Really dissapointing

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Really dissapointing

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:35 am

I, at one time, thought much higher of some of the poeple that post here. But a few of you are screwing it up. Lossing respect fast...

Keep to the topic, if someone asks a question about a lifevest or whatnot, where do youget off ragging them for spelling or some other thing. I bet your all perfect too and have alwayse done everything perfect your whole life.

I mean really, does a fishing pole make you a life judge?

Lets start looking at the posts that the critics are making, lots of uninteligent comments there. Go look.

Well at least there is a good point comming out of the crappy behavior in the threads, Its easy to tell which of you I dont want to fish with.

cavdad45
Commodore

RE:Really dissapointing

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:43 pm

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out. And sometimes the kid with the poking stick doesn't apologize. It happens.

We all want to have good discussions and have our questions answered, but with over 3400 members with varied backgrounds, things can get a little "rude." It's part of the environment of cyberspace.

None of us are perfect and sometimes we react inappropriately to a post. (We've all done it at one time or another or will do it.) Arguments have even come out of our threads.

But those are the rare moments because most of the posts, even in areas of disagreement, are handled with respect and dignity. Occassionally, some twit will sign on for the sole purpose of disruption and to start fights, but these characters are usually done away with in short order by the regulars.

I guess what I am trying to say is... Stuff happens, don't let it get under your skin 'cause ain't worth it. Enjoy the good folks at wl.com and let the others fall by the wayside. The members with class vastly outnumber the knuckleheads.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Nicely said cav=d> =d> =d>
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Fishinislife and I just had a brief discussion about this over PM's and we both had the same thoughts on this. If you see something that is ruining a thread or offends you just ignore that thread for the time being and report the incodent to Mike or Aaron, I am sure that they will look into the problem if requested.

You will always have people around that you find irritating, so the best you can do is ignore them. Remember if you jump in and go after a person yourself, it only adds fuel to the fire.

We all should just try and let Mike and Aaron handle these undesirable posters themselves, as it is thier site after all.
They have worked hard to make this a great site and I am sure they won't let it be ruined by a few knuckle-heads.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:02 pm

Cav you are so insanely wrong its almost intolerable....
It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out.
Thats all wrong!

---> Its all fun and games until someone gets their NOSE poked out.

All well stated posts.

E

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:11 pm

yup, yup, yup, yup - but it's nose picked out :-&

Seriously, for some reason this week has been a real pain in the suspension department. I hadn't handed out any in months it seemed like. Must be the hot weather.

There's that line that people stray over making a point in which they get mean, nasty and generally foul. Nature of the internet I suppose. As always, my guiding rule of thumb is "Would you say that in a public place with everyone listening to the conversation?" Because hey, that's what this Forum is.

BTW, I would say that 99.9% of the posts and posters are good, fair, and decent.
You guys are one big extended fishing family.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:54 pm

For me I'm just going to take a little break. I hear what your ya'll are saying and since I've been on fishing forums the past 8 years (this one 2) there is always someone. Nothing you can do about it. Stay cival and be kind. But for some its easy to fly off the handle. All I can say in the years I have been around is to just ignore those that annoy you and keep posting quality information. They will eventually get tired and burt out of all the positiveness and go away. If you don't fuel the fire it will die out. That's the best advice I can give.
If you notice someone who might be "one of those", just stay off the thread. I try to avoid any post that I know is looking like it could go south real quick. Stay cool guys, and see ya on the water. Remember, around here it's all about fishing.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Just a quick FYI... the next upgrade to the forum software will be HUGE and one of the needed items that will come with it is a "Report this Post" link on every post so it will be quick and easy to report an offending post.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Cav you are so insanely wrong its almost intolerable....
It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out.
Thats all wrong!

---> Its all fun and games until someone gets their NOSE poked out.

All well stated posts.

E
Is that your liberal spin? LOL

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:12 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
I would say that 99.9% of the posts and posters are good, fair, and decent.
You guys are one big extended fishing family.
Well put Mike.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:51 pm

I would like for all who reads this to know something. Several times I have gotten a PM from a member requesting some action be taken about a post. The message usually starts with "Marc, sorry to bother you......."

I would like to say that it in no means is a bother. Anytime that we can help out on the forum, please send us a PM or E-mail. We enjoy getting your messages and appreciate them fully. Beside, I don't get much e-mail, so a letter from someone is really a treat!:cheers:

It is your forum, let us help you out.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:47 am

i agree RaMcVey i have posted threads and people have stated rude things to me about my spelling..allthough spelling isnt my best subject. i try my hardest.i think that people need to treat eachouther the way they would like to be treated!it is very imprtant that we all do that cause.we must set a good example for the younger ones. and it is the correct thing to do. my dad allwas tought me to treat people the way i would like to be treated.and to allways catch and release. i would like to say that even thought my spelling isint the great.mabey some people can spell great outhers suck at math.everyone has flaws and everyone has things that they are great at.but spelling isint one of my great things...if noone can understand what im speakign of.baislcy.im saying to.treat eachout as you would like to be treated.everyone is not perfect.people are people. if thats hard to understand then.idk
''Treat people and animals the way you would want to be treated''
catch and release!! ~Dont worry about me and what i do.worry about your own self~

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:54 am

I do have a little advice.

Have you considered actually bettering yourself and taking on some of the vocabulary and spelling issues? One thing to bear in mind (and take away from this little spat) is that your going to be perceived a certain way by the majority of people based on how you communicate with them. To defend yourself is human nature, but to take this as a lesson, improve something you have problems with, and become something more than you are now is an opportunity.

Believe me, becoming a better communicator will take you very far in life. Learning to deal with harsh criticism in a way that isn't retreatist and defensive is a very powerful tool. Look at the two groups of obese (Im talking OBESE) people. One group believes in agencies like NAAFA (Nat'l assoc. for the Acceptance of Fat People, no Im not making this stuff up), the other group realizes that it isn't healthy and might kill them much sooner than most. Do you want to hide behind the protection of accusing others of being bad at math, or do you want to become enlightened and learn?

E

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:27 pm

The points have been made. Let's bring this subject to a close and move on.