Winter Sports fans?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Winter Sports fans?

Post by A9 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:07 pm

Since we all love fishing, (and presumably the outdoors) how many of you all do any winter activities like skiing, boarding, snowmobiling???

Just trying to see if any of us share any other common hobbies beyond fishing...

I'll be heading out for the first time of the season to do some skiing up at Mt. Baker tomorrow, conditions look nice for a few new inches of pow, hopefully we get some good visibility and some good runs tomorrow...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Drewp
Commander

RE:Winter Sports fans?

Post by Drewp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:33 am

I like to play snowshoes. Same as horseshoes only in the snow with lots of liquor to keep you warm. I've also been on a super competitive Curling team for 5 years. And by that I mean I've never tried Curling in my life :geek:

Seriously though, I like snowbarding - i just wish it wasn't so expensive. I remember when a night pass at Stevens was lik 15 bucks. Those were the days.

And for the record, snowshoes is very fun.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:50 pm

snowboard winter, fish rest of the year.

wish snoqualmie would get a dump already, my pass needs to get used.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:24 pm

I ski. We've had passes for the last few years but due to some problems we are having I might not get one this year. I love skiing. I can actually do moguls without flipping and dying on my skis as opposed to snowboarding.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Just got back from Baker...First time up there and it's a long haul from home. 2.5 hours...It wasn't bad, only went there cause it's got a good snow pack, but other then that, short runs, no high speed quads, but NO lift lines on a wednesday and no one up there....Good, light snow, but I'm waiting for Crystal to get dumped on so I can do some backcountry skiing up there....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Does trying to maneuver through Spokane's poorly maintained winter streets count as a winter sport?:-"

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:11 pm

If Spokane folks drive as bad in the snow as they do over here in Seattle, then yes....

Seattle drivers really can't handle driving in snow for squat....It's pathetic....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Well over here, the city has discovered liquid street drool (deicer). It works pretty good down to about 25 degrees and then the slush that the drool has made starts turning to ice. So, instead of driving on compact snow, you drive on a lot of solid ice. Plus, the drool is very oily and gets on the windshield and smears like mad. Then in the spring, you get to scrub off the rust on your wheels and chrome.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:16 am

I love to snowmoblie but have not been out yet this season. As Mark pointed out, if you want to snowmobile without ever leaving your car, all you have to do is drive a side street in Spokane County with the window down and you get the same thrill
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Believe it or not, but I like winter camping with the Boy Scouts. My own sons always talk about their winter campouts more than their summer trips. One of my boys even celebrated a birthday while camping on the coast when our troop had the whole campground to ourselves due to heavy rain and 60+ mile-an-hour winds. That was about 10 years ago. What memories.

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:31 pm

I enjoy snowshoeing ( a burgeoning sport in this state.. huge increase in availability of trails and participation over the last decade or so... not sure that it will ever overtake snowmobiling but, if it does, then this bodes well for overall the overall physical health and well being our our citizens) and cross country skiing. Used to do a lot of downhill but as I got older it just started being too hard on my knees and I stopped.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:05 am

When not working at one of my two jobs this winter I plan on doing some nighttime snowboarding trips to Snoqualmie. I just hope my board survives another season- I've been riding the same board since '94. The toughest choice of the season is which equipment to buy more of/replace, fishing or snowboarding. I think the latter is going to win out this year since it'll be significantly cheaper.

Cav- I always think back to the times I have gone winter camping while in Boy Scouts as my favorites, or at the very least the most memorable. I remember going on a trip up to the Boundary Waters and cross country skiing across the lakes for a week. It was an odd season where the lakes didn't properly freeze so we were constantly battling slush build-up on our skis/sleds and unable to build quanset huts on the ice as planned (ended up just building thermals on the islands or burying our tents with snowpack.)

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:22 pm

I telemark ski a couple days a week thanks to my schedule.

Oh, and I plan on doing a little fishing recon. The lake that The Thumb and I both live on drops 14' during the winter (yes thats feet), so we are going to take the jet sled out and go look at structure!

E