Canadian license?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Larry3215
Admiral

Canadian license?

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:49 am

Not sure where to put this..... I was listening to the Tom Nelson podcast last week and they were talking about launching in Sekiu and then crossing over into Canadian waters for coho and kings. Ive read many reports of guys also doing that for halibut, lings etc when our seasons are closed.

For some reason I was sure that a Canadian license cost in the $200 range but it turns out a 1, 3 or 5 day non-resident permit is in the $15 - $40 range including a salmon stamp.

My question is - do you need a passport or enhanced drivers license to fish in Canadian waters if you're NOT going to actually doc or land in Canada?

The procedure is, you get your Canadian license on-line, then call an 800 number when you get to the border and get a code of some sort. I cant find anything on-line that says for sure if you also need a passport.

Any one know?

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Re: Canadian license?

Post by 4n6fisher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:12 am

I would not think so since no one is checking your documents, but here is the Seattle times article, you might call Van Riper's. They do mention something about some other type of pass.
http://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoo ... -for-coho/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:05 am

You don't need anything to fish except a license. Unfortunately you will need to have them when you cross the border to purchase your license as for that area they are not available online. It's the gotcha to get you to cross the border and spend money. Sorry
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 am

Van Riper's disagrees,
“You can do everything on-line through their fisheries program to get the proper license and salmon endorsement stamp as well as an entry number,” said Glenn Teeter, the new owner of Van Riper’s Resort. “I’ve had people doing this since the king fishing shutdown (on Aug. 16), and it’s a really easy process.”
But I have no idea myself.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:28 am

You don't even need to go to Sekiu. They are also leaving from Port Angels and fishing over in Canadian waters with great results. It could be done out of Cornet Bay or Anacortes. Just need your Canadian license and make a call at the border for your code. :cheers:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:16 am

If you fish anywhere off the coast, where you may catch a Butt, be aware. From the Oceans Canada site:
"Electronic Licence Restriction : Halibut
Only a Canadian resident may fish for halibut under an electronic licence in Areas 23, 121 and 123. Non–residents of Canada wishing to fish for and retain halibut in Management Areas 121, 23 and 123 must purchase an electronic licence through a Canadian Independent Access Provider." AKA drive there and buy it from an agent.
The wording above has change in the last couple years with the addition of "for Halibut"
Be warned they are not shy about boarding, checking licences and writing tickets, they keep a very close eye on all US vessels. I have caught Halibut numerous times while Salmon fishing there, they are not shy about coming within a couple feet and watching and more. It only takes going over any of the lines by a couple feet. Last I heard they watch the boundary lines with a big land based radar so they're pretty darn sure if cross by more than a couple feet.
In my opinion if you are going to fish outside the Straits in Canada for any length of time, It's better to take the drive and purchase your licence (CN) from a brick and mortar agent, AKA "Canadian Independent Access Provider".
If you go all the way to Vancouver, it's a very metropolitan city and has great night life, clubs, shows, restaurants, museum I always enjoy my time there. Or you can just go across the border to White Rock or cross at Lynden or Sumas if you like the smell of cow......
If you want to gamble on Salmon only go for gusto.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

From the WDFW site ;General inquiries about Canadian fishing regulations and licensing
Call: 1-604-666-0384.

Better have an enhanced driver's license if you cross border as you could be boarded. Also it may prove you went to Canada. What if you are checked out by WDFW and you don't have the Canadian end product (whatever they need for fishing there) and without the enhanced DL they may not believe you went over the border...

DFO licensing contacts
For further licensing inquiries, please contact:

Phone (toll-free): 1-877-535-7307

Fax: 604-666-5855

E-mail: fishing-peche@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Salmon stamps
A Salmon Conservation Stamp ($6.00 + tax) must be affixed to licences held by anglers, both adult and juvenile, wishing to retain any species of Pacific salmon. The Stamp is annual.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/ ... x-eng.html
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I emailed the DOF people at the link posted above.

They will sell you licenses on-line no problem with the exceptions listed above for halibut fishing in certain areas. Looks to me likes the restricted areas are all outside the straights on the SW side of Vancouver Is.

Canadian DOF doesnt give a hoot if you have a passport or not. Not their problem and they dont care and wont ask - BUT.....

Technically a passport IS required for crossing the border to fish even if you dont "land" in Canada. Border Patrol or Canadian Coast Guard could ask for passports if you are boarded.

The Canadian site only lists Passports as acceptable documentation. No mention of Enhanced Drivers Licenses that I can see.

That said, most guys say they dont ask for passports when stopped....mostly....probably....

Im not going unless I get a Passport - which wont happen any time soon. I cant find my birth certificate and its a lot of trouble to get one.