Why do you fish?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
kutthroatkilla
Commander

Why do you fish?

Post by kutthroatkilla » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Why do you fish?

What do you get out of fishing?

What does fishing get out of you?
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

RE:Why do you fish?

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Fishing allows me to get away from:

Phones (phone usually doesn't work at the lakes I go to)
Wives (I still love one of them...but sometimes you just got to get away)
Children (Love them... but hey... they're children.. and sometimes you just need to get away from them)
Work (this fills just about every waking moment of my life that I'm not fishing)
Computers (see above)
People (sometimes I just can't stand em)
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Why do I fish? Because I can!

Over my life time I've been a participant in nearly every active sport. I found out that I could split my time up and be so-so and maybe good in several, but not really a top 10%'r in them. Being extremely self competitive meant that I'd mentally flog myself if I wasn't operating at 100% effectiveness. I decided to focus my available recreational time and discretionary income on fishing as it gave me more pleasure and relaxation. It was a very good choice.
Life's short - fish hard!

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 pm

i agree with wolverine but it's not just that i can or it's relaxing but more than that. I fish because that's one that that my father and myself had in common. It's one thing that he taught me before he left my life (death) when i was 13 years old not by choice so that's why i do it.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 pm

:thumleft: :thumright
Aaron wrote:Fishing allows me to get away from:

Phones (phone usually doesn't work at the lakes I go to)
Wives (I still love one of them...but sometimes you just got to get away)
Children (Love them... but hey... they're children.. and sometimes you just need to get away from them)
Work (this fills just about every waking moment of my life that I'm not fishing)
Computers (see above)
People (sometimes I just can't stand em)
Aaron took the words right out of my mouth regarding what I like to get away from. What I like hold on to are the serenity of being on the water, the mystery of those little creatures in their alien world beneath the surface and the challenge of getting them on and then the fight to get them in.:thumleft: :thumright

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:01 am

reigndawgs wrote: mystery of those little creatures in their alien world beneath the surface
Thats why I scuba dive. Very interesting stuff below the surface.

I get alot of peace, relaxation and serenity from being out on the boat fishing. I dont get the same feeling fishing from shore, close, but I gotta be out on the boat. Maybe it's the isolation too.

There are good cases for family fishing and adult only fishing, so I practice both.

But it's so much more peacefull when the kids are doing other things!!!
Attachments
HPIM2469_resize.jpg
HPIM2469_resize.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:30 am

RaMcVey sums it up fairly well and I'll add that I just plain like the challenge. Unless I'm out fishing to fill the freezer, once I hook a fish or two you'll find me rummaging around in the tackle box to see what else will work, I just can't help myself. I choose to hunt for similar reasons and I find I sleep much better after a day of fishing or hunting.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 am

I'm not entirely sure why I fish, and even if I could fully understand why, it probably couldn't be adequately put into words. I think that hundreds of thousands of years of evolution have encoded the desire to "gather," into my genes. Attempting to resist powers of that magnitude would be a futile mission at best. :farao: :viking:

Also, there's that whole part about fishing being ridiculously fun. :dj:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:03 am

Fishing is just another way to relax.Catch or not.To me its been a large part of my life growing up in the Northwest.I love a beautiful river or stream .Nothing is a peacefull to me as fishing is.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:58 am

Good thread.
Why I think I enjoy fishing so much? I think of it as such a mystery. I always feel like with every cast, you just don't know what might come back to you. I used to think that the salt water was a total smorgasboard of opportunity. You never knew what you might get. This is still somewhat true,,, but certainly not as rich an enviroment as it was as a kid.
But I do pull up a skate every now and then.

What fishing gets from me?? A lot of money and time away from the family. Although I get out with them too.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm

=d> One word or two:clown: DNA and Domination:-$ , hunt, fish, fight, all sports to outhink, outperform and to make as many young kids have more talent then the norm.
To search the Globe, uncover every rock and leave a dent in it for my Pirate Mates from doing and I always wanted to beat the netting and tribes as well[-( :viking:

Your game starts at age 5 in Alaska and the world over your choices will mask your game fishing and hunting was never a choice it was are life and style.

Mine had a few more choices and a few easier water side lessons but still love it and it beats the mall. electronics and text messaging 10,000 per month to death.

The outdoors is a lifestyle and adventure and some had a choice:cheers: some were born into the catch and kill:-$
Now pass the cupcakes:cyclopsan [-x lol

To Relax not one trip not one event until the game was over then we relaxed loved and shared well some did:colors: :clown:
Attachments
alaska_2006_191.jpg
alaska_2006_191.jpg (126.65 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:21 pm

when i fish i forget about all the b s in my life everything seems to go away i guess its mindset .i crack the v max in the butt and the frown turns upside down. even if i dont catch anything i still smile. its a good way to clear the mind and relax.ouadfathers right about the mystery aspect.lets face it if you filled the boat everytime that would get kinda boring. fishing gets my money also but i dont regret it . its the best high i ever had and every trip iam higher than before and what a great learning experence . i learn something every time how fullfilling is that its totally worth it . the adventure never ends ill fish till i die.
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:02 pm

Why, all of the above! Yes, even Swede sums it up.

I love the outdoors, and I do far more then fish, I hunt, I am into archery, and when my knees were up to it, there was no mountain I did not want to climb.

I think it is the need to "get away from it all".
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 pm

It takes you back to a simpler time. One on one with Mother Nature, can you outperform her?? Way back you had to, or go by the wayside. I guess it feels good to know you can provide for yourself if you have to.

Friends, family, togetherness.

Sometimes, days like this, just a great way to reflect on life and all that happens around you. Catching or not.....

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:38 pm

:-$ :cheers:
Attachments
CIMG4307.jpg
CIMG4307.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
fishon_holy_cow.jpg
fishon_holy_cow.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa99999999999999.jpg
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa99999999999999.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm

I have wondered many times what my drive to fish is really all about. I see any body of water and wonder what might be under the water. Fishing can be serene and peaceful and all. But it is the contrast from going from that feeling to an instant violent struggle for life that does it for me. When the line goes tight, or I feel a tug, or the pole tip moves, adrenaline hits my gut and it is ON. My focus narrows, time slows down, I don't feel hunger or cold... I am instantly consumed by the struggle to get the fish to me, to see what mystery animal is tugging on the line. I want to have the choice of releasing it or not, its life in my hands. Like a cat and a little wiggling mouse that it has instinctively caught. There is something primal about it.
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:58 pm

I've been fishing since I was about 5 years old (43 now). I grew up fly fishing at Salmon Lake in Canada where the fish are or at least were wild and the strike of any one of those fish could take the poll right out of the boat. My dad always took me fishing and we spent many a trip in Eastern WA fly fishing and catching some very nice fish. I've always loved the feeling when a fish takes the fly. They hit so hard and the fight is on. I agree that for me it is also very relaxing and I love to be outdoors, both on the water or in the woods, and I love camping as well. I also love to eat fish, both fresh and salt water species. Fishing is bar none my favorite thing to do and it definitely takes my mind off of day to day life. I am also blessed to have married a woman who likes to fish. My dad always told me to marry someone who loved to fish and camp. Mission accomplished.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:36 pm

I fish/get outdoors to get in touch with myself and to remember what is really important in life. I am not the most religious man but I think I get out of fishing and being outdoors what most get from church. It is a way of life and to many degrees a addiction with me. I am so grateful I have two wonderful boys to share it with because another thing that I think of when I think of hunting/fishing is the hundreds of camping trips with the whole family and getting out with my boys helps me to remember the good times:sunny:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

surenough
Petty Officer

Post by surenough » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:42 am

I fish because I spent to much time away from my family with my businesses and poker. I can fish like I play poker....sit there for 4-10 hours just thinking and enjoying it completely. You know hen you love something when you don't realize how much time actually went by in what you thought was an hour.

Its kinda like poker for me because you dont know when your going to hit a big one and you have play the cards/fish just right so you don't lose the chips/fish you have been working so hard to hook...make sense?

Any how that's why I fish, more family than anything.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am

All answers are so great and true.Again this is a great thread.Id like to see other peeps answers too.I know some guys who love the challenge while others love to kill.Some folks eat their catch and others freeze it all for some odd reason.I think the same way urbanangler sees it.When I see water I wonder what gear would I use or look at great looking holes from the roadside.Like Dave I've been fishing Wa state for 50 years now.I too started at around 5 yo with my pops.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.