Music?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
KurtO
Warrant Officer

RE:Music?

Post by KurtO » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Gringo! Thats amazing you've seen mad season they were very short lived band due to layne staley's unfortunate herion addiction. He was the frontman of Alice in Chains. It seems the best die young. Jim Morrison, Syd Barret ( he just went crazy), Janis Joplin, John Bonham, Jeff Buckley. Is anyone going to be joining me at The Gorge to see Tom Petty in early July?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:39 pm

KurtO wrote:Gringo! Thats amazing you've seen mad season they were very short lived band due to layne staley's unfortunate herion addiction. He was the frontman of Alice in Chains. It seems the best die young. Jim Morrison, Syd Barret ( he just went crazy), Janis Joplin, John Bonham, Jeff Buckley. Is anyone going to be joining me at The Gorge to see Tom Petty in early July?
Yeah - Mad Season, New Years Eve at the old RockCNDY in Seattle - GREAT show - it was crazy! I was fortunate enough to live in downtown Seattle when Seattle was the place to be for music - Got to see Alice at the Central Tavern, Hammerbox & Soundgarden at the OK hotel, C.O.C. at RockCNDY, R.E.M. at the Croc, I could go on and on.. You can add Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone) and Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon) to the list of too young to go so soon.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:18 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:
KurtO wrote:Gringo! Thats amazing you've seen mad season they were very short lived band due to layne staley's unfortunate herion addiction. He was the frontman of Alice in Chains. It seems the best die young. Jim Morrison, Syd Barret ( he just went crazy), Janis Joplin, John Bonham, Jeff Buckley. Is anyone going to be joining me at The Gorge to see Tom Petty in early July?
Yeah - Mad Season, New Years Eve at the old RockCNDY in Seattle - GREAT show - it was crazy! I was fortunate enough to live in downtown Seattle when Seattle was the place to be for music - Got to see Alice at the Central Tavern, Hammerbox & Soundgarden at the OK hotel, C.O.C. at RockCNDY, R.E.M. at the Croc, I could go on and on.. You can add Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone) and Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon) to the list of too young to go so soon.
The only song I know by mad season is "river of deciet" and that's an awesome one!
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:31 pm

KurtO wrote: anyone going to be joining me at The Gorge to see Tom Petty in early July?
I'm trying to get out there...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

KurtO
Warrant Officer

Post by KurtO » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Alright. If I can get out of work that day I'll be seeing you there.

Gringo, I've seen AIC three times. Two with the original lead singer Layne Staley, then once with the new one. Mother Love Bone? Excellent. I think the "seattle sound" that happend in early 90's is the best thing that has happend to rock music for a long time. I take you've seen mudhoney too?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 pm

KurtO wrote: Gringo, I've seen AIC three times. Two with the original lead singer Layne Staley, then once with the new one. Mother Love Bone? Excellent. I think the "seattle sound" that happend in early 90's is the best thing that has happend to rock music for a long time. I take you've seen mudhoney too?
Yeah, Mudhoney was always a blast.

Never heard of Mother Love Bone? Duude! (in my best Spicoli impersonation:geek: ).. Mother Love Bone helped to launch it all. Here is a little Seattle music scene history for you.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Love_Bone

To futher that history, Temple of the Dog was formed as a tribute to Andrew Wood http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_the_Dog

See - we're all connected...:flower:

Beerman - If you like river - the whole album.. err CD.. err playlist has that same mood, vibe - check it out.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Willie Nelson
Santana
Queen
Pink Floyd
Stepponwolf
Waylon
Gretchen Wilson
Josh Turner
Dido
Conway Twitty
ZZ Top
Tanya Tucker
John Coltrane
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

KurtO
Warrant Officer

Post by KurtO » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:49 pm

No I said mother love bone was excellent. You are one lucky sob to see all those bands.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:12 pm

I like most of the metals'
grunge
The greats VH, AC/DC, Def Lepard, Led Zepplin, The Greatfull Dead, Boston, on and on and on.
Contemperary Rock
Alternitive
Classic Rock from The 70s, 80s, 90s
I could go on and on.

I was listening to Van Halens Greatist as I was surfing the site.

P.S. There is very little Country and RB I like, although there is some.
Well its not called Catching!

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:57 pm

I listen to the Cathedrals, Gold City, the Statesmen, and pretty much any Southern Gospel quartet.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 pm

SPARKY101 wrote:
iPodrodder wrote:
Aaron wrote: Ahh.. S.O.D... I remember bringing an S.O.D. album over to my grandparents house (not to listen to it.. I had just retruned from the record store). My uncle was there, watching me till my mother picked me up. He demanded to see the album cover so he could read the lyrics. He then locked me in a bedroom till my mother got there. That didn't exactly work. I climbed out a window and came back around the time she was supposed to arrive. She chewed him out for having the audacity to think he could tell me what to do or think or listen to. Those were the days.
Then she read your album cover, apologized to your uncle and they both chewed you out. :cheers: :-"
"I want some milk"
OK, who the heck is S.O.D. Something tells me you aren't referring to "System of a Down?"

Beerman

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Storm Troopers of Death!!! Who the heck is!!! did you live a sheltered life? Just playing And ill drink a buttface amber ale to that"no its not a rainbow issue either"
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:32 pm

beerman1981 wrote:
OK, who the heck is S.O.D. Something tells me you aren't referring to "System of a Down?"

Beerman
Haha Im right with you, I had no clue who they were talking about, and thought I was missing out on something huge in music. Never heard of system of a down either though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:43 pm

t-pain, goo goo dolls, ian van dahl, ferry corsten, wyclef & nia
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Awoods wrote:
beerman1981 wrote:

Beerman
Haha Im right with you, I had no clue who they were talking about, and thought I was missing out on something huge in music. Never heard of system of a down either though.
Well I'm glad I'm not alone on S.O.D. As for System of a Down, it takes a special person to get into them. If you like music that is highly political, and left wing by a group of Armenians who yell and scream, and make weird jibberish noises, all the while screaming their guitars to the point of distortion, who's lyrics are sometimes undecipherable, then this is your band! Otherwise, you probably won't like it. I can't get my wife or any of my friends into System of a Down, they just don't understand:-(

(Then I switch from System of a Down to Johnny Cash and from Johnny Cash to Fleetwood Mac.... My music tastes are all over the board).

Beerman

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 pm

beerman1981 wrote:
Awoods wrote:
beerman1981 wrote:

Beerman
Well I'm glad I'm not alone on S.O.D. As for System of a Down, it takes a special person to get into them. If you like music that is highly political, and left wing by a group of Armenians who yell and scream, and make weird jibberish noises, all the while screaming their guitars to the point of distortion, who's lyrics are sometimes undecipherable, then this is your band! Otherwise, you probably won't like it. I can't get my wife or any of my friends into System of a Down, they just don't understand:-(

(Then I switch from System of a Down to Johnny Cash and from Johnny Cash to Fleetwood Mac.... My music tastes are all over the board).

Beerman
Nice. I tend to go with whatever sounds good at the time. Right before a wrestling match I usually listen to someting that pumps me up like ozzy or the bitter sweet symphony(seahawks entrance music) stuff like that. Whatever I'm listening to always depends on the situation. I dont get too much into that screaming stuff, or the new alternative rock groups(horrible stuff!) I do have a wide variety of genres I listen to though.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 pm

I listen pretty much to the hip hop and rap that started around 88 and 89 to about 95 cause they were pretty real. Itd from before i was born but it sounds so much better. Sometimes i wish i was my current age back then so i knew more about all of this old school stuff. I dont really like all the lyrics i just like the sound (thats just from the super gangster rap though, like nwa)
I dont listen to any of the new hip hop cause it all sounds the same, and it all sucks. All they talk about is cars, girls and money, and pretend to be gangsters and just look like idiots pretty much.
My favorites are:
NWA (and the members after they split, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy E
Public Enemy
Run DMC
KRS-One
Tupac
Snoop Dogg
B.I.G
and some more but its hard to make a list.

i listen to more than hip hop though but not enought to make another list.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:28 pm

JT26 wrote: I dont really like all the lyrics i just like the sound (thats just from the super gangster rap though, like nwa)
I dont listen to any of the new hip hop cause it all sounds the same, and it all sucks. All they talk about is cars, girls and money, and pretend to be gangsters and just look like idiots pretty much.
That is rap. Hip hop is different. Rap attracts people because of the chorus's and the beats. They are appealing and popular to people...

Some common rap artists:
50 Cent
The Game
Ice Cube
TI
Obie Trice

for comparison, here are some "Hip Hop" artists...
Blue Scholars (Seattle band)
Zion I
Living Legends
Geto Boys

There is a difference. Hip hop artists don't produce songs about money, cars, girls, clubs, etc. That is rap, which is the mainstream stuff. Hip Hop is the stuff that can be found on the radio, but it is produced by people who have more "meaningful" if you will, lyrics and such to their music because they are inspired to produce it because it is part of their life. Rap is just mainstream music that is all about selling the most albums, thus is all about making the most appealing beats/chorus...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Yeah i know there are differences, but its just the way i categorize them :)
btw 50 cent is one of the worst ever imo
And i know what your saying about the mainstream stuff. The thing i dont understand is how so many people go out and buy the mainstream music. And another thing i dont understand is how a person can turn on there radio, and listen to t-pain, akon, plus those southern rappers all day.
Southern rap also pisses me off. I like outkast, and music like that, but i hate how all those other guys come from Atlanta make one song, then you never hear from them again.

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:59 pm

JT26 wrote:Yeah i know there are differences, but its just the way i categorize them :)
btw 50 cent is one of the worst ever imo
And i know what your saying about the mainstream stuff. The thing i dont understand is how so many people go out and buy the mainstream music. And another thing i dont understand is how a person can turn on there radio, and listen to t-pain, akon, plus those southern rappers all day.
Southern rap also pisses me off. I like outkast, and music like that, but i hate how all those other guys come from Atlanta make one song, then you never hear from them again.
I agree with you, I hate almost all modern-day rap and hip-hop, but I do like T-pain, he is one that you just know all the lyrics to automatically. But like you I really like the old school stuff. Nuaghty by nature, Eazy E, Warren G, Nate Dogg.
You down with OPP!:dj: