Goodbye...but I'll be back!

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:Goodbye...but I'll be back!

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:27 am

Rollin with Rolland wrote:Check out Stillwater, MN. right on the St.Croix river, at the MN/WI border. About 45 min. east of St. Paul. A small quaint river town with good walking, shopping (generally liked by the ladies), and dining. Probably great fall colors this time of the year also. Very nice. (maybe check this out Train tour )

Have fun, be safe.
Thanks for the tip on the train tour. Didn't have much of a plan with regards to sight-seeing, but made reservations on the Zephyr for tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks!!

As a side note, I did spot a Cabela's down the road on our way in...obviously had to make a stop there. :-"
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:48 am

Hey Chad,
glad you still have the internet. with 4 days to blow, you should have taken a quick trip to brainerd,MN for some wally fishing. i finally have them larger schools of perch on lake washington figured out, and, been working on my cutt fishing. by the time you get back, i should know some spots to hit. finally have another jeep to pull the smaller boat, so, will not need your truck this time. hit me up when you hit town, wther a year out or not, and, we''ll do some lake washington fishing. THANKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO OUR FREEDOM!! means alot to us, here in the states.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Hey Mike! Good to hear from you!

Had my little trip with the wifey been a bit more planned, I would have included a day or two of getting some line wet. These few days are hers...so I'll just have to settle for a nervous twitch and profuse sweating anytime I pass by all the ponds, rivers and lakes our rental car seems to be attracted to. :pale:

On Ft. McCoy there are many small lakes which have a wide selection of fish. Anything from trout and bass to crappie and bluegill. Our training is complete and we'll have about 6 days of downtime...hopefully I'll have the time to pick up a cheap rod, reel and some assorted gear and hit up some of those little ponds. One is up at the north end of the training area...right around two hundred acres or so with rental boats.

As far as fishing on LW goes...I'm always down for it. I'll definitely hit you up when I get back! Thanks!
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:Check out Stillwater, MN. right on the St.Croix river, at the MN/WI border. About 45 min. east of St. Paul. A small quaint river town with good walking, shopping (generally liked by the ladies), and dining. Probably great fall colors this time of the year also. Very nice. (maybe check this out Train tour )
Took the train tour today. Was fairly interesting for the most part. Got a brief history of the train itself and loaded up. Our table was in the "Grand Dome" car, which had a plexiglass dome roof so you could see all around the area. You could tell the train had some age to it, paint chipping off in places...some metal was showing fatigue here and there. The table where we were located had a problem with condensation on the dome and would drip on a couple that shared the table with us. I offered up my seat to the woman, but she refused to switch and decided to tough it out. Before we were half way through our first leg of the tour, the condensation dried up and didn't drip anymore.

I think there was only one couple that was anywhere near our age...the rest had us beat by at least 40 years. The couple we shared our table with were very friendly and talkative. They were celebrating their 50th anniversary, and their children bought them tickets to ride the train. They met while he was on tour in Germany as a supply officer in the Air Force.

The food was great...cocktails were tasty, as well. As a side note, I was talking to one of the employee's and the train is no longer going to run after the new year. The track is going to be torn up and the train will remain stationary until it sells. They did say, while it is sitting, they were going to be using it...but no tours anymore.

Anyrate, thanks for the suggestion of the train ride...the wife and I had a good time.
Chad

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:35 pm

God bless you and thank you for your service. Be safe. Have a great time with your wife before you leave. Keep us posted when you can while you are over there.
Rosann
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:16 am

Good to hear. Hopefully you two got to/are getting to spend some quality time together. Lead our troops bravely and wisely...we are all thinking of them.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:01 pm

Hey, there! Just droppin' by to say hi and see how everyone is doing. Everything here is just as dirty as I remember it. Don't get to see much during the daylight hours...we run missions at night. Just busy running convoy security for the most part. I've been to Fallujah, Ramahdi, Baghdad, Al Asad, Al Taqaddum...all over the place. I run what is called a "R.A.T. Truck" which is a reconnaissance advance team. Basically, we run route clearance for our convoy's. We travel in advance of the convoy and mark the best and safest routes, mark and clear obstacles, check the routes for IED's, etc. It's not too bad a job. Just get out ahead of everyone else and do our thing. Anyrate, hope everyone is doing well, hope you have a great holiday season.
Chad

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:32 pm

God bless you Big Graham:cheers: Hoya= Give them Hell if they want some.
Plus come back safe and well we need more studs like YOU!:bounce:
When your back PM me YOUR IN!!!!
(Big Red One) Your a hero put a dent in it!:-$

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Stay safe, Chad. Merry Christmas:cheers: Hope you are getting a chance to relax and tie up some flies.:thumright

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:33 pm

Chad, hope you have a Merry Christmas and a good new year too. Stay safe.
Rosann
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:36 am

Hey Chad,

Good to hear from you. Let us know when your headed back,we'll have to fish Tanwax for some crappie
and bass,any lake,any species for that matter. We appreciate your dedicated service.
Be safe out there brother and have a wonderful Christmas.
Talk to you soon
Kevin

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 am

Hello! Just dropping by...the site has changed quite a bit since I was last here. Looks great! Can't wait to get home and get back on. Haven't gotten to do any fishing...probably won't either. Tied a few flies with a buddy of mine, but don't have the time to sit down and tie as much as I would like.

Anyrate, won't be long now until we're headed home...a couple months to go. Hope everyone is doing well. Catch a few for me. Be safe.
Chad

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon May 11, 2009 7:37 am

Hey Chad, good to hear from you. Hope all is well considering the lack of fishing.
Let me know when your back in town,we'll slam Tanwax.
Take care and be safe.
Kevin

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Mon May 11, 2009 8:29 am

My friend, and best fishing partner, will be headed home the same time as you.. something like July 18th. Can't wait! We've fished for years just doing the best we could to get out on the lakes, but now that I have a real boat we're going to get to the places we've always wanted to go, and we're going to slaughter them! :)
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon May 11, 2009 9:47 am

All the best wishes from the fishing collector.....Looking forward to your safe return. Keep up with the forums and we will always leave a spot for you on the water. May God Speed . Your WL Friend, Steve
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri May 22, 2009 8:07 pm

godspeed.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU