Colton Harris Moore.......... captured

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Colton Harris Moore.......... captured

Post by tommytitan08 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:20 am

From Kirotv.com

NASSAU, Bahamas -- Bahamian police captured a teenage fugitive Sunday, bringing to an end the "Barefoot Bandit's" two-year flight from U.S. justice, a senior police official said.

Colton Harris-Moore was arrested before dawn on northern Eleuthera island, the police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case. He said the suspect would soon be flown to Nassau, the capital, where the Royal Bahamas Police Force would be holding a news conference.

Island police have been searching for him since he allegedly crash-landed a stolen plane a week ago on nearby Great Abaco Island.
Harris-Moore, who has been running from American law enforcement since escaping from a Washington state halfway house in 2008, gained fame and thousands of fans who admired his ability to evade arrest.

He is suspected of stealing cars, boats and at least five planes -- including the aircraft he allegedly stole in Indiana and flew to the islands off Florida's coast, despite a lack of formal flight training.

The 19-year-old is a skilled outdoorsman who honed his abilities growing up in the woods of Camano Island.

Island police picked up his trail in Eleuthera after recovering a 44-foot power boat stolen from a marina on Abaco, 40 miles to the north, where he was suspected in a string of burglaries.

Burglary victims in Eleuthera told The Associated Press on Saturday they had little doubt the lanky, 6-foot, 5-inch (1.9-meter) fugitive was on the island.

Ferry boat captain Freddie Grant said he was returning from Harbour Island in northern Eleuthera on Wednesday evening when he saw a tall, white teenager bathing or swimming in an inlet near the ferry landing.

Ferry service employee Stan Pennerman also said he saw Harris-Moore lurking in the woods the same day.

Neither man thought much of it until they noticed the next morning that somebody had damaged the ignition system on three of their boats.

A bar at the ferry landing was also burglarized Wednesday night by a thief who cut a screen to break in, dismantled a security light, and moved the television's remote controls, said Denaldo Bain, the 30-year-old manager of Coakley's International Sporting Lounge.

"He was watching television. He was just chilling," said Bain, who also said he saw the teenager in the inlet.

Harris-Moore had a troubled childhood. His first conviction, for possession of stolen property, came at age 12. Within a few months of turning 13, he had three more.

He was sentenced to nearly four years in juvenile detention after being caught in an unoccupied home in 2007, but he did well enough there that he was transferred to a group home, where he sneaked out of a window more than two years ago.

He was dubbed the "Barefoot Bandit" for allegedly going shoeless during some crimes and once allegedly leaving behind chalk footprints as a calling card.

He has become a folk hero to supporters, who have bought "Run, Colton, Run" T-shirts and written songs about his exploits. He has tens of thousands of followers on Facebook
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Colton Harris Moore.......... captured

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:34 am

Image:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 am

Amx wrote:Image:cheers:
ditto. this guy needs some serious jailtime and to get his head screwed on straight. Behaviors like his have a way of escalating and getting dangerous.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:13 am

It is too bad that a young man with his talents couldn't have directed his skills in a more positive direction. I am glad however, that he was captured without anyone getting hurt.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:24 am

What a schmuck. It's a shame he didn't run across someone who aggressively defended their property. Now we will most likely be subjected to a movie that will portray him as a folk hero.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:53 am

Glad they got the turd. This kid gets a large fan following and media hype. He's just a punk.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:59 am

Call him what you will, he's a product of his environment. He learned to survive. How would any of you done if you were abandoned by your folks at twelve and left to fend for yourselves. Living in the woods and stealing what you needed to survive. That is what I would call a feral child or adolescent. Not a justification for his deeds by any means. Hardened criminal...... I think not. Survivalist? Absolutely.
That fact that he made it off Camano doesn’t speak to highly of those trying to catch him.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Bodofish wrote:Call him what you will, he's a product of his environment. He learned to survive. How would any of you done if you were abandoned by your folks at twelve and left to fend for yourselves. Living in the woods and stealing what you needed to survive. That is what I would call a feral child or adolescent. Not a justification for his deeds by any means. Hardened criminal...... I think not. Survivalist? Absolutely.
That fact that he made it off Camano doesn’t speak to highly of those trying to catch him.
Wow Bodo... Your comments are legitimately concerning to me. You seem to respect this kid?

Product of the environment? Don't agree there. Theres no excuse to go around breaking and stealing stuff. It may be comical/entertaining for you, but imagine if it was your boat he stole...

Stealing to survive? Wrong there. He's a punk and has stolen a lot more than food and water. Planes? Boats? Not needed to survive but this kid has made a habit of taking them and crashing them.

Criminal? Of course. Like I said, you'd think different if it was your stuff he stole.

Survivalist? I wouldn't call his crime/antics anything near survival skills.....

Lock him up for a while. Hope he holds on to the soap tight...
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:59 pm

OK. So lets see what the judicial system will do with this kid. If he gets a reasonably light sentence, well I would bank on him going right back to his old tricks. He's young enough that if he gets less than 10 years, he won't be able to walk away from all the hype that the media and those that love to cheer him on bring. The temptation will be too much. Lock him up in walla walla where the big boys play. He needs to be forgotten and some good ol quality time behind bars.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Bob Johansen wrote:It is too bad that a young man with his talents couldn't have directed his skills in a more positive direction. I am glad however, that he was captured without anyone getting hurt.
he should be a repo man when hes out of prison. then he can pay for all of the damage boats, planes and other private property.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Bob Johansen wrote:It is too bad that a young man with his talents couldn't have directed his skills in a more positive direction. I am glad however, that he was captured without anyone getting hurt.
I agree 100%. He is a criminal and deserves every second of prison time he gets, but it is a shame that a kid smart enough (and yes, he is smart. If you can't see that, you are thinking with with your emotions not your brain) to teach himself to fly, steal planes, elude capture and stay alive with so many people hutining could not have found a more productive use of his talents. His mom sounds like a piece of work and it all started there. She still defends his behavior. It doesn't excuse his behavior but it sure explains it. I truly hope anyone advocating that he should have been killed or deserves to be raped in prison is just kidding.

jimmy29s
Petty Officer

Post by jimmy29s » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:30 pm

yeah i glad they got him but iam kinda suprise he stole planes and dident get a f-18 or somthing on his tail they were mostly small planes wheres homeland security they chould of took his punk ass out with the first plane i guess its becuse he came from a rich area they just don't bother but owell lets get back to fishing

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:48 pm

A9 wrote:
Bodofish wrote:Call him what you will, he's a product of his environment. He learned to survive. How would any of you done if you were abandoned by your folks at twelve and left to fend for yourselves. Living in the woods and stealing what you needed to survive. That is what I would call a feral child or adolescent. Not a justification for his deeds by any means. Hardened criminal...... I think not. Survivalist? Absolutely.
Wow Bodo... Your comments are legitimately concerning to me. You seem to respect this kid?

Product of the environment? Don't agree there. Theres no excuse to go around breaking and stealing stuff. It may be comical/entertaining for you, but imagine if it was your boat he stole...

Stealing to survive? Wrong there. He's a punk and has stolen a lot more than food and water. Planes? Boats? Not needed to survive but this kid has made a habit of taking them and crashing them.

Criminal? Of course. Like I said, you'd think different if it was your stuff he stole.

Survivalist? I wouldn't call his crime/antics anything near survival skills.....

Lock him up for a while. Hope he holds on to the soap tight...
Why should my comments concerning to you? Are you concerned that my lack of condemnation may inspire others to do the same?
I don't condone or respect him in any manner.
If you were put in his shoes I'd bet the outcome would be the same.
He started out breaking into houses to get food and clothes because he had no parents to feed and clothe and teach him.
Regardless of the vehicle, stealing them became survival. Granted he wasn't too good at landing a plane. But he was fleeing those who try to capture him. A very learned response when your survival depends on it.
Criminal for doing the things he's done? Yes. A "Hardened Criminal"? No. Has he hurt anyone? No, he's surviving.
If you really want to point your anger at someone a good place to start would be his mother. She kicked his rear out of her house because she was tired of taking care of him. She wanted nothing to do with him until he gained notoriety. Now she’s secured the rights to any books movies ect for his story. I'm not entirely sure how she did it as he's no longer a minor. None the less, the biggest factor in his story and behavior stands to make millions off him.
How’s that for justice?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:58 pm

I heard the good news on the radio at about 8:20 this morning on my way home from my cardio workout. Later this afternoon the news media reported that he was armed with a pistol when they arrested him. It was also reported that they fired shots at his boat motor during the pursuit.

I’m not sure if he’s hardened but he is definitely a criminal and a felon. I agree with you G-Man. He is definitely lucky he didn’t enter a residence occupied by an armed home owner.

Because he will likely face felony charges in several States, not to mention the thefts of aircraft which I believe are federal crimes, and his felony crimes in the Bahamas, I believe there is a good chance he will receive many many years in prison, not just here in WA but in the other States where he committed felony crimes, and in the Bahamas. Once he completes his sentence in one location, Its my guess that he would likely be transferred to another to start his sentence there and so on and so on. Have a nice life!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:21 pm

I'm sure he'll stand trial and be convicted in many places. Serve the sentences too. That's what happens when you break the law. It's just a shame that because no one took care of him in his early life we will get to take care of him the rest of his life. At a cost per year more than most of the poeple on this forum make. And then there's the one that sent him down this path looking at making millions on his story. Not right. Any money made from the story should go for restitution and incarceration.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Bodofish wrote: Any money made from the story should go for restitution and incarceration.
Absolutely.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 pm

I am just shocked by how such a young person can pull all of this off. destroying property, damaging the ignition system on three boats, stealing boats, PLANES! He managed to get to the bahamas! Just so shocking what a persons childhood can do to somebody.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:00 pm

He learned to fly with MS Flight Sim. The boats??? Well documented on the internet and easy to jack.... the bigger the easier. Many don't even require a key.

Iamfishing
Petty Officer

Post by Iamfishing » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:55 am

i was hoping that he would not get caught,but at the same time its a good thing he was.i hope they make a movie about this kid for real

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:48 am

He'll probably escape again. Its like this whole thing has been set up by his family. They will cash in big time on this young idiots crime rampage. After serving 1-3 years max,he'll come out very wealthy.It just shows how greedy our society is becomming.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.