Textbook rant

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Textbook rant

Post by hookorcrook » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Are you kidding me??? $303.00 for two college textbooks!? That's what I spent today. One of them was used. The other they don't offer used, because the instructor wants us to use new. Is this instructor a vampire? Does he/she know you can't get blood from a turnip? Apparently, I am the turnip in this scenario. But still, are you kidding me?
Suzanne

joshswrench
Petty Officer

RE:Textbook rant

Post by joshswrench » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Sorry to hear dude... welcome to college! LOL I paid about the same for mine so don't feel to bad!
Tight lines, JG

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:48 pm

Are the books printed with gold? Thats insane

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:10 pm

hookemdanno wrote:Are you kidding me??? $303.00 for two college textbooks!? That's what I spent today. One of them was used. The other they don't offer used, because the instructor wants us to use new. Is this instructor a vampire? Does he/she know you can't get blood from a turnip? Apparently, I am the turnip in this scenario. But still, are you kidding me?

Been there,, done that. It is messed up that the people paying for that are often on a budget college students, unless of course you've some working parents helping you out. But still....
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:40 pm

$400-$800 per quarter for me for books for 4 classes.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kantill
Warrant Officer

Post by kantill » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:49 pm

The good news is you can sell them back to make back some of the cash. Also the other option is to check out half.com if you can get the isbn number.
Need tech support? I can Help!
http://www.crossloop.com/KellyAntill

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:36 pm

kantill wrote:The good news is you can sell them back to make back some of the cash. Also the other option is to check out half.com if you can get the isbn number.
Unless they want the new edition for the new classes and then they don't want your older edition back.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

swifty
Angler

Post by swifty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:31 pm

I always found Amazon.com had good deals on text books. A lot of times you can find used ones real cheap. You can also sell your text books on there.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:09 pm

Just finished school. Glad I don't have to buy anymore books.
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:48 am

It may be expensive but the overall outcome is usually worth it.The good thing about having to buy the books is now you are committed even more after spending the money for education and not on fishing gear.I wish I graduated from college.I went one year and made the poor choice and quit.You cant pay too much for education.Its priceless.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:54 am

hookem I feel your pain one of my books for next quarter cost 220 new and 160 used for my welding theory class talk about breaking the bank.I then another 140 interpersonal communication.I midht have to go sell some plasma or blood to get the extra money(lol)not really I got finacial aid and work study so I will be doing allright.I went to the book buy back day and they only offered me 30 bucks for a book I paid 120 for so I traded it to someone else who was taking the class and they had a book I needed so if you can hook up with someone has taking some of the same classes as you and work out a exchange program that might help.But yes I feel your pain.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 am

Want more of the same? Vote Mc Cain & the Republicans.
Where ever I go........There I am!

crappie007
Warrant Officer

Post by crappie007 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:48 am

My son carried a 3.6 GPA in computer science last year and is getting enough scholarship
money to cover his books. But I agree the price is outrageous. However in the long run all of you college students and grads should make your money back a thousand fold.
College Rocks!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Toni wrote:
kantill wrote:The good news is you can sell them back to make back some of the cash. Also the other option is to check out half.com if you can get the isbn number.
Unless they want the new edition for the new classes and then they don't want your older edition back.
Bingo. But I did find out that this textbook will work for the two consecutive classes I'm taking. So that only makes it about $90 per quarter. Is that reason to smile? :eye:
Suzanne

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:41 pm

racfish wrote:It may be expensive but the overall outcome is usually worth it.The good thing about having to buy the books is now you are committed even more after spending the money for education and not on fishing gear.I wish I graduated from college.I went one year and made the poor choice and quit.You cant pay too much for education.Its priceless.
racfish, I'm definitely committed. I'm 42, and was a high school drop out. I've gone back to college after a 10 year hiatus. I had almost 2 yrs of college under my belt and figured I better go back, cause what am I going to do if I don't?...work crappy jobs the rest of my life? I tranfer to the UW next year, and recently I got my GED. Now I'm officially as smart as an eighteen year old :cheers:

College is the best thing I've done for myself in, well, ten years since I stopped going. I would encourage anybody who is thinking about it to take the plunge. It is well worth it. And it's more than a means to an end. It's like they say, "It's the journey, not the destination." And the journey's a great one, just pricey.

Suzanne
Suzanne

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:12 am

I have an aunt who did the same as you did.She got married right after WW@ at 18 yo and started having kids and gave up her education.After her husband passed on she went back to college.She went to the U of W and last year got a degree in Art History and Eastern European history at the age of 77 yo.Not bad.Im proud of her and her commitment to education.I tip my hat to the both of you and everyone at any age thats willing to learn.

"YOU GO GIRL"(s)
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:47 pm

racfish wrote:I have an aunt who did the same as you did.She got married right after WW@ at 18 yo and started having kids and gave up her education.After her husband passed on she went back to college.She went to the U of W and last year got a degree in Art History and Eastern European history at the age of 77 yo.Not bad.Im proud of her and her commitment to education.I tip my hat to the both of you and everyone at any age thats willing to learn.

"YOU GO GIRL"(s)
That's so awesome! I've always joked that I'll be the 80 yr old lady on the evening news shown getting my degree. Your aunt rocks!
Suzanne