Floating Jelly Balls???

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
AJ's Dad
Commodore

Floating Jelly Balls???

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:38 am

OK folks. I know there are some pretty smart people on this website, so I am going to give you the opportunity to answer a question I have had since I was a kid, and that’s been a long, long time.
Every year while I’m fishing, I see these goofy looking Jelly Balls. They are normally hanging on the branches of trees, downed in the water. I have also seen them attached to weeds. Yesterday we were fishing one of the chain lakes of the Coeurdalene system and they were everywhere. I scooped one up for a photo. The one I picked up was shaped like a pear, but there were many others in various shapes. Some as big as a basketball and maybe even bigger. My theory is that there were so many of them yesterday because they had been attached to weeds and the strong winds we were having had broken them away from the weeds. That said. Can anyone tell me exactly what they are???? Eggs of some kind? While in my hand I found them to be a little stiffer consistence than Jello and I could easily poke my finger into them. Once poked, they oozed a little water, or something, but did not pop like a water balloon. They just oozed.
In the photo, you can see a smaller one floating in the water behind the one I'm holding.
For many years I have seen these things and wondered what they are. Now, I have a chance to find out. If someone here knows what they are. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG_1248.jpg
Pear shaped Jelly Ball

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: Floating Jelly Balls???

Post by Onmygame » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:11 am

This is likely what you're looking at -

https://www.google.com/#q=bryozoans+freshwater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OnMyGame

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:45 am

Hey thanks. That looks like the same critters.

cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Post by cumminsbassguy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:48 pm

For a second I thought you were talking about the freshwater jelly fish we have here. I have seen the on newman lake. Really threw me for a loop