Smoker Parts & modification advice needed

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Gringo Pescador

Smoker Parts & modification advice needed

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:48 am

I've got a Great Mountain Gas Smoker. My wife bought it for me from Walmart a couple years ago.:cheers: Of course now they no longer carry them.#-o

There are a couple of things I am looking for..

It has slots for 4 racks but only came with three, I would like to find a 4th rack (12x18").

I also have a hard time keeping the temp as low as I would like, I have only smoked in the winter and even then I have to open the 1 top vent and crack the door to get the temp down. I would like to either get a smaller burner for it or add vents to the top.

Does anyone have any recommendations, experience in this type of modification, or know where I could go to find parts?

I would like to smoke up a batch of steelhead, but am holding off because I know it will be near impossible to keep the heat down.:-({|=
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

dilbert
Captain

RE:Smoker Parts & modification advice needed

Post by dilbert » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 am

GOSM is now Landmann ([url=http://www.landmann-usa.com)]http://www.landmann-usa.com)[/url], you may be able to contact them for parts.

For getting the temp lower you could replace the regulator with one that has a needle valve on the regulator body. Something like this, but make sure the connection matches up with your current burner.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:51 am

There is a guy in the Woodenville area that sells Traeger and Traeger parts. Maybe some parts are interchangable. I really dont know for sure. He seemed very knowledgable about smokers in general.He also sells Traeger pellets at the best price around. PM me ifin you want his info.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:51 pm

racfish wrote:There is a guy in the Woodenville area that sells Traeger and Traeger parts. Maybe some parts are interchangable. I really dont know for sure. He seemed very knowledgable about smokers in general.He also sells Traeger pellets at the best price around. PM me ifin you want his info.
treager pellets:cheers: :cheers: :compress: :compress: :chef: :chef:
fish on!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:05 pm

dilbert wrote:GOSM is now Landmann ([url=http://www.landmann-usa.com)]http://www.landmann-usa.com)[/url], you may be able to contact them for parts.

For getting the temp lower you could replace the regulator with one that has a needle valve on the regulator body. Something like this, but make sure the connection matches up with your current burner.
Thanks, sent them an email to see if I can get the rack from them. I will have to take my burner apart and see what type it is. I would much rather adjust the burner than put a bunch of extra vents in it.

Racfish - I am guessing the racks are a pretty standard size, I will see if I can find the Traeger guy and see what I can find out!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:52 pm

The Brinkman electric I bought last year operates above 200F. It's very convenient, holds a lot and cleans up easily but I'd like to try cold smoking.

My wife reminded me the her father's smoker was an old refrigerator with a waffle iron in the bottom. I'm think of getting a waffle iron with temp control and putting in the Brinkman. I'll follow up if it works.