Target practice in the mountains/woods?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Target practice in the mountains/woods?

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Hey all just curious who ever goes shooting in the woods/mountains instead of at a regulated range?

ive read on WDFW that there are sections of baker/snoqualmie national forest where it's allowed with proper backstop and as long as you clean up (obviously) but that is a huge area and would have no idea where to start other than atleast 150 yards from homes/campsites etc.
Are there any popular "go to" spots?
How can I find a proper backstop?

Answers to any of these question would help greatly.
Even a general area a little more specific than baker-snoqualmie forest would help.
preferably an hour and a half or less from Seattle.
Thanks!

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: Target practice in the mountains/woods?

Post by Onmygame » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:56 pm

150 yards away from homes or campsites is nothing. Might as well be 15 feet as bullets can travel for miles, and are lethal all along the way.

If you don't want to go to the range - and I don't blame you as it is costly, seek out what we call a 'gravel pit' in the area you wish to plink.

These aren't actual gravel pits so much as areas that were excavated for the fill used in making adjacent logging road systems. Usually several acres in size, and sometimes there are a couple right next to each other, they all have one thing in common - they slope downward toward the bank at the end. It is this bank, or wall of earth that you would use as your backstop. To use anything else other than solid earth as a backstop would be grossly negligent.

Use google earth to scan the area you wish to go, and look for dirt colored clearings right next to logging roads. Then go explore in person to verify that what you found is indeed a pit. It may take some time and gas, but once you've found one that suits your needs you will know where to go in the future. That is,... provided the area doesn't become closed off due to people who failed to 'pack it out'

The best of luck.

onmygame

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:50 am

You may find this helpful,
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/home/ ... RDB5324910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 478900.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:36 am

Thank you very much this is very helpful.
I said atleast 150yards because that's the law, not because I was thinking that would stop the bullet, I believe it's because the noise can't be that close to others? Anyways thanks again

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:59 am

I know of a good pit up near Darrington if your interested in shooting up there?
Haven't been there for a year or so but its a nice large pit.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:43 am

Scheindogg wrote:Thank you very much this is very helpful.
I said atleast 150yards because that's the law, not because I was thinking that would stop the bullet, I believe it's because the noise can't be that close to others? Anyways thanks again
I go up the Mt. Baker Highway every weekend to go shooting, out at one of a few gravel pits. The main one out there can get a little busy on nice weekends, but it is pretty big. Last weekend (12/11/16) My buddy and I took my Jeep through a few inches of snow to get there and it was empty except for us the whole time! Some good wheeling too [thumbsup] . This one is located out North Fork Road - Right off Mt Baker highway onto Mosquito Lake Rd, then left onto North Fork Road, and follow that out several miles to a smaller and a larger gravel pit right near each other. This one does require a Discover Pass, and they do often come check to see if people have them. The second gravel pit is my favorite, although a smaller one. It is located up Sumas Mountain, off of a logging road. You can get to this one by taking a left on Market Road from Mt Baker Highway. It is a decent trek up the logging road to get there, but if you stay LEFT on every main turn you will go right to it, as well as all the way to the top for an amazing view of Bellingham and Canada. Sumas Mountain also has a spot where steel targets are set up at 1,000 yards. (a little hard to explain how to get to this one). These roads require a Northwest Forest Pass, although I have never been checked up there. Another option is further up the highway, take a right on Glacier Creek Road and an immediate left onto the forest road connecting to it. About a mile or so up the road there is a huge gravel pit that they usually gate off but provides access to a couple hundred yard long gravel pit with a massive hill on the back side (great for long range). There are many many other good/safe places to shoot for free as well if you just take an afternoon to explore some logging roads. I will try to DM you some links to where these specific spots are located, so you can explore them for yourself. Happy shooting [biggrin]

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:40 am

Thank you everyone and for the DMs I will check at least a couple of these places out!!

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:41 am

There is a decent pit out on the N.fork Snoqualmie, you have to drive about 12-13 miles on the FS road. The pit will be on the right when the road turns left. About the first ten miles is private timber property but the FS road is open to the public, may be hard to get in there in the winter though.