Why is bass fishing so popular

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
tnj8222
Admiral

RE:Why is bass fishing so popular

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 pm

wolverine wrote: Eat those stinking ditch pickles? No way. They do make good fertilizer for my roses.
That's got to be illegal.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:18 am

Why is the sky blue?
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:31 am

tnj8222 wrote:
wolverine wrote: Eat those stinking ditch pickles? No way. They do make good fertilizer for my roses.
I'd be willing to bet money it's legal. Fish are great fertilizer!
Lee

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:19 am

bionic_one wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:
due to Washington State wastage laws of a game fish... I can guarantee that it is illegal to do something like that! if you keep fish... gotta eat 'em.. Washington State law says so....
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

Thats why I C&R my bass. They fight good, taste.. eh.. not worth it. I dont eat much fish and when I do its usually a salt water variety.

Not that I bass much, I hunt for bigger fish most of the time.

Its for the fun of it.
For the chase.
For the quiet afternoons on the water, away from my PC.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:54 am

Jordan wrote:
bionic_one wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:That's got to be illegal.
due to Washington State wastage laws of a game fish... I can guarantee that it is illegal to do something like that! if you keep fish... gotta eat 'em.. Washington State law says so....

That's the only thing I could find on it. I don't you could a $20 price tag on bass meat. Is there anything else out there? It doesn't really explain what "waste" is, other than in the 2009 reg is says cutting fins off and throwing a fish back is waste.
Lee

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:57 pm

lol thats a silly law... one of those laws that can't be enforced.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 pm

To bury a fish and waiting for it to be benneficial in gardening would take some great legnths of time.Plus every racoon and critter would be in your backyard.Plus the funk would be way worse then most folks could stand to be around.I know I tried it with all my catfish and perch guts and skins.I tried eating bass while out camping and they arent the greatest and most delectable to eat.Perch and crappie are way better. Bass are fun to catch though.I dont mind throwing them back in . In most lakes that have docks I dont eat the fish anyways.Too much creosote and mercury in them logs.

With all fishings its the hunt that makes it fun. Knowing you can go anywhere and catch a fish is great.Whether its reading a river or a pond.The thrill is the HUNT.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:21 am

I can't look at wdfw regs on my phone, but I will look it up when I get home. I'm positive it say you have to eat your catch.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:38 am

For those of you that fish but don't keep them I have a question.
Why not target a none gamefish for sport.
Carp for example, they fight harder than a Bass and they get much bigger.
There are plenty of them and if you kill one or two who cares.
It would be helpful to our fisheries to thin them out.
You would be doing a good thing.
Some folks concider the lowly Carp as a fresh water bone fish and across the big pond they are the number one sport fish.
IMHO, Gamefish are for eating and the rest should be conciderd for sport.
I am not trying to start a war here. I am just trying to understand the reasoning.

By the way, it is unlawful to waist gamefish in Washington.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 am

Carp are fun to catch.I eat the eggs from carp. The carp meat itself is ehhh? I've used it in some Russian recipes from my maternal grandmother. If prepared properly everything can taste pretty good.
I think we all have different reasons why we fish.I know some folks who go out and catch 2 steelies a day just to freeze them for later. Or I used to fish with a guy who would catch hundreds of Sea Bass and freeze them.Too me thats a totall waste. We all see something different and get our own pleasures from fishing.To you carp is a lowly fish while to me they are a delicasy.I do agree with some of what you say though. Ive never been a real big fan of C&R steel or salmon.Why jeporadize their survival rate? But like I say we all get our own thrills with fishing.As long as what you are doing is legal then its really nobodies elses business.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:32 am

YellowBear wrote: For those of you that fish but don't keep them I have a question.
Why not target a none gamefish for sport.
Carp for example, they fight harder than a Bass and they get much bigger.
There are plenty of them and if you kill one or two who cares.
It would be helpful to our fisheries to thin them out.
You would be doing a good thing.
Some folks concider the lowly Carp as a fresh water bone fish and across the big pond they are the number one sport fish.
IMHO, Gamefish are for eating and the rest should be conciderd for sport.
I am not trying to start a war here. I am just trying to understand the reasoning.

By the way, it is unlawful to waist gamefish in Washington.
After reading all your post over the years I am honestly suprised you feel that way.

Carp fishing would be a lot of fun for kids to get into same with trout in my opinion its just boring in between fish.

I bass fish for the satisfaction of hunting them down, even a small fish gets me excited at times. The fight is a lot of fun especially a big bass, but not the only reason I bass fish.
Anthony

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:12 pm

WOW thanks for all the imput guys, still i just dont get the urge to even try it, i was out on Lake Samamish last Saturaday in my tub and saw a bunch of bass guys out there, and all i could think about was turning up my heater so i dont get cold. On sunday for our dinner we got to eat two superb rainbows.

Hewesfisher is spot on in the fact you have to bust ass sometimes to catch trout and then figure out what they fancy for their dinner. And we are targeting a huge body of water.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:25 pm

X2 plus we caught fish which is more than I can say for all the bass guys casting away trying to keep warm. I'd say we had a pretty darn nice afternoon, nothing boring about it at all! Bet dinner was good and the smokers are done tonight!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:08 pm

So my favorite parts of bass fishing seem to be very similar to duck hunting.

Duck hunting, I love collecting decoys and gear. In fact decoys are probably my single favorite part.
Bass fishing the same applies. I love the pride of catching a fish on a new rod meant for that fish, and that type of fishing. I love flipping open my tacklebox and browsing through the many types of lures.

Duck hunting I love exploring different areas and of course, being on the water. Different weather, seasonal patterns, and time of year play a huge role in how and where I'll find ducks.
Bass fishing... all the same stuff. Being on the water is the greatest place to be. Weather, season, etc. obviously plays a huge role.

Duck hunting I love appreciating the habitat and the beauty of the ducks. I can look at pictures all day long. I love talking about them, seeing the many different kinds, and reading about how people are taking them in other regions.
Bass are the same way. Though there may be fewer strains of bass than duck, I've noticed in this state alone I've seen so many different LOOKING bass that they may as well be different types of ducks.

Comradery and challenge. It's a great fight, and you know when you got a good one. I've met some great guys who are willing to meet me at 3am in 22F weather during the winter to go duck hunting. I learn new things by exposing myself to other people (LOL) and same with bass fishing, meeting other anglers on the water and learning from them while my friends and family are still sleeping.

Its kinda like a global community of anglers.:salut:

Slick_Rick
Petty Officer

Post by Slick_Rick » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:34 pm

[glare] Bass fishing is so popular because most anglers have to work for them,like putting the pieces of a puzzle together.Sight fishing for bass when their about to spawn is like kicking someone in the balls when their about to get some,there is no challenge in sight fishing for bass to me thats cheating and i view it as attempting to snag,and the big bass i catch i take a picture,weigh it,and measure it then release so it can get even bigger to fight another day.So i hope i don't see anyone sight fishing you might get your line cut or your feelings hurt!No one would poke a pregnant woman who's in labor its just common sense![-x
"If your not fishing your not catching"