Does anyone else tow a boat with a 29" RV?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
cobrar543
Lieutenant

Does anyone else tow a boat with a 29" RV?

Post by cobrar543 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 pm

We are buying a Class C motor home, 29 foot. Since the wife wanted to buy a place west, and I wanted to buy a place in Chelan, we bought this one. I know a few boat ramps that will allow me to to launch with Gigantor. Does anyone have some favorites I can add to them?
Last edited by cobrar543 on Fri May 19, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sideburns
Commander

Re: Does anyone else two a boat with a 29" RV?

Post by Sideburns » Fri May 19, 2017 3:14 pm

20 or 29 ft? Are you asking for specific ramps that have lots of room, or advice in general for launching a boat with an rv? Post & title are a little contradictory and difficult to understand.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Re: Does anyone else tow a boat with a 29" RV?

Post by cobrar543 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Fixed. Your right. Auto spell messed that up. Looking for extra large ramps that I can turn in. Correct Don't look forward backing up a quarter mile with it yet.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri May 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Cant help- with chelan area, but Ive got my 15ft boat and 27ft motorhome pretty dialed in for launching. Before switching to a new longer and wider trailer, launching the little boat was horrid. Short trailers are always hard, but our size range rv's have exceptionally long back ends, which multiply's the fun! I ended up mounting little tubes to fenders of the trailer, so I could slide some visual reference poles into position at the launch so that I could always see both sides of the trailer in the mirrors. It was still tough until I got a larger boat's trailer, lengthened the tongue a few feet and fit it to my little boat. This doesn't affect turning radius too much , when its already behind a land yacht...

Our 17ft boat is still tough, but I think im gonna have to get one of those wireless back up camera setups to help me out. If you dont already have one, theyre getting dirt cheap on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IR-Rea ... fP&vxp=mtr 70 bucks now!

Ive installed 2 for customers, they work great, and have nice guide lines overlayed on the screen. My folks rv came with one that has multiple cameras to switch views.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 pm

wow some are even less than 30 bucks now on ebay............ crazy cheap

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Really not to much of a problem backing up, the main thing I do is keep the left side of the boat in view all the time, I have a 32 ft super C with a 17 ft alumweld stryker, has a back up camera but I rarely use it, except when hooking up. I have launched at most of the launches on Chelan., Roosevelt ,up to Keller Ferry, Ilwaco Astoria, also Seatons Grove by the the net pens, it just takes practice.....practice....practice........before you tie up a launch for a long time.....

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Ty. Gives me more confidence I can get it right.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun May 21, 2017 6:20 am

I've launched our 20' ProV with our 24' class C hassle free. Even though it has a huge picture window in the back, I'm still an all mirror guy when backing. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 am

hewesfisher wrote:I've launched our 20' ProV with our 24' class C hassle free. Even though it has a huge picture window in the back, I'm still an all mirror guy when backing. [wink]
Been known to happen. I never really learned to back a rig until I was forced to learn with 18 tires on the ground. It's nearly impossible for me to back while looking over my shoulder. Mirrors are much better for backing and when you have a backup camera too, it's nothing but money!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue May 23, 2017 7:23 am

Bodofish wrote:
hewesfisher wrote:I've launched our 20' ProV with our 24' class C hassle free. Even though it has a huge picture window in the back, I'm still an all mirror guy when backing. [wink]
Been known to happen. I never really learned to back a rig until I was forced to learn with 18 tires on the ground. It's nearly impossible for me to back while looking over my shoulder. Mirrors are much better for backing and when you have a backup camera too, it's nothing but money!
How I learned too, just not with 18 on the ground. Drove refrigerated box trucks from 12K to 44k gross when working for an old school ice company in my late teens. All trucks were gas powered, largest was tandem axle rig with a 5 & 4 trans and required what was then known as "combination endorsement" and was one I enjoyed driving most. We had contracts with 7-11 and Associated Grocers (to name a few) to service ice merchandisers. Got so good with mirrors I could back squarely to the building and stop within a couple inches of the fascia. Some things never leave you. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Yep, pretty much same, same. Fish company moving totes of herring from down town SF to South SF for processing. The truck was an old Pete with Brownie 4 and 4. Lots of shifters going every which way. I rode and then drove with a guy for a few hours and then backed into a few spots in Mission district. One try only, if you didn't get it there a lot really P!$$ed people getting out for their cars and yelling. All I had to do was take a written test for my combi license back then. Good thing times have changed. In the 90's they started doing all the testing medical with car driving effects your truck endorsement, and I said, I really don't need to drive anymore big rigs. It's fun for a trip or two but it gets really old fast. Never looked back but I can still back anything as long as I have mirrors.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!