personal ponds.

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fisherman_max
Commander

personal ponds.

Post by Fisherman_max » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:32 am

i myself have fished many personal ponds in my day. i have fished ponds with monster rainbows, or bass or and mixture of all warmwater fish. all of this has promted me and my dad to build our own pond on our land. i was just wondering how i could get a hold of some food, a.k.a minnows etc. to put in my pond to feed the bass i will be stocking it with. also is there anyway i could just buy the bass because transporting caught fish can be difficult.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:personal ponds.

Post by leahcim_dahc » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:35 am

The linky below doesn't directly answer your question, but may be of interest.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/trnsport.htm

Chad
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:26 am

You need to contact the WDFW if your going to do any stocking I believe...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:29 am

Bass Pro and Cabela's both sell automatic feeders for that purpose.

I wouldn't doubt what Sam said though... this state practices (King Co. in particular) emminent domain over personal property to an almost Orwellian level.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:12 am

You can order just about any type of fingerling species online. Do a search. A lot of those websites have suggestions on healthy pond building as well. But like the previous guys stated, definitely check the regs.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:05 am

Ray Scott has a book out covering the best ways to design, build, stock, and maintain small ponds. Another good resource is Oklahoma's Department of Fish and Game www.wildlifedepartment.com They have quite a few pdf pamphlets on private waters.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:19 pm

thanks, i will defanetly check and see if it would be legal haha
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:17 pm

It is legal, but there are certain things you must do to get the WDFW to stock your ponds with fish...

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:52 pm

well if anything they would'nt stock them, we would buy from a dealer or catch them ourselves and cut out the middle man haha

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:well if anything they would'nt stock them, we would buy from a dealer or catch them ourselves and cut out the middle man haha
If you catch them yourself to stock, you stand a good chance of importing disease and parasites into your pond. It usually requires a complete kill to correct and then it will take a couple more years after restocking before you can really fish it and disturb the balance. You can lose all your money and eventually get it back, if you lose those years you can never get those back.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:04 pm

your right, my friends have a pond that has been there for years. and all of their fish reproduce naturally, these include bluegill, catfish and smallmouth bass

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

JayBoy
Petty Officer

Post by JayBoy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:05 pm

question for max,

How do you plan on making your structures for the Lm bass. Have you planned anything, are u importing lillys and seaweed? What about the botttom structure?
Fishing is a Privilege, not a sport!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:36 pm

One tip for people for bottom structure: christmas trees. A writer from Field and Stream did a whole article about 2 years ago about how you can literally go out right after christmas, pick up all the ones people don't want (pretty much as many as you want), tie some bricks or cinder blocks to them, and then sink em in a spot where you know they will always be. They say that they will develop some algae, thus attracting smaller fish, then the fish that eat the smaller fish, and then all the way up to the big bass we catch. Could work out really well.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:One tip for people for bottom structure: christmas trees. A writer from Field and Stream did a whole article about 2 years ago about how you can literally go out right after christmas, pick up all the ones people don't want (pretty much as many as you want), tie some bricks or cinder blocks to them, and then sink em in a spot where you know they will always be. They say that they will develop some algae, thus attracting smaller fish, then the fish that eat the smaller fish, and then all the way up to the big bass we catch. Could work out really well.
A Christmas tree won't stay anchored with cinder blocks or bricks. They just float back up to the top or suspend and drift. Brake rotors from a junk yard are my weapons of choice when sinking Christmas trees. I've done a few.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:46 pm

This leads in to a question that has been buggin me for a while: Are we prohibited from, say, putting the aforementioned X-mas tree or other structure in a place we choose on a WDFW controlled lake?

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:27 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:This leads in to a question that has been buggin me for a while: Are we prohibited from, say, putting the aforementioned X-mas tree or other structure in a place we choose on a WDFW controlled lake?
I don't know the answer to this, but I can say that I have seen many people sink these trees under their private dock on a WDFW, and I haven't heard of any fine or adverse reaction. Maybe its just for homeowners, maybe they just didn't get caught.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:39 pm

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

I never asked about the legality. They would probably want me to spend $30,000 on an environmental impact study, $15,000 for a review, $15,000 for a study of the review, $20,000 for a study of the study of the review study, $25,000 for a review of the study of the study of the review study, and then $.......

Putting A Tree In Your Favorite Fishing Hole....Priceless
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:47 pm

cavdad45 wrote:Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

I never asked about the legality. They would probably want me to spend $30,000 on an environmental impact study, $15,000 for a review, $15,000 for a study of the review, $20,000 for a study of the study of the review study, $25,000 for a review of the study of the study of the review study, and then $.......
I guess in this case its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission... :-" I have pondered the Bill Dance pvc pipe structure kits for making own "hot spot." I may have to give this a litle more thought. At least it would be a little more inconspicuous than hauling a X-mas tree across the lake from the boat launch.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:50 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote: At least it would be a little more inconspicuous than hauling a X-mas tree across the lake from the boat launch.
Do it really early in the morning. Otherwise people will think your just dumping illegally.

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:00 pm

how big are u making this pond
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!