Elk in eastern wash.

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Mossy
Lieutenant

Elk in eastern wash.

Post by Mossy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:08 pm

So it's about 8pm the day before the last day of early archery and the places I've been in the past haven't produced, haven't seen anything! Just wondering if anyone has ran into any recently or has had any luck early season.

gpc
Admiral

RE:Elk in eastern wash.

Post by gpc » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 pm

well Im not really a hunter and the only thing that I have ever hunted has been water foul and upland birds. But I do know that cle elum and ellensburg is full of elk. This might be a little too far west for you, but any place where they have to build special fences to keep the the elk off the free way has got to be worth a shot. Good luck

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:22 am

I have two friends who work the night shift in the zinc mine in Metelline falls that report seeing several raghorn bulls regularly on their home at dawn. Both indepenantly said while trying to bow hunt them on there off days was nearly impossible with the woods being super dry and loud.

Normally I hear rumors of people getting early season elk south of Cheney and have not this year

parrydog
Petty Officer

Post by parrydog » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:50 pm

Unfortunately the areas I have hunted in years past haven't produced either. I grew up hunting the clockum area north of ellensburg and we ran into elk quite often and despite our lack of skill managed to get an odd elk occasionally. Recently they changed the rules there to spike only so we moved to the rimrock unit for the last two early seasons(cows and spikes). We haven't been real impressed with that area as of yet. It has been hot and dry for the last two early seasons which may be why the hunting was so poor. I live in Newport now and enjoy the abundance of game animals except elk. I have heard that Bigelow gulch has a fair amount of elk if you can get permission. I have seen some elk in the hills between Newport and Chewelah, but they are not nearly as plentiful as the Yakima and Ellensburg areas. Hit me back if you want to BS about elk hunting.