One more day till Turkeys!

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Dustin07
Commodore

One more day till Turkeys!

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Turkey season tomorry, anyone going out? I'm headed up to Cle Elum with a buddy for a couple nights. :bounce:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:One more day till Turkeys!

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Kentucky Fried? Heck there is one of those just 10 minutes away. Open year around too. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... drool5.gif]r[/img] [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]a[/img]
Last edited by Amx on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 pm

LOL I don't 100% know why I'm going, except an excuse to get out of the office, and killing a turkey is I suppose on my bucket list. I've been out turkey hunting a couple times, but I ALWAYS miss the spring season because of work. It's hard for me to justify 15hrs of roundtrip driving to Colville too... :( where turkeys are EVERYWHERE>

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm heading to Northport the 22nd for a try at some turkey. Archery style.
Lee

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:31 pm

sweet! My brother took a turkey with a bow last time we went out. It was kinda funny. we had scouted out a farm and asked the lady if we could bow hunt turkeys there. Her reply was "if you think you can shoot a turkey with a bow and arrow, you go ahead and try" so while I was sitting there talking to her (and giving her fresh Puyallup river salmon for allowing us to hunt her land) my brother grabbed his stuff and went out to field. he came back with a turkey with an arrow through it before we were even done talking lol.

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:18 pm

I dont know much about hunting so I dont know if the whole state is open, but the 5 or so times I have went to the grande ronde this year I have seen turkey on the side of the road 3 times, on wednesday I saw 7 turkey in an open field that had the green sign that says feel free to hunt...

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm

I keep thinking I should try hunting again. At the very least it would help me get back into shape.
Tom.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Amx wrote:I keep thinking I should try hunting again. At the very least it would help me get back into shape.
Ha Ha back into shape[lol] I hunt on a regular basis but never hunted turkeys up here. Used to down home. Over the last couple of years where I hunt deer and elk outside ellensberg I`ve started seeing them a few more every year. Used to not see any up 3 or 4 years ago. All kidding aside AMX it does get you in shape. When I go hunting and start up and down canyons oh boy do I feel it.
Last edited by rjn cajun on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Like when I use to go dog sledding. I could trot along for miles. And that was in the snow.
Attachments
The_Sled_Team_smaller.jpg
The_Sled_Team_smaller.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Tom.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:46 am

ingihuswick@hotmail.com wrote:I dont know much about hunting so I dont know if the whole state is open, but the 5 or so times I have went to the grande ronde this year I have seen turkey on the side of the road 3 times, on wednesday I saw 7 turkey in an open field that had the green sign that says feel free to hunt...

That's spokane area? depending on the GMU I think you can take two turkeys over there. I'm working Cle Elum and we can take 1 here. Gotta find him first though. :batman:

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:17 am

what are you all using for turkey shot guns bows rifles ?
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:47 am

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:07 pm

WELL ?

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I have shot 3 gobblers to date, and they are excellent table fare! Making my mouth water now. They are a very hearty bird and not too gamy at all, they have blown up in this state. My folks have property over in Colville and I try to get over and hunt birds and deer in the fall on the North Half.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 am

I'm going this weekend. I use an old Ithica model 37 12 ga pump that puts the toms away just fine. It shoots the 2-3/4" loads which my shoulder doesn't mind the recoil of. I shot a couple birds last year with a friends Benelli that was loaded with 3-1/2" loads. Way too much recoil for my old bones! It sure could reach out a long distance and put the toms down quick. I also have bow hunted for them. Missed 3 last year that were a bit out of my range but have got a few with the bow in previous years.
I've always found the birds that feed predominantly around the farmers fields taste a lot better than the birds that make a living scratching in the woods.
Life's short - fish hard!