Losing everything?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Mblake
Petty Officer

Losing everything?

Post by Mblake » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:02 am

Hello people, this thread is dedicated to those of us with bad luck. I'm not talking getting skunked one day at the lake, nay nay. I'm talkin you just walked outside to pick up your S.O. from work to find the car has been stolen and all of your fishing stuff is still in the back. Yup just happened to me, so l'm not too pleased at the prospect of having to replace all of my fishing gear. The car was insured so that will be replaced no problem, but not the 100+ CD's, my childs' car seat, or my new fishing stuff that I've only had for about a week.

So anyone else have some stories about losing all of your gear? Boat sinking? Anything?

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

RE:Losing everything?

Post by felts_jf » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:51 am

No But if you have renters insurance it should all be covered, I would talk with your insurance company about that.
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:47 am

my brothers and i used a huge innertube with a half sheet of plywood strapped to it to swim and fish from, made the mistake of taking one of them out on quincy slew to fish for crappie with it, also made the mistake of bringing my full tackle box and had it open. for some reason my brother decided to go for a swim, well as soon as he went in everything including myself flipped into the water out in the middle all i found was my tackle box minus 99% of its contents and a fovorite pole. crappies 1, fishermen 0, plus my brother got a good noogie from me. #-o #-o

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:13 pm

When my wife and I were just starting out and were dirt poor, someone broke into our storage shed and stole all my rods, reels, and my trolling motor I used on my Grandpa's boat. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I know how you feel.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:05 pm

I have only lost a significant amount of fishing gear once before. My brother and I were floating from the highway 2 bridge over the Wallace River down to the boat launch at Sultan in our pontoon boats fishing for salmon and steelhead. I had a few to many to drink and took off my fishing vest when we took a break on a gravel island just down river from where the Wallace River flows into the Skykomish River. Needless to say when it was time to push off again I forgot to put my tackle vest back on and left it on the island for some other lucky angler to find or a flood to wash it away. I didn't realize my idiotic mistake until we arrived at the Sultan launch, which by then it was obviously to late to get my gear back because without a motor it would have been impossible. All said and done I lost what I estimated to be around $250 worth of tackle including gear I didn't even need on this trip like all of my buzz bombs but happened to have in my vest anyway. I lost this vest about roughly 2 years ago so if you found it let me know.

Mblake
Petty Officer

Post by Mblake » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:18 pm

Well we don't have renters insurance for our apartment, sounds like we should get it since this is obviously a bad neighborhood. Sorry to hear about all of the other losses you guys have had. I ended up finally getting my tax refund check so I have the rod + reel and tackle, I was going to use the check for a inflateable u-boat I had my eye on. Still no word on the car, most likely in peices aleady.

Tmusky1 - Sounds like it must have been a neighbor or someone that knew what you had in the shed, don't think fishing equipment is all that pawnable.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 pm

yeah renters insurance is damn near a must these days and its usually VERY affordable, I think we pay like $30/yr or something like that.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Do you have comprehensive coverage with your auto insurance? If so, check with your ins co. to see what the coverage limits are for personal effects stolen with the car, they should be covered. ;-)
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm

Mblake wrote:Hello people, this thread is dedicated to those of us with bad luck. I'm not talking getting skunked one day at the lake, nay nay. I'm talkin you just walked outside to pick up your S.O. from work to find the car has been stolen and all of your fishing stuff is still in the back. Yup just happened to me, so l'm not too pleased at the prospect of having to replace all of my fishing gear. The car was insured so that will be replaced no problem, but not the 100+ CD's, my childs' car seat, or my new fishing stuff that I've only had for about a week.

So anyone else have some stories about losing all of your gear? Boat sinking? Anything?

It happend to me last year my storage unit was broken into. They took almost all of my gear about the only thing that I didn't loose was the boat it self. A 50lb thrust tolling motor, 3 lamiglass rod, a couple of other rods, My trout and bass boxes, my hedge trimer and who knows what else were all missing. Apperantly there was a second storage complex hit that week end and the police caught someone with a u-haul full of stolen stuff. The city police served a search warrent on the u-haul van but did not find my stuff. One of the officers even came out and took prints at my unit. The finger printing did nothing but make a black dusty mess of every thing. I think he only got two prints and they were pretty bad and were probrably mine. I never heard back. My guess is there were a couple of guys with more than one u-haul and the police ony caught one of them. Well I learned my lesson renters insurance is cheap mines $161.00 a year. I also get a discount on my auto insurance for having a renters policy.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:35 am

If you're still alive you are a long ways from having lost everything.

When I was younger I went on many outdoor excursions (some of the "three hour tour" category) where my own stupidity got me into serious life threatening situations. And there are always a few who don't make it home from their outdoor adventure in this state every year. In fact, just last year a casual aquaintance of my wife lost her life while repelling down some mountain somewhere.

I'm older and wiser now and I've learned not to do stupid things but losing a vehicle or my fishing gear isn't a big problem when viewed from this perspective. Just think of a recent news story out of New Jersey. 4 teenage friends were playing on the grounds of their public school and they end up being executed gangland style because they happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Fortunately one survived and put the finger on the perps, but losing your vehicle and your fishing gear is a minor inconvenience compared to what these 4 went through.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:45 am

Sorry to hear that! I am going through a round of bad luck myself, but it was painful to read of your loss. I am so protective of my good gear that I don't leave it in the car even for one minute. I took my son fishing last night and afterward we went to mcdonalds. I had two of my best rigs with me and rest assured they came with me into the restaurant.

I do have two rods that I do keep in the car on occassion, but they are of a value that if they did get stolen, the pain of their loss would be fair bearable. A cheap $15 rapala spinning rod and a Shimano clarus casting rod.

I wish you a speedy recovery on refurnishing your arsenal with new gear and vehicle. Not sure where you live, but I believe this is the weekend Sportco and OE are having their annual tent deals. Good luck.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:12 pm

THAT SUCKS!!! I sure hope whoever took it aren't fishermen...That's BAAAAD carma

Sorry to hear that bro.
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:33 am

Yeah, I lost all my fishing stuff 11 years ago when my old station wagon was stolen. Never recovered a thing, car has never even been found. There are some lures in my boxes that are irreplaceable. However, over the last decade, I have accumulated quite a replacement. My rods and reels are definitely higher quality than I had back then. I replaced my lures that I use and have not refilled the ones that cluttered and took up space. I would still give $5000 to get my old gear back, but what I have now is better,

Another big loss was back in '91 when someone stole my 12' jonboat and the cops just took a report over the phone without any follow up. Must have been getting ready to toss the day olds at Dunkin' Donuts.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.