Ok, we need a secret lake

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Ok, we need a secret lake

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:12 pm

This forum is so dry when it comes to secret lakes that I had to think up something that I think is off the beaten path...... If anyone here travels/fishes over near Tonasket, (Okanogan County) You need to go west toward Republic, about 5 miles from Tonasket take a rt. to Aeneas Valley road. There are about 4 lakes (3 miles out along this road) Go to Round lake... this lake is the most consistant lake in the state for me. Rainbows mostly, but fat, six pack abs, up to 3 lbs. It's not exactly secret, but most people outside of the area don't fish it.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

raffensg64
Commander

RE:Ok, we need a secret lake

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:25 am

Alright, quadradomus, here's one! I won't give the lake name but I'll give a couple hints. Spokane County. Selective regulations.

After having caught a few big crappie there while fly fishing for trout, a partner and I decided to explore this lakes crappie potential. The first day we got a half dozen 9-11" crappie with yellow, barbless jigs. Came down the next day and got lucky!!! Despite having fished this lake dozens and dozens of times, I'd never before seen what I'm about to recount. Several large schools of fry, possibly bluegill, bass or crappie, measuring only 1" or so, got pinned against the bank by literally hundreds of 6-8" bass! It was a feeding frenzy! It reminded me of my Georgia days when bass would run shad up and down the bank. Mixed in with these dink bass were an occasional lunker bass and, YEEHAW, dozens of crappie. We'd cast to the bank and retrieve back to our pontoons. These small bass would swarm the jig but thankfully would not take it. Just as the jig would get 5-6 feet under our boats a crappie would pass through the mass of bass and inhale it! We had an absolute blast, nailing 40 or so 9-12" crappie before this spectacle ended and the fish dispersed.

It was a one day gig, though, due to the availability of a vulnerable food source. We have not been able to "repeat the feat". In the half dozen trips since that day we've only managed a dozen or so more. They are back to hanging out in the deep water, where they are tough to target, and most likely won't be available for easy pickings until the spring when they spawn in shallow water.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:27 pm

raffensg64,

I am sure that must have been one of the ultimate times you always refer back to with a buddy, about that time we were at ..........lake and saw the ............ over the years there have been at least 2 or 3 experiences that will always be remembered.

shweeet
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:43 pm

I won't completely give it away, but there's a secret lake near Anacortes. It is off the beaten path and not visible from any roads, but is only a few yards from one. It is very small, less than three acres and shaped like a standard swimming pool complete with a deep end and a shallow end. There are lots of crappie, not big, not small, but Okay to fillet. There are a few perch, big ones! A good balance of bass, but nothing over three pounds.

This lake is very rocky so it warms up good in the early spring. The deep hole and a couple overhanging trees on the opposite side are about the only fish structure used in the daylight. At night, the other two-thirds of the pond become fishable as the fish go hunting. A few cattails are the only form of vegetation.

Those are the hints. Try to figure it out. By the way, it has no name, but is usually refered to by what it once was or by what is nearby. PM me if you think you know it.