Is it ok to just drive the speed limit in the left lane?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Is it ok to just drive the speed limit in the left lane?

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:36 pm

People oblivious or obnoxious in the left lane, how do you feel?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical ... vp-AAidJpP
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Is it ok to just drive the speed limit in the left lane?

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:09 pm

I have heard many idiots saying things like "I pay taxes for both lanes. I can drive in either one as long as Im not speeding!"

Selfish and/or stupid idiots.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Only if your passing someone who is going under the speed limit! Freak'n left lane cloggers drive me batty. As long as you're legitimately passing someone, I don't care how fast you're driving, but once the left lane is open or you're no longer overtaking other vehicles clear the left lane!!!!

....uh, not that I have a strong opinion about it or anything. [blink]

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Its also legal to exceed the speed limit while passing. I forget by how much, but its at least 5 mph.

Edit:

Turns out there is no fixed limit. You can speed as long as its not "excessive".

RCW 46.61.425
Minimum speed regulation—Passing slow moving vehicle.
(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to the provisions of RCW 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Keep right except to pass or make a turn, it's actually a State law and one I wish they'd enforce more often. If you aren't passing anyone in the left lane(s), it doesn't really mattrer how fast or slow you are going, get yourself in the right lane where you belong.

Now there is an instance where I will cut people some slack. If you are on a stretch of one of our "wonderfully" maintained interstates and and the right lane(s) are beating the crud out of your rig, I have been known to move over into a left lane to keep my teeth from rattling out of my skull. I'm still mindful of impeading traffic while doing so and will move to the right if I see people coming up on me.

GeoFishing
Petty Officer

Post by GeoFishing » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Slower traffic always stays in the right lane atleast respectful slower drivers. This elimates traffic and aggravation. Your allowed to with no risk drive 5mph over the speed limit. And a slight risk going 10over but in most cases that is OK as well. Really depends on the cops in the area. But if speed limit is 45 and your driving 45 I'd advise staying in the right lane. Most drivers stay 10mph over the posted speed limit.