How Do You Know If A Pond/Lake Is Private?

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishingFool
Captain

How Do You Know If A Pond/Lake Is Private?

Post by FishingFool » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:42 pm

was looking at Google maps and saw lots of lakes/ponds close by. Wouldnt mind getting my line wet, but I dont want any trouble.

mallard83
Commodore

RE:How Do You Know If A Pond/Lake Is Private?

Post by mallard83 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:01 pm

Really the best thing you can do is knock on some doors and ask. Try to find the owner or someone who lives on the water. If the body of water is not listed in the regs than it falls under the general rules section, so read up on that. So basically if the body of water is not listed in the regs, than you need to ask the people that live on it's banks if it is all right with them to fish it. Good luck with trying to get access, I don't know how old you are but I am 24 and it is sometimes a real pain to get access to some privet property to hunt or fish because of my age. It doesn't hurt to ask though because every once and a while I get lucky.

Good luck.

Smooth
Angler

Post by Smooth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:02 pm

Another good bet is to get a BLM map of the area. BLM maps identify (not 100%, but close) land ownership/management authority.
From that you can determine if the water lies on private property or public land.
Good Luck!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:48 pm

Smooth wrote:Another good bet is to get a BLM map of the area. BLM maps identify (not 100%, but close) land ownership/management authority.
From that you can determine if the water lies on private property or public land.
Good Luck!
I agree with Smooth, this is another great way to find out. But if you do find out it is private, make sure you check with the owners before fishing.