Great new use for Seafoam!

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
AJ's Dad
Commodore

Great new use for Seafoam!

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:47 pm

I have spent about 10 hours over the last 4 days doing some spring cleaning on my boat. Thanks to it's 2 previous owners, my Skeeter looks much newer than it really is. The gell coat still shines very nicely, the uphoulstry is in nearly new shape and the carpets are still very nice. However, the rubber rub strip on the outside of the boat was really bringing the overall look of the boat down. It was covered with smudge and scuff marks from years of rubbing and banging against docks and other things. I tried a number of diffrent cleaners to no avail. They would just not come off. During my extensive cleaning project, I added some seafoam to my fuel and I thought, "I have used this stuff to loosten bolts, treat my fuel, de carb my engine, and remove grease in unwanted areas, so why not try it on these scuff marks"?
I applied a little seafoam to a mild abraisive pad. Similar to a warn out scotch brite pad the wife uses to do dishes. After a few strokes the scuff marks vanished. I wondered if they just soaked up the seafoam and would reappear once it has dried, but that was 3 days ago and they are still gone. I did the whole rub strip and it looks good as new. I suppose a cheaper produst like wd40 would do the same thing, but hey. I had the seafoam in hand and it worked.

Just thought I'd share my new found knowledge, in case someone else had the same problem.

Here's a before and after photo of one spot.
Attachments
AFTER.jpg
BEFORE.jpg

renpeg
Petty Officer

Re: Great new use for Seafoam!

Post by renpeg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:50 pm

naptha main ingredient in seafoam saves yourself money just use naptha.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:24 am

renpeg wrote:naptha main ingredient in seafoam saves yourself money just use naptha.
Yep, combined with the alcohol (why I won't put SeaFoam in my fuel) made a good cleaner. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:50 am

I am freaking trying this tonight!!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:18 am

I use seafoam as a fuel additive for my boat. It was recommended by marks marine. My boat definitely runs better when I use it.