Carrying a gun while fishing?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
returnofthefish
Captain

Carrying a gun while fishing?

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:23 pm

I was wondering what everyones thoughts were? Do you prefer to open carry or concealed? I have been lucky enough not to be in a situation where one was needed, but getting a concealed weapons permit has been on my mind. We all have walked to our favorite fishing holes or rivers before the sun came up and danger could be lurking around the corner. Maybe they want ur Loomis rod, your iphone or your wallet and they might be armed. Or it could just be a predator type animal that wants to take a bite out of you. Have any members here have to reach for thier holster yet? Thanks for any opinions and no bashing please.

kzoo
Commodore

Re: Carrying a gun while fishing?

Post by kzoo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I don't carry one, but i'm leary at times. More worried about bears than people. I typically fish public areas, I don't feel threatened by people. Although I wouldn't mind having a gun when a tweeker is breaking my into my truck.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:26 am

I always carry. I have a concieled pistol license. When in the boat I usually place the pistol and holster on the seat, sometimes I'll put it in a compartment so they don't get wet when it's raining. When I go up to get the trailer I'll clip it back on my belt. The police have seen it and never said anything, they don't seem to mind. They even laughed when I said, "The jacket isn't long enough to cover it".
Tom.

Interests: living

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:26 am

Yup, I CC when fishing. I CC when doing most anything where allowed. I dont OC much, but do more when its warmer out.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:11 am

the further away from the city I go the more I am packing heat.. so stay away from me and my secret fishin hole! [cursing] [cool] [laugh] :ncool:

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:13 am

If you've got one and you've got a permit, it's entirely reasonable to bring it along. I've run into bears, bity dogs, and people with knives. Sometimes if you're way out you here that cougar scream less than a mile away and you're really gonna wish you brought something with a large caliber. When someones jacking your @$(# through a busted window you're gonna want to have something to keep your 22,00 dollars worth of accumulated gear. Just don't shoot anyone unless you're lawfully allowed to do so, because there are no rivers in jail, and in washington even police officers lose there job and get sued for protecting themselves.

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Returnofthefish,

Look at your weapon as a tool. Just like the knife or Leatherman you carry. It's meant to do a number of things and not only to kill. You have that many more options at your disposal when you have it than when you don't. I don't really feel up to giving this what it needs for a response, but don't hesitate to move forward with a CPL and practicing at the range, and practicing scenarios in your mind. Open carry is cool, too, but be prepared for contact by LE in more populated areas due to they getting a call by a concerned citizen that's freaked by the sight of the thing.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:50 pm

started carrying this year, mainly on my Alpine Lakes hikes. One trip I ran into a group of six hikers. They saw my gun, saw my WL.com patch on my shirt, and asked if I was surveying the lakes, as in they figured I was some type of official government-type person. Which was pretty funny.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Did you tell them that you are the "Supreme Overlord"? [laugh]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:09 am

Marc Martyn wrote:Did you tell them that you are the "Supreme Overlord"? [laugh]
I was out of my jurisdiction. :sunny:

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:19 am

I like the element of surprise.. its always concealed.. more so I carry in the winter up in the high mountains for a few different reasons.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Mike Carey wrote:started carrying this year, mainly on my Alpine Lakes hikes. One trip I ran into a group of six hikers. They saw my gun, saw my WL.com patch on my shirt, and asked if I was surveying the lakes, as in they figured I was some type of official government-type person. Which was pretty funny.
LOL... now that, is pretty funny. [thumbsup] And I've met you Mike. You quite a laid back person, and not what I would think of as a gun totin' beurocratt. You should have milked the moment.. " Ah... ya, and while were here on the trail I wanna see all of your licenses please"

MrJohn
Petty Officer

Post by MrJohn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm

The closer I get to the city, the more likely I am to carry.

But there's plenty of creeps out here in the boonies too.
I should carry more than I do but really hope to never have to do anything more than scare someone/thing

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm not a paranoid person when it comes to my safety and have never had an experience where I've felt that I would need/use a gun IF I had one, therefore I do not have a CWP or handgun.

However, there are some areas around here that IF I spent time fishing them, I would get a Concealed Weapons Permit and carry religiously. Most notable are some of the river systems, particularly the upper reaches out in the sticks; the upper Skykomish comes to mind. I'm not a river guy and have fished it twice in my life. Once near the Wallace and once near Lewis and Sultan, and both times I've witnessed shady stuff and have been felt uncomfortable.

I hear too many stories of sportsman running into tweakers or meth labs or getting their rigs broken in, it's only a matter of time before something worse happens and a fisherman walks into the wrong place/wrong time scenario and makes the news. If I were to become an avid river angler or backpacking camper/hiker, I would definitely pack.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:40 am

Its not alwayse the people.

Sammamish River Trail between Redmond and Woodinville - Coyote Pack
Woodinville Tourist Dist - HUGE Bobcat
Lake Stevens area - 2 cougar attacks against dogs on their own property in the last year, 1 fatal

Bears in the U Dist....
If you walk a little dog in Magnolia, you have coyotes watching you. West Hylebos Wetlands Park in Federal Way has a coyote pack living there that stalks walkers.
Remember all the reports of aggressive racoons in Olympia over the last few years?
Having a heart attack and cant yell - call for help... 3 shots will get someones attention.
Get lost while looking for that secret lake way out in the woods that you hear people on the forum talk about, protection and food.
Crime deterant. Most violent crime happens in and around town, not way out in the bushes where your likly to find one of us.

Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland 3 pits attack a dude and his dog (he had his CCW and a gun... and stopped the attack)

Rivercamp72 had a very good point, Its A Tool. It has more than 1 use. Killing people shouldnt be the first one everybody thinks of. Its all up to its user.

A9, I have never encountered a situation that required the use of a gun to protect myself or others, and I hope I never do. Never had my home broken into (locks jimmied once tho, dog scared them off) and car only once while parked in front of my appartment in Renton (years ago). I live in a nice, low crime, area and I work in a nice, lower crime, area. I almost never see a tweeker type person or other miscreant that bears watching. I still carry daily though. Its just one of those things.
Last edited by Rich McVey on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 am

oneshot wrote:the further away from the city I go the more I am packing heat.. so stay away from me and my secret fishin hole! [cursing] [cool] [laugh] :ncool:
if I ever see a guy fishing with a viking hat, im staying away. thanks for the tip one shot

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:20 am

exactly rich m, its not just for shooting people. Thats why I mentioned predatory animals. As long as the user is responsible, than its just added protection.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 am

Besides... what else are ya gonna use to pop the tops on your beers if ya forget y'r bottle opener..? #-o

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:27 am

returnofthefish wrote:
oneshot wrote:the further away from the city I go the more I am packing heat.. so stay away from me and my secret fishin hole! [cursing] [cool] [laugh] :ncool:
if I ever see a guy fishing with a viking hat, im staying away. thanks for the tip one shot
stay outta my fishing hole! [woot]

mostly i carry for protection in the event of wild crazy animals that might see me as dinner. pulling a gun on a person would take some serious effort on their behalf, i would have to feel like my life was in danger and i couldn't handle it with a couple sharp hooks and a dead humpy upside the head.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:07 pm

oneshot wrote:
returnofthefish wrote:
stay outta my fishing hole! [woot]

mostly i carry for protection in the event of wild crazy animals that might see me as dinner. pulling a gun on a person would take some serious effort on their behalf, i would have to feel like my life was in danger and i couldn't handle it with a couple sharp hooks and a dead humpy upside the head.
"dead humpy on the side of the head - is that assault with a dead weapon?