Questions about camera tripod heads...

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Questions about camera tripod heads...

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:32 pm

Does anybody out there have a working knowledge of the different types of tripod heads that are available to mount on a tripod? As I look into it, there seems to be a variety of heads. They seem to allow for different types of angle adjustment.

I am new to this. At first I thought all tripods just allowed the camera to be stable, and then rotate in cw/ccw rotation, or up/down. I am realizing that there are many crazy opportunities of angles, depending on the "Tripod head"

1. Should any basic tripod allow you to attach various different heads?
2. What head would you go with for most versatile angle arrangements?
3. Is there a standardized threading size on the bolt that comes off the tripod. So all these heads are kind of universal in the the threading attachment? ( Or is that a big problem?)

This would be for a GoPro Hero 2. I have the add-on "Tripod" mount. A flat circular piece which attaches to tripods via threaded bolt. If anyone is using a GoPro with a tripod,send me a PM and we can go over it.
( I will use it for a DSLR down the road, so that is something to keep in mind)

Thx.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Questions about camera tripod heads...

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 pm

I don't know about various tripods and their heads, everyone I've bought has come with a head and I'm pretty sure the standard non commercial threads are 1/4-20. I know some of the really big boys have bigger bolt size but you probably won't see one unless you're in a specialty shop. I did buy one with a ball mount swivel like a ram mount, it was good as long as the cam was light.

I think Jonny uses mainly a stick with a mount and just straps it to what ever. Tripods can be knocked over pretty easy.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm

Bodofish wrote:I don't know about various tripods and their heads, everyone I've bought has come with a head and I'm pretty sure the standard non commercial threads are 1/4-20. I know some of the really big boys have bigger bolt size but you probably won't see one unless you're in a specialty shop. I did buy one with a ball mount swivel like a ram mount, it was good as long as the cam was light.

I think Jonny uses mainly a stick with a mount and just straps it to what ever. Tripods can be knocked over pretty easy.
Yes, I've seen the interesting one that attaches to the side of the boat, and gets interesting angles. I am setting something up for my son. He is into the whole film making process. Going to a film program in high school next year. I am adapting the GoPro to making films, i.e. external mic, lighting, etc. Therefor the tripod.
I have found a good Wikipedia page that kind of explained the differences. Just wondered if there was a camera junkie on here who really liked a certain style mount.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:57 pm

i have yet to run into a tripod that did not have a standard insert size..

this little gem is the most versitile piece i have in my collection and mounts on all my tripods and mondopods, it allows for almost any angle i need/want at the time.. right now its on my monopod rig that i use for shoving under water.. you know ;)
cheap, one screw to tighten it all and stay hella tight!

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Mini ... +ball+head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Bodofish wrote:
wait till you see my new steeze!!! aka, mount getup cool sh*t!! i still got the stick, multiple tripods and now the most awesome mount ever known in the history or mankind.. mounts to almost anything, any angle, anywhere, anytime... [thumbsup] [thumbup]

its true though, sarcasm aside, totally awesome!

(buzzed) :pirat:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:08 am

[razz] Dusting off the Red Boat this weekend.... I'm off Friday through Tues. How's that little shaver do'in? Big bro getting used to the idea of sharing?

OOPS Hijack!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

riverbound
Petty Officer

Post by riverbound » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:03 am

Definitely recommend getting a ball head. Way easier and more versatile! That link that oneshot shared looks perfect and a great value... Might have to pick up one of those for myself :) Thanks for sharing, Oneshot!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Bodofish wrote:[razz] Dusting off the Red Boat this weekend....

OOPS Hijack!!!!
[thumbsup]

i'd totally join you if i could swing it.. i think next week we'll try again.. today was a big skunk.. soon!

rerail.. yeah, pick up that ball head.. thing is a solid piece of good equipment!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:53 pm

I picked up a Sennheiser MKE 400 external mic, self powered, and a little Polaroid external light source. All which fits on a L- shape bracket thing,,; err, hot shoe mount? Perty cool.
Looking at some tripod heads learning a lot. There are heads designed for shooting video. Supple little arms that allow u to pan. "Supple". I made that -- up.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:42 am

Sounds like you're heading to the tapers lounge..... got a show in mind? [wink] Are you really going for Hi Fi fishing???? :)

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:06 am

Bodofish wrote:Sounds like you're heading to the tapers lounge..... got a show in mind? [wink] Are you really going for Hi Fi fishing???? :)
Although I am very familiar with the "Taper's lounge" lol, lots of boots in my collection...
This is more about getting my son dialed in to film school sort of stuff. He is really into the "Film industry" some kids read books, he reads and writes screenplays. Next year in high school he will be part of a film making program. I'm really excited for him, but the truth is, that it is great when your kids get into teenage years and have similar interests to oneself. This makes for sharing of the same toys!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 am

I know we chatted about this quad.. Its super cool to me that your son is in to it! Stoked to see where it goes.
similar story. We caught no fish yesterday and my son wanted to stay and keep trying.. Haha.. Similar interests are starting. :) we stayed two more hours.. Still no fish.. Both left happy..

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 am

Red is heading out at 5:00am , at this point we're headed for the Skagit, hope the weather report holds and it stops raining by then but I do have a top. :)

Chris, that's the coolest yet! I went to school for a drama degree, till I ran out of money.... It's not just an easy arts degree like some would have you believe, lots and lots of work and a lot more. Yeah.. ran out of money... at that point I was really thinking hard about if a drama degree and being an actor / director was for me..... I didn't like the whole being the starving artist thing and there's an awful lot of that in the entertainment industry as a whole. I really wanted to direct shorts and tv commercials but in the end my fat belly won out... Still love theater and acting and directing, a lot more work than anyone realizes unless you're into the industry. You end up doing a lot of work on spec, hoping you get paid or the show will make money. I know you're in for a lot of fun!