Tips & Tricks...

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
glastron876
Petty Officer

Tips & Tricks...

Post by glastron876 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:29 pm

I like this site as it is for everyone to learn from others, especially for new anglers, and for those looking to learn how to target other species than they usually go for. Unfortunately I have found over the years that most sites tend to share very little and if they actually do (and don't charge for it) they are rather cryptic in giving information to those looking for specific answers.

So my post/request is this... Share what you have learned, from others or yourself...

I WILL BEGIN...
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"

glastron876
Petty Officer

RE:Tips & Tricks...

Post by glastron876 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:36 pm

For Baitcasting.

Something I learned from someone who used to tour in Bass Tourny's.

In order to combat the dreaded BACKLASH when using baitcast reels.

1) Put your back to the wind.
2) Cast out a Spin Bait / Buzz Bait as far as possible, the wind will help carry the extra distance.
3) Using Scotch Tape - put a piece of tape around the spool and up to the line leading out. (all the way around)
4) Now reel in the line you just casted out.

- What does this do ? Well - when a backlash occurs it will only go as far down the spool as the tape is. This will keep you from having to deal with a hole lot of extra line in the tangle.
- If you get a fish on the run, the tape will come off.
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"

glastron876
Petty Officer

Post by glastron876 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:35 am

For Baitcast Reels...

We all know that our baitcast reels operate with a ball bearing system.

BUT - did you know that when you cast, if you turn your rod so that the retrieve handles are at the top while you cast that the bearing system is used more effectively and this will allow for more distance, accuracy and minimize the possibility of backlashes ?

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Here's another interesting trick for Baitcast reels:

If you do end up getting a backlash, tighten down your drag as far as possible, clamp your thumb down on the spool, and turn the handle a few turns. The backlash should then just pull out without having to pick at knots/tangles. I learned this in an issue of BassMasters, and was skeptical at first, but it does work.