Storm Ponds.

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JT26
Commander

Storm Ponds.

Post by JT26 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:11 pm

This morning i was extremely bored and was just looking around on google maps. I found these two storm ponds in walking distance of my house, that i had never seen before. I wondered if it had any fish in it so a dug up about 6 worms, put my rod/reel in its cylinder case thing, and grabed my some hooks, and lures, and an old thing of fish food and threw it all in my backpack and left.

When i got there the ponds were very muddy, and i fished on the right one because it was less muddy. The first thing i noticed was a small fallen tree and some rocks in the water so i fished there. The pond was only like 6 feet deep, max. While i set up my rod i through out some fish food to see if anything ate it, and it was like i started a feeding frenzy, i got exited until i relized they were goldfish.

After seting up my line with a worm and bobber, it didnt take long to get a fish. It was a small bullhead catfish, and i caught 2 more of them about the same size but one was alot bigger. I also caught a sunfish, and a carp, but i ran out of worms.

Cant wait to get some more and fish there, but im moving sunday so i wont be able to fish at myu newly discovered pond :(
Attachments
ponds.JPG
ponds.JPG (93.2 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

RE:Storm Ponds.

Post by gpc » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Those little ponds are great. You never know whats actually going to be in them, and almost any body of water that has been there long enough will have fish in them. Too bad you have to move after just finding it. If I were you I would go down there right at dusk and stay until about midnight or so. You already know there is some type of catfish, and catfish are pretty much nocturnal. So might as well give them a going away present. LOL good luck

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:13 pm

A word of caution though, I would throw back anything you catch and not eat any because these storm ponds usually have a lot of pollutants in them. However gpc is right and these storm ponds can be a blast to fish, it's just to bad you found your little secret a little to late. Good luck, and fish that little pond hard this week, you just might be surprised at what you get. Some hold rather large fish.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:00 pm

lol there is a storge pond behind my house that I have never even thought about fishing.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:29 am

Hey JT, if I am right you mentioned you were moving to the eastside - and I know I have seen posts from you for Phantom Lake.. I work at a business campus just south of Phantom - back about 10 years ago I worked swing shift and in the summer would take a walk around a jogging trail nearby. There are two little retention ponds that have water year round, I aways said I would like to drop a line in and see if anything came out and never got to it. If you (or anybody) are up for a little exploring you might try them. Now if I can just describe how to get to em.. directly across SE 24th ST from Phantom is the jogging trail, follow it west around the corner and you will see em on your right. they are at the south end of 158th Ave SE, but if I remember there was a gate there. here is the google link to them..
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll= ... &z=16&om=1
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:52 am

I have to try fishing a storm pond. A lot of the ones in my area have fences around them but I'm sure there is probably some that aren't fenced in.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:49 pm

I fish three little ponds out in _________ (like im going to tell you all) and they are small...They are all right next to eachother, and are all like the size of swimming pool. I can go out and get a good 30 minutes of fishing out of them and pull atleast a half dozen bass out of each pond before they are all done biting because I've caught them all....No, they are no bass worht taking pictures of, but its fun to try a new lure or a new technique out at that lake cause your guaranteed a fish, so it's a lot of fun.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....