Any amateur "Ham" radio operators on here?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Any amateur "Ham" radio operators on here?

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:06 am

I am kind of famous in my family for getting wild hairs on new hobbies all the time. I have currently been bitten by the bug of shortwave radios, and general ham radio sort of stuff. (Oh, that reminds me.. I have never finished the wooden boat I was building! )
I was wondering if anybody on here has any experience with either Shortwave listening or is a Ham operator, etc.

I started out with purchasing a 1946 Hallicrafters S-38 shortwave. It is in mint condition cosmetically, but I'm afraid that it probably needs some serious adjustments or cleaning internally, and the reception is awfully static. I have been able to listen to Radio Havana, but not a lot else. There is so much amazing cool stuff out there, Pirate radio broadcasts, propaganda broadcasting between N. and S. Korea, etc. DX'ing, etc.
If anyone is into this sort of thing, I'd be interested to hear about any Puget Sound amateur radio clubs that you may know of.
I ordered a new Tecsun PL-880 radio last night, and I'm even thinking about preparing to take the entry level Ham license.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Any amateur "Ham" radio operators on here?

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:30 pm

No surprise I used to listen and gab. When I started many, many moons ago, most of the chatter was Morse code. Then in to voice. If you have a short wave, make a big antenna, put it on the roof and work the dial. See if it's something you really want to do. 1st class operators license test used to be pretty grueling. First was the Morse code section then there's the theory and repair. Warm up the soldering iron and grab the manuals. It's been a long time (Late 70's) but I'm pretty sure you run into the same types, kind of like internet trolls on steroids. Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice people out there but for every one of them........ A lot of Fox news and to the right, way right.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Bodofish wrote:No surprise I used to listen and gab. When I started many, many moons ago, most of the chatter was Morse code. Then in to voice. If you have a short wave, make a big antenna, put it on the roof and work the dial. See if it's something you really want to do. 1st class operators license test used to be pretty grueling. First was the Morse code section then there's the theory and repair. Warm up the soldering iron and grab the manuals. It's been a long time (Late 70's) but I'm pretty sure you run into the same types, kind of like internet trolls on steroids. Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice people out there but for every one of them........ A lot of Fox news and to the right, way right.
Hahaha, I was pretty certain that you might pop up on this thread, Bodo.
Well, one change that has occurred was that in 2007 they took the morse code off the level 1 license. This is called the "Technician's" license. It is now 35 questions, multiple choice. From what I've read, it sounds pretty easy. I am intriqued by morse code though, and started following a little online training on that last night.
That is intetesting about the comparrison of internet trolls to some of the folks on the air. I don't know what I will find, but part of me almost finds it entertaining to listen to what is known as the "Preppers"--- basicly doomsday preppers who are buikding bunkers, collecting canned spam, etc. there is a lot of religious zealots broadcasting at night as well.
On the other hand, Joe Walsh is a huge Ham. Have no idea where his politics sit.

On that note... No disrespect meant to anybody who might be hoarding items in a bunker, or considers themselves a religious zealot. :salut: :salut:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm not really sure anyone would consider themselves a "religious zealots".
But you know who you are! [razz]

Anyways, it sounds a lot easier to grab a license now. I'd still put up that big antenna if you have the radio, then you can decide to listen or not. Sounds like you have the cast of players pretty well dialed. I used to chat with folks in Australia and South Africa. Kind of limited to English. My brother and I built a few Heath Kit radios for listening and we had a 100watt transmitter we bought surplus that we pumped signal through. Not really sure how legal it was....... Have fun and don't play with antennas during a storm.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!