Metal detecting

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
E=mc2ii314
Angler

Metal detecting

Post by E=mc2ii314 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 am

So recently ive got interested in metal detecting . was wondering if anyone wants to link up and do some detecting? Whent for the first time yesterday. Found 96 cents lol. 3 quarter's 3 nickles and 6 pennys lol. I want to find some old coins. Im on the west side of Olympia btw

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Metal detecting

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 pm

That sounds like a blast. What type of setup do you have?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 pm

E=mc2ii314 wrote:So recently ive got interested in metal detecting . was wondering if anyone wants to link up and do some detecting? Whent for the first time yesterday. Found 96 cents lol. 3 quarter's 3 nickles and 6 pennys lol. I want to find some old coins. Im on the west side of Olympia btw
Have fun with that . Bummer, I am in N. Seattle.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:03 pm

My dad and I used to do this at the beaches along the Puget Sound. After a couple years we had a mason jar halfway full of metal things we found. Best things we found were a mercury dime, a few silver quarters, 3 or 4 buffalo nickels, same number of wheat pennies, a button off of a sailor's uniform from the 40's, and a silver ring, most of which we found at low tide or in clay embankments at Picnic Point. A great thing we found to use we made ourselves was a little sifter, especially if you are near water, or in sand. I can't remember where we picked up the metal for it, but it was sheet metal with half-inch squares stamped out of it. Basically made a basket out of the material, it worked great for getting the sand or dirt away from larger objects.

I always wanted to wait until the water was low at somewhere like the Snohomish river and go metal detecting for fishing gear [laugh]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Juniah87 wrote:
I always wanted to wait until the water was low at somewhere like the Snohomish river and go metal detecting for fishing gear [laugh]
On that note, this being a Pink year, if you go to places like the Snoho. river at low tide, (In Sept. of course). it is better stocked with Pink hootchie jigs, than most of the relevant tackle stores.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm

I have wanted to try that for several years. During the summer of 1999 we built a new boat facility at 25 Mile Creek State park at Lake Chelan. We finished that project in the fall during high water. The next spring I went back to do some "punch list" work, the water was so low that there was no water in the new boat basin. I started scratching around in the sand and mud and found a lot of change, three disposable cameras and a couple costume jewelry rings and a bunch of beer cans. With the low water on Lake Roosevelt right now I would think a person would have a lot of fun going boat ramp to boat ramp. Right now I'm to busy being retired to take on new past times but maybe someday. Good luck and stay safe.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:10 am

E=mc2ii314 wrote:So recently ive got interested in metal detecting . was wondering if anyone wants to link up and do some detecting? Whent for the first time yesterday. Found 96 cents lol. 3 quarter's 3 nickles and 6 pennys lol. I want to find some old coins. Im on the west side of Olympia btw
I'd join you, but Olympia is a little far away for me too. You might check out http://metaldetectingforum.com. I've been part of this forum for a few years and it's full of great members. I highly recommend it. I think there are a couple of guys in your area and I know there are a few in Tacoma who are really nice. I go by the same screen name on that forum as this.

What kind of metal detector did you get? I started with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV then moved up to a Garrett AT Pro.

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Metal detecting sounds like a fun hobby - something I've always thought about doing. My dad in SD metal detects old abandoned farms (with permission) he has found a lot of interesting stuff. Have any of you ever found a meteorite? What model would you suggest for a mid-range detector?

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Fishin'Daze wrote:Metal detecting sounds like a fun hobby - something I've always thought about doing. My dad in SD metal detects old abandoned farms (with permission) he has found a lot of interesting stuff. Have any of you ever found a meteorite? What model would you suggest for a mid-range detector?
For a mid-range I'd suggest something like the Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F70, Tesoro silver UMAX, etc. Those will run in the $400-$700 range. For a good beginner detector I'd suggest a Garrett ACE 250/350, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, etc. There are many to chose from, but I suggest spending about $200-$300 to get into the hobby for a detector and a pinpointer. If you want to just get your feet wet, then a Bounter Hunter Tracker IV can be had for less than $100 through Hobby Lobby with a coupon. A lot depends on how and where you want to detect (dirt, water, salt water, etc).

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:31 am

Thanks for the info BentRod. Sounds like I need to figure out where I would detect most of the time. Around here probably mostly beaches like Ocean Shores. When I make my yearly fishing trip to SD/Minn most likely old abandoned farms with my dad.
Sooooo... this leaves me with one more question - Is there a rule/regulation book that covers metal detecting? Wouldn't want to do anything illegal. [unsure]

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Unfortunately there are no general rules. Regulations vary between federal, state, county, and city lands and those are not always crystal clear. I find that most of the time I don't overthink it and just go out and have fun. I've never been asked to stop, but do educate myself on the rules wherever I go, so that if I am stopped I can fein ignorance or argue why it's ok to be doing what I'm doing....again, I've never been asked to stop anywhere. I do get curious people asking what I'm finding though.
Most of the metal detectors in the $100-$700 price range are going to be VLF (variable low frequency) detectors that will do well in most soils, dry sand, or fresh water conditions. However they don't play well in salt water or heavily mineralized areas. For those situations and more expensive PI (pulse induction) style or another style (can't remember what it's called) is better, but if you plan to only hunt the dry sand area and in the dirt away from the water, then you'll do just fine with one of the VLF detectors. Of course there are more details to the pros and cons of each, but I'll spare you that long winded answer.
I really enjoy the AT Pro I own and have hunted the dry sand of the Oregon and Washington coasts as well as multiple locations around eastern and western Washington. There are detectors better suited for our area then the AT Pro, but they cost between $1500-$3000, so I'll not be upgrading to one of those anytime soon. I've found plenty of great stuff with my two units.....and it is just a hobby after all.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like more info. I've learned a lot in the 5 years I've been metal detecting.

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks BentRod. You sound like you really know your stuff. I guess it's time to talk to the boss (wife) and see what's in the budget. Maybe if I promise to bring her along sometimes I can up the ante. Again thanks for your info - also shared this with my dad - he's thinking about upgrading.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:24 pm

You're more than welcome. I can't say I'm an expert, but have learned quite a bit since I got into it. I'm less knowledgeable of the saltwater machines, but there is a ton of info and some very helpful people on the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum site that I linked earlier in this thread. Of course, just like fishing, everyone has an opinion on what they think is best, but still some good info there.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the Minelab Xterra series (705 for a mid-range) in the previous post. Minelab has some really great technology.

Adrien Rabiot
Angler

Post by Adrien Rabiot » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 pm

What type detector do you have? I have a Whites Spectrum XLT.