Car tab renewal sticker shock

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Car tab renewal sticker shock

Post by Toni » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Toni wrote:I am outside the district but I did the est. my tabs and found they are going up $30. Why?
Are you in Pierce county Toni? Cause if so, you're in ST3 and will have an increase on your tabs.

Bodo, my understanding is ST3 will be anxious to start spending money because once they do they can go to the courts and say the money spent is backed by bonds that must be re-paid by the taxes.

I'm thinking it's going to be next to impossible to reverse this tax.
It said I was outside of the sounder district. http://m.soundtransit.org/About-Sound-T ... g-district
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

If I'm reading Toni's link info correctly, it's actually 1.1% per $1000 of MVET, up from .3%, i.e., an additional .8%.

not to mention the increase in general sales taxes and property taxes.

So Toni, good for you if you're outside the area.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Remember people while you are dealing with Tab Renewal Fee shock... state is considering to replace gas tax or reduce gas tax and replace lost revenue with a "Road user charge", where you will be charged per mile rather than a gas tax. Gas tax is based on amount of fuel - and those with hybrid cars and cars with higher gas millage will be the ones crying.

And yes I kind of freaked when we got the tab fee but I also did read the sound transit measure and know that I"m replacing current car this year and will watch tabs take off badly (car I drive is held together by bubble gum and bailing wire ---- kidding ---- I think... it's just old.)

Electric cars are currently paying $100.00 annual registration fee for their cars. As for the light rail up north - it was going to happen no matter what.

I guess what I'm hearing here is a similar whine that people at lake Serene are going on about now. That being $200.00 a year additional property tax for fixing/replacing the clogged drainage pipe (that for whatever reason) is mostly on private land. I honestly thought that drainage line ran along the boat launch area... but what do I know... nothing I guess.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 am

Call it whining if you wish but it's horrible tax increase for an outdated mode of transportation that most of us will never see, use, or benefit from. And once (if ever) in place will do nothing of significance for commuting.

But hey, the people voted for it so those of us that didn't can be called whiners I guess. All I know is Washington is sucking the tax payers dry. There will be a repercussion, just like what California is dealing with. The well isn't bottomless.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:46 am

Mike Carey wrote:Call it whining if you wish but it's horrible tax increase for an outdated mode of transportation that most of us will never see, use, or benefit from. And once (if ever) in place will do nothing of significance for commuting.

But hey, the people voted for it so those of us that didn't can be called whiners I guess. All I know is Washington is sucking the tax payers dry. There will be a repercussion, just like what California is dealing with. The well isn't bottomless.
So true and if you look at the US as a whole (We seem to be first in line and or taking up the rear in trends), we see what happened in November and despite the huge numbers of over the top liberals, it will happen here. The Republican party has been doing the same gerrymandering here that they've been doing everywhere else, it's how they have hold of the congress. It's only a matter of time before we have our own little "Trump" in the Governors seat.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:37 am

Sooner or later the tax will be spread "state wide" just like the law enacted in 2014 to require county auditors add a license renewal fee to fund construction and purchase of state ferries. Not many ferries on this side of the Cascades, but we're assessed a fee every time we renew our vehicle licenses. :thumbdown
Due to a new state law, the County Auditor's Office now collects the same total fee as the Subagent offices. The fee change applies to all methods of payment, including walk-in, internet and mail. The new fee is collected at only the County office and funds the construction or purchase of state ferry vessels.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:35 pm

I would venture to guess the folks who live over there and have no vehicle and rely on Public transportation have no concern about how much the tax goes up on the system they use. I do believe that most municipal vehicle's are exempt on tags as well. That includes the fact they might live in a rental dwelling and so once again the increase is not that much of an issue. Granted the rent might increase some but not sure the full cost will reflect in the rent..
So it cost them nothing to pass this law.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Don't want it...look at this bill
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillN ... &Year=2017
SB 5817 - DIGEST
Authorizes taxes approved by regional transit authority
voters after January 1, 2015, to be nullified within the
complete boundaries of a city or county within a regional
transit authority if certain conditions are met.

http://curtisking.src.wastateleg.org/contact-me/
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Well people voted for ST3, just like other things they voted for that they might regret. I didnt vote it. I live on the south end of Bothell, near the Kirkland border, and the expanded light rail they want doesn't come anywhere near my house. My personal opinion, public transport should be more expensive than it is for the people that ride it!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:17 pm

In other words: "you use it, you pay for it."

NOT those who don't use it!
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm not opposed to a community paying for something that benefits all even though one may not use it personally. Money is spent for various projects all the time that we all pay for but don't necessarily use. "for the good of society" is a reasonable thing to me. (now here comes the big "but")

But this project is nothing more than a giant boondoggle. Costing way in excess of any tangible benefits to our state and sucking desperately needed revenue away from critical needs. It will allow (if ever completed) a tiny fraction of commuters the ability to have a faster commute at an unacceptable cost per rider. Amx is correct, the "fare" will not come remotely close to the cost per rider. And the gridlock on our roads will continue to get worse.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 am

Give us a state lottery they said. We'll have plenty of surplus money they said.

Let us legalize weed they said. We'll have plenty of surplus money they said.

onmygame

JAYDOG
Petty Officer

Post by JAYDOG » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 am

Toni wrote:Don't want it...look at this bill
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillN ... &Year=2017
SB 5817 - DIGEST
Authorizes taxes approved by regional transit authority
voters after January 1, 2015, to be nullified within the
complete boundaries of a city or county within a regional
transit authority if certain conditions are met.

http://curtisking.src.wastateleg.org/contact-me/
Thank you Toni for the link. I have used it and contacted my 3 representatives to support this bill !!!!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:46 am

There is an article in todays Seattle Times.
Sound Transit uses inflated car values to collect higher tab fees

Sound Transit says used cars are worth more than they actually are. That’s one reason why some people have been shocked by higher car-tab fees being collected for transit expansion approved by voters last year.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 am

Larry3215 wrote:There is an article in todays Seattle Times.
Sound Transit uses inflated car values to collect higher tab fees

Sound Transit says used cars are worth more than they actually are. That’s one reason why some people have been shocked by higher car-tab fees being collected for transit expansion approved by voters last year.
Where have we heard THIS before. [rolleyes]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:13 pm

But will it actually be fixed??

http://komonews.com/news/local/skyrocke ... ncy-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:14 am

Instead of 60 cars on the road there's 1 bus with 60 people therefore minimizing traffic and environmental damages. Now times that by lets say 5000.. That's potentially 300,000 less vehicles on the road during the day and that's just in the metroplex.. I live in Marysville and occasionally have to commute to south sound areas and it costs me less than 10 dollars where as 10 dollars in gas wouldn't get me out of Snohomish co. Its ridiculous that these taxes get passed and then the things do not get fixed or upgraded as they claim they will be but any bill that funds transportation or schools etc etc always get my support.. Might be that i use it daily and have 1st hand witnessed the expansion of routes but who knows

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:29 am

Are there really 5000 public buses in the metroplex?