what do you shoot at?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
drysuperfly52
Commander

what do you shoot at?

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

I got a new shotgun and rifle recently and brought some paper targets. After an hour or so i was bored out of my mind shooting the paper targets, so i went through my truck and i found some water bottles, those are fun to shoot since you get something after the hit. i know you can get clay pigeons but i am trying to avoid leaving a mess, you can always tell were someone was shooting there shotgun leaving casing then there is a was full of fluorescent pieces of clay which look bad.

it looks like i am headed to Costco to buy water bottles before shooting Saturday unless i can get some better suggestions.

Thanks
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: what do you shoot at?

Post by Amx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 am

Empty pop cans, you can still recycle with holes in them. [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 am

Bottles full of water, pumpkins, cantaloupes, apples, etc.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 am

In a word, ice.
No mess to clean up afterwards.
You can tint it with food coloring.
It's very inexpensive.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 am

thats a good idea about the ice i bet that explodes pretty good.

-AMX - thats what i like about the water bottles easy no stickyness and its all recyclable
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:51 pm

We got hold of a box of bowling pins at a thrift store once. Those are tough!! Used them for target practice for quite awhile. Just sprayed some paint on em each outing to see where the new damage was done.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Gq5J15Wzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think these will do the trick :-"

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Funny this was posted, I'll post a separate thread as to not hijack this one...but I've been wondering where I can go shoot beside going to a range. I hate paying range fees if I can avoid it.

Yes, paper targets can get boring....but the zombie paper targets keep things fun. For me at least....oh...and they also make zombie paper targets that bleed when you shoot them. [thumbup]

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Steel plate swinging targets. You get the ring for a little extra noise and they self reset for the next shot.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm

I don't shoot often, but when I do…it's at das elkies.

Stay trigger happy my friends.
The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World.jpg
The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World.jpg (99.86 KiB) Viewed 2772 times

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 am

My pleasure for shooting are rats with my 22's.I put a lil piece of bread with peanut butter that attracts the rats then plink plink.One rat down 20 billion to go.If you buy larger guns or rifles use them for the reason you have them. Its called hunting.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:07 pm

In ND we used to cut blocks of ice, sometimes pretty big, then stack 'em like a pyramid and open fire, collapsing them in different ways. Here we usually just freeze blocks, and for varmint practice, put cubes on top. Youngsters love 'em, and with high power pellet guns, they explode well. Like he said, they explode without cleanup, and there's never any doubt you hit the target, or didn't.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:54 am

I use Sheet metal targets that I then recycle. I work for a local manufacturer that has a large sheet metal shop. We punch different shapes in the steel and I get circle scraps, slap on some spray paint or not and set them up. No mess to leave and get to see something move and hear the ping.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:00 am

I have personally never shot the stuff but I know it's legal, and it looks like a ton of fun.
Tannerite targets can be purchased and shot for fun. Of course you would want to use a smaller dose or factory target. Smaller than the 20lbs these guys put in a 15' travel trailer before they shot it that is. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqomN9ghOQU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heres the Tannerite website. http://www.tannerite.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:35 pm

I like to test how good of a shot I am. I get small items and see how far I can shoot them at. I hit an egg the other day at 150 yards. Gonna try a quarter soon, once I get more bullets. [thumbup]

Oh, another thing is coyotes.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 pm

what do you shoot at?

Anything that moves, or doesn't.

:scratch:
Tom.

Interests: living

angry john
Petty Officer

Post by angry john » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:00 pm

I love reactive targets, so you can see where you hit. I also love the resetting wig wags. If you can find a local seen that uses silhouette then those are a great time. They need to be thick for 30 cal and at close range you can still bend the crap out of them due to the power.