Looking for mercury outboard manual, and also good outboard repair shop

Have extra equipment just lying around? Need a larger boat or want to sell your current one? Post an ad in our Classifieds forum for swift results. Please, private parties only, no businesses (business please e-mail WL.com for advertising options.
SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Looking for mercury outboard manual, and also good outboard repair shop

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:50 am

I just picked up a 2000 mercury 9.9, and it is not running quite right.

One problem I am noticing is that every time I transport it to the lake in the boat (laying on its side) it takes a bit to get started. Is this because it is laying on its side? My boat is a 12' fiberglass, and I dont want to transport the motor on the transom.

Once started, I cant get it to run with out the choke being on. No matter how long I wait, it doesnt idle with the choke pushed in. The thermostat kicks on, and the unit starts spitting warm water out, which I would take as a sign the motor is warmed up. So, with the choke out, I can run the motor, but it still wont ramp all the way up. I have to find a sweet spot in mid speed, where it will run. Even at that location, it doesnt run completely smooth either.

I need a manual for this motor, but they go for $34 online. Anyone know where I can find one for free download, or cheap purchase?

Also, I will probably need to take this into a shop to have it looked at, since the problem is beyond my basic mechanic abilities. Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
Banks lake for LIFE!

2010 Big Fish Competition:
SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Looking for mercury outboard manual, and also good outboard repair shop

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

I see that you are in Everett. I don't know if this is too far for you.... but I have very high regards for
http://ballardmarineservice.com/default.aspx

Ask for Dale. I have a 25 hp Merc. they have done all my work. It is a very personal, not too large business. They will do what you ask, and when you pick up your motor or speak on the phone with them, you will talk with the person who does the work... therefor I always feel right there involved with what is going on. Sometimes they have fabricated things for me based on what they thought was right for the application. Good guys. They also sell new (and) used outboards, but it looks like you've found one.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm

How is the pricing? I just spent a majority of my extra money on a trailer hitch for my truck.

Does anyone have recommendations for the Everett area? If not, I can run the motor down to Ballard.

(edit - I emailed them, letting them know what problems I am experiencing, waiting to see what they say)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:22 pm

As for the manual, try an INTERNET search to see if you can find one. You should also be able to buy one from a dealer.

Personally, sounds like something for an expert to tackle - but, in the past, I would have messed it even more before I took int in. :-({|= LOL
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Ryan_1
Petty Officer

Post by Ryan_1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 pm

I know that there is a outboard shop at the everett marina that does work on mercs i believe.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:18 am

SnohoBassGuy wrote:One problem I am noticing is that every time I transport it to the lake in the boat (laying on its side) it takes a bit to get started. Is this because it is laying on its side?
How does it run after you get it started? If it runs fine after you get it started, and you have no problems the rest of the day or outing, but then again after transporting the motor it's most likely because it's been laid on the wrong side. My 8hp 4-stroke Merc manual shows it's ok to transport laying on its side with the tiller arm down, also ok to transport laying face up or down if your vehicle will allow it. Don't know if the same applies to your 9.9, but I bet it does. The owner's manual for my 8hp is $24.95 direct from Mercury Parts Express.com. Your local dealer should be able to get one for you as well.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:31 am

Well, the motor wont run right at all, even hours after its been in the boat. It has to be run with the choke on, otherwise it dies. The starting problems only seem to happen when first on the water. I took the motor off my outboard stand (upright), and placed it into a Waste Management can, and it fired right up that time. So, I definitely have a feeling it doesnt like being placed on its side. Would the fact that mine being a 2 stroke, and yours a 4 stroke have any difference in the laying down part?

Outside of the starting issue, it doesnt run right still. I'm kind of penny pinched right now, and the Ballard store that was recommended said it would be $125 for labor, and possibly $80 for a carb kit. The person I emailed thinks it might be running too lean, or the carb needs rebuilt. Its a 2000 motor though, so it doesnt seem right that it would need rebuilt already. I cant really afford $200+ right now, and my Banks trip is about a month away.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:06 pm

SnohoBassGuy wrote:Would the fact that mine being a 2 stroke, and yours a 4 stroke have any difference in the laying down part?
No, it does not. I had a 15hp 2-stroke of similar vintage as your 9.9 and the owner's manual for that motor had the same recommendations for transport, but I can't recall which side the manual said not to lay it on. I won't assume it's the same, but the odds are pretty good they are. IIRC, you want to lay the motor down so the carb is up, but that's a simple question any reputable shop would tell you the answer to regardless of any other issue. If the shop won't tell you which side to lay the motor on for transport, then I wouldn't take the motor to them for repair.

As to your other running issues, it may very well need some maintenance/attention by a skilled mechanic. Not knowing how your motor was cared for prior to you purchasing it doesn't help with determining whether or not the carb needs rebuilt. If poorly cared for, it might need it only after a couple years. I know some will say otherwise, but I have always run Merc fuel system stabilizer and treatment as well as Quickleen in my motors, year round, and have never had a problem with any of the 3 carbed Mercs I've owned in the past. I consider it cheap insurance against $125/hr labor rates.:cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:44 pm

I can get any kicker motors 4 stroke Mercury far beyond retail market values as you add the goodies such as electric start or more options the price slides up.

Have got 2 big foots 9.9 every option for 2 buds the last 3 weeks bed side manner:cheers: :colors: !
They also got future warrenty support as well if needed . I did the used kicker deals for years not all but most are treated like a used dirt bikes and if salt waters used worse. :eye: :cyclopsan :colors:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:44 am

An out board is easy to work on and simple. It sounds like your float in the carb may have a small hole in it whitch would cause some of your probs. Running it with the choke on sounds like a fuel prob,check your fuel filter. On mine I have 3 fuel filters. One out of the tank an in line filter. There should be one on the motor if not you have lots of trash in your carb. Check out IBoats.com.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!