Breach into WDFW online purchases

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Breach into WDFW online purchases

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:56 am

I got a 2 page letter from the State of Wa explaining the breach into their computer system and how all our info was compromised. The perpertrators got our personal info. It said it was on all online purchases.My question is if I bought my license thru a store like Big 5 or Walmart is that still considered a online purchase?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Breach into WDFW online purchases

Post by Bodofish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:40 am

racfish wrote:I got a 2 page letter from the State of Wa explaining the breach into their computer system and how all our info was compromised. The perpertrators got our personal info. It said it was on all online purchases.My question is if I bought my license thru a store like Big 5 or Walmart is that still considered a online purchase?
Yes, as they are "Online" with the State. They kind of make up their own terms.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Coffee
Angler

Post by Coffee » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 am

I'm kinda losing hope on keeping my identity and info secure. It's starting to look unrealistic. Maybe we should just push in the direction that someone else having the info can't use it to hurt us.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:08 pm

After what Ive been through the past 5 years I cant imagine who would want to be me. :-({|=

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:33 pm

What can you do, at least they offered a two year monitoring service. I signed up for that, pretty nice knowing that I'll get a phone call before anything gets opened in my name. We've already had our information compromised from the Target and Home Depot hacks. It's a pain!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Don't feel bad, I had mine taken from Uncle Sam when applying for security clearances. I already have a few years of monitoring, nothing but a PITA.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 pm

Hahaha. Not funny but when I went for my clearance to work for the Navy they told me the same.I got the two year deal from the state. I did get a cool hat from the Nimitz though with my name embroided on it.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:29 am

DoD and VA have both sent me letters about personal information breach. I figure if they can't stop hackers no one else can either. Knock on wood, no problems, BUT we proactively monitor all our accounts, data, and take immediate action when we notice anything unusual. Not much else one can do anymore. [sad]

Government security clearance? Top Secret Special Background Investigation = no stone left unturned. Held that for 10yrs. [blink]

Want to hear something that will make you stop and wonder? Every promotion order, every change of assignment order, every temporary duty order, every decoration order during my USAF career listed SSNs. Those orders had numerous individuals on each one. I have hundreds of other people's SSNs in my personal military records. We live in a much different world today.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

PRM
Petty Officer

Post by PRM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:30 am

I work for a local financial institution and we deal with merchant compromises all the time. The best thing you can do in a situation like this where social security numbers have been compromised is to put a fraud alert on your credit. When you do this, you designate a phone number that any creditor has to call (such as your cell phone) and speak with you before opening any new credit accounts. It's free to do, and it lasts about 6 months. To do this just visit any one of the 3 credit bureaus:

https://www.transunion.com Phone: 1-800-680-7289 or

https://www.experian.com/ Phone: 1-888-397-3742 or

https://www.equifax.com Phone: 1-888-766-0008

Once you complete a fraud alert on one bureau, they will communicate that to the other two. I would also recommend getting the free credit monitoring the WDFW vendor is offering, but I think the fraud alert is much more important because it prevents fraudulent credit lines from being opened in your name. You can go back every 6 months and renew the alert if you want.

And now back to your regularly scheduled fishing...

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks PRM for sharing.