Wild rabbit issues

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
BARCHASER10
Captain

Wild rabbit issues

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:14 pm

This is kind of a weird question. I have a fairly large lot .4 acre. Its pie shaped and the large part of the pie is the backyard. Back yard is about 1/3 grass and the rest shrubs, ferns etc.

All of a sudden this year I have rabbits galore. Must be 7-8 of them running around and I've never had them before. Kind of cute. I don't have a vegetable garden so no problem there. They don't seem to be causing problems so far. They graze on the grass some and that's about it. Do they cause problems? If I need to get rid of them how do I do it? I don't want to kill the things.

Thanks!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Wild rabbit issues

Post by Amx » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Get rid of them. They kill dogs and chase kids.

[scared]

Oh, no, that's coyotes.
Tom.

Interests: living

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:17 pm

I live in a City residential area with lots of traffic. We have tons of bunny's. Way more than 7 or 8. For the most part they won't harm anything. The only thing I would worry about are any flowers or plants that your spouse might want left alone.
And if you have a cat that wants to be a mother, that can cause another problem. My cat has brought home more than a dozen baby bunny's and seems to want to raise them. I have taken a couple spills in the house chasing those little critters around trying to catch them. ](*,) ](*,)
I think that in your case you might want to get some Live traps and relocate them if you can.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:49 pm

You'll want to get rid of them as they will eventually start eating spots in your grass to the roots. Once that happens you need to fence off the area as they'll just continue to eat any new shoots. Also, they will bring in predators, we now have coyotes and bobcats in the neighborhood. trap and relocate if it makes you feel better, just get them out of the area as 7 or 8 rabbits will become over a 100 in short order. I let my dogs loose in the back yard and they will get a couple each year. I also thin the heard when I can in the front yard, but it is really hard to keep up with them. If discharging and pellet rifle is legal in your area, that would be my recommendation. Get some good hunting ammo and you can take out adult rabbits with no problems.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:44 pm

We use to have about 30 or so on our 10 acres in the woods.....than the bobcats moved in....in about 3 months no rabbits. Like the rabbits much more, couldn't let the cats out without an armed guard,.....any way took care of the bobcat s.......would like to have the rabbits back, but bobcat s are back,,,,,not many .........new cat is a house cat......

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:51 am

Them wild Rabbits make a fine meal.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:59 am

YellowBear wrote:Them wild Rabbits make a fine meal.
Do not under any circumstances eat wild rabbits from the West Side. They are disease riddled little buggers. You can pick up some very nasty bugs from them. Also not much meat on a two pound critter. Buy one from a butcher if you want to eat rabbit.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:18 pm

Bodofish wrote:
YellowBear wrote:Them wild Rabbits make a fine meal.
Do not under any circumstances eat wild rabbits from the West Side. They are disease riddled little buggers. You can pick up some very nasty bugs from them. Also not much meat on a two pound critter. Buy one from a butcher if you want to eat rabbit.
To be safe no matter which side of the hills you're on - never eat wild bunnies until AFTER a good long hard freeze.

This is natures way of culling out the diseased critters as they won't survive it.

onmygame

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:51 pm

bugs never seemed to bother the bobcats..... like a 22 lr did......................

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Bobcats have as many worms and fleas and lice and flukes and......... As the bunnies do, certainly wouldn't eat them although some good harsh chems on the pelt and you'd have yourself a nice trophy. I have found a barking dog will keep them away from anyone's yard. Well bigger than a little fluffy....... I would be more concerned with yotes, they're a lot bolder.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Not very, well.... humanitarian...but I do have an old Red Ryder BB gun. A few applications of that remedy has seemed to encourage them to seek another venue.