Practice with my son..

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
jens
Commodore

Practice with my son..

Post by jens » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:00 pm

My son is 12 and plays little league. He has been an all-star since 10. He isn't the biggest kid in his class, but plays with the heart of Rudy or Samwise from Lord of the rings..Anyways, so yesterday, I was pitching tennis balls and racquet balls to him at a local elementary. I was pumping a little heat to him, but not too hard. Anyways, he'd been hitting the easier pitches, so I decided to pump one in on him..Well, he turned on it and hit it up the middle and plunked me in my shoulder..My reflexes aren't as what it used to be, but still have the agility of a 30yr old. The smirk on my son's face led me to do what any normal pitcher would do. So I plunked him. Not hard, but I know he wasn't expecting it and got him right on the thigh with the racquetball..He immediately dropped to the ground and grabbed his leg.."GET UP! Knock it off, that didnt hurt," I yelled. He rolled on the ground and layed there..Some righteous mother was watching and told me, actually she yelled at me to pick him up. I responded that he wasn't hurt and that champions pay the price..She even got more louder and yelled that I had better help him up or she was calling the police....Really?? I told her to go mind her own business and that he wasn't hurt. My son just lay there smiling. Is my behavior child abuse??
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Practice with my son..

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 pm

Dude, I had a huge smile on my face as I read this. Not because he got hurt, slightly. But because I could picture my son as I read. "Get up and stop being a baby" is what i heard when I was his age. I hate to say it but thats how we learn to control pain, by experiencing it. I wouldn't worry about the over protective soccer mom that has the neosporen and bandaids in her pocket, she will get her dues when hers never stop whining. Boys are boys are boys. Sometime women dont understand that. (no offence intended).

Abuse...? NO.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks RaMcVey- I was second guessing myself when that mom was yelling at me. and I'll still pitch to him the same way. I was using tennis balls and racquetballs!! Unbelievable.
"One more......."

Misselley
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Misselley » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:16 pm

RaMcVey wrote:Dude, I had a huge smile on my face as I read this. Not because he got hurt, slightly. But because I could picture my son as I read. "Get up and stop being a baby" is what i heard when I was his age. I hate to say it but thats how we learn to control pain, by experiencing it. I wouldn't worry about the over protective soccer mom that has the neosporen and bandaids in her pocket, she will get her dues when hers never stop whining. Boys are boys are boys. Sometime women dont understand that. (no offence intended).

Abuse...? NO.
No offense but I resemble that remark. Yes, I am the overprotctive mom that has a boy that whines a lot. Rich should know we live with him. #-o
Ellen McVey

Field Designs, Sponsor
www.FieldCustomDesigns.com
Cascade Musky Association.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:23 pm

I don't think it's abuse at all. What I think is that more and more kids could use a little toughening up. I do not condone abuse, but when our grandparents were left alone to dish out pain and punishment as a form of learning from your mistakes, I believe it made for stronger individuals with higher morals, standards, and convictions. Something our society could use a little more of these days.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:19 pm

Aaron wrote:I believe it made for stronger individuals with higher morals, standards, and convictions. Something our society could use a little more of these days.

=d>

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:31 pm

Jens my father would've done the same to me just as sure i'm going to do the same to my son when he gets old enough. Abuse: no. When i was a kid my father would swat me no matter where i was now you can't even scold your kid or lay a hand on them with out some nosy person complaining or yelling child abuse. What happened to our society, are people so afraid of laws that they don't even punish their children anymore. Because of the lack of punishment our society is raising children that don't fear the police or getting in trouble. Aaaaah the good old days.Ok im done.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Jens:-$ :cheers: Goods Lord we have grown soft my donor beat are $ss just for sport, Threw at are heads warming us up pregame.
Was a drafted Pro BB player
Saturday mornings after age 8= 100 push ups 75 sit ups, chores then a meal then sports

I was a big softie on mine but she knew what size 12 meant:colors: never touch her but in love and just changing my voice changed her game but she saw me fight a time or 12 that helped!:colors: :eye: LOL

I would have said My Dear let me call the cops for you:eye: :cheers:

Abuse is just that hurting not helping you do your own math I say you did swell.

Ever chop and cut 10 cords of wood for fun as a kid we did often and if we cried about it got KO and fast! lol

Lessons in life provide a reflexion for storms coming and after a event like that a big hug, son I love you you are doing swell as well and maybe a shake, burger and sharing after the training.=d> :thumright

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:29 am

I think even if an officer were to come over and ask what the commotion was about, he/she would have probably laughed. I have read tons of stories of parents who push their children athletes way too hard and then next thing you know that child is way off in left field...I have just let my son choose the sports he wants to try, let him go at his own pace. I haven't even pushed him into the sport that I did as a child/teenager, wrestling. And for those who were ever involved competitively in the sport knows how rigorous and tough it is..anyways, thank you all for making me feel my pushing my son is out of love and not abuse..
"One more......."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 pm

No abuse there..It was probably the same lady that threatened to call the police on me after hitting a Sealion with my wrist rocket. This thing put out some serious barking and this lady came out screaming.I did what any red blooded American would do.I left waving at her.(kinda a wave)
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 pm

You're fine. If anything else, I would have hurled that ball at her...then you would have had a show-down...cage-match...lol. :jocolor:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot