
NW TIGER PAC