cormorants

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

cormorants

Post by HULI_ISDA » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:02 am

Okay its that time of year again where like s of local anglers waiting for an opening day for fishing stock trout's on our local lakes. But for the Las 3 years I have notice of all the bird eating fish flying in, swimming swooping and finishing off the fish that are stock for us tax paying license buyer anglers. I dont know bout some of you but its annoying to me when I go to fish hoping for a quick relaxation to cast a lure for a couple of hour and have a fish on you line and before you land that fish and swooped this birds just took it before you even get a chance to grab that net. I have already heard reports of 100s of them in blacks mans lake. Seems like this birds are smart enough to know when they stock the lake and maybe just maybe followed the reports too? lol. Well, my question is if WDFW aware( its pretty obvious, you cant missed then on spring time) and are they go do anything about it? I know to think about it this is just stocked trout not Salmon. But still lots of people looking forward for the spring to open the fishing season, with family and kids. Trout's season is the best way to get a new angler hook to fishing. Just a though from an annoyed angler...peace...fish on...

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: cormorants

Post by JoshH » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:18 pm

I unfortunately don't see WDFW ever having the resources to try and do anything about it. The big problem though is that the freshly stocked fish are as dumb as rocks. All of their food at the hatchery comes from the surface, so they hang out there for some time waiting to be fed.... and instead they become the food. Don't know how they would be able to breed the dumb out of them.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: cormorants

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am

[quote="JoshH"]I unfortunately don't see WDFW ever having the resources to try and do anything about it. The big problem though is that the freshly stocked fish are as dumb as rocks. All of their food at the hatchery comes from the surface, so they hang out there for some time waiting to be fed.... and instead they become the food. Don't know how they would be able to breed the dumb out of them.[/quote

What?..........wait..........there must be a way to breed out the Steeew-pud.